Jump to content
yatescory

The Age Old Tables Question...

Recommended Posts

Will DMG ever make board game tables?  I know they make fantastic slab tables now but I am talking about your typical speed cloth recessed player area style tables.   I am asking because I am thinking about saving for one which will take me a VERRRRY long time,  but  I would much rather start saving for at DMG one.  Here's to hoping....this year?  I know they have a lot on their plates right now and I am sure if they launched a tables KS it would be huge and I don't know if they are ready for that big of thing just yet...or are they?  😁 Please, please please start making them! 1 million+ KS dollars sounds great doesn't it!  😄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 1:57 PM, yatescory said:

Will DMG ever make board game tables?  I know they make fantastic slab tables now but I am talking about your typical speed cloth recessed player area style tables.   I am asking because I am thinking about saving for one which will take me a VERRRRY long time,  but  I would much rather start saving for at DMG one.  Here's to hoping....this year?  I know they have a lot on their plates right now and I am sure if they launched a tables KS it would be huge and I don't know if they are ready for that big of thing just yet...or are they?  😁 Please, please please start making them! 1 million+ KS dollars sounds great doesn't it!  😄

Followed by 3+ years of people complaining "Where is my table?"   "What backer number are you on?"  "Why is this taking so long?" :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, yatescory said:

Will DMG ever make board game tables?  I know they make fantastic slab tables now but I am talking about your typical speed cloth recessed player area style tables.   I am asking because I am thinking about saving for one which will take me a VERRRRY long time,  but  I would much rather start saving for at DMG one.  Here's to hoping....this year?  I know they have a lot on their plates right now and I am sure if they launched a tables KS it would be huge and I don't know if they are ready for that big of thing just yet...or are they?  😁 Please, please please start making them! 1 million+ KS dollars sounds great doesn't it!  😄

Thank you for the vote of confidence. But, sadly, I will have to say no to this. We have talked a lot about tables over the years, especially when Geek Chic went under, but it is something we are going to stay away from. There are a couple of reasons for this.

First, our machinery is perfect for small projects. Tables wouldn't fit nicely on any of them. Our paint booth, for instance is too small. We couldn't CNC them like we would like to because our CNCs have a smaller footprint. This building we are in, while huge for our needs, would fill up immediately.

Lumber moves. It is a fact. Exotic lumbers move more. Because they are very dense, significantly more than most domestic lumber, it is a huge concern. Especially on bigger boards.

Lots of companies are in that market, including our biggest competitor, in a variety of ranges. We have been, and will continue to keep a very close eye on this segment of our market. I am especially curious to see if it bankrupts another company, as it did to Geek Chic. I know there where other factors there, but they went under with over a one year wait period on their tables. Going bankrupt while being very successful is not a great sign for the industry.

Time to fulfill. Building one table would take a while, building 1,000 of them would take years. The longer it takes to fulfill, the more it costs you. A lot more. A little lesson from CoCos.

And finally, the single biggest reason why we won't ever build them is delivery and our guarantee. So, we are in MI. Someone orders a table in CA. Something happens to it upon delivery, the wood warped, a scratch occurred, whatever it is. How do we fix it? Freight for a table would be insane. Shipping it there and back would be worse. Especially for a scratch on one surface. We could consider flying out and fixing it, but how would we sand it on site, or refinish it, our cut a rail that warped out of place. These are all things we could fix in house, but off site would be nearly impossible. So then what, full refund? Partial refund and an unhappy customer? Makes me nervous just thinking about it.

There are so many things that concern me about building high end tables that I just can't get behind it. Funny that you bring up the $1M KS, that would scare me the most. Being on the hook for 5000 tables would kill me.

Now, I know...never say never. But seriously, unless our company changed dramatically, we won't be building game tables in my lifetime.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Konas said:

Thank you for the vote of confidence. But, sadly, I will have to say no to this. We have talked a lot about tables over the years, especially when Geek Chic went under, but it is something we are going to stay away from. There are a couple of reasons for this.

First, our machinery is perfect for small projects. Tables wouldn't fit nicely on any of them. Our paint booth, for instance is too small. We couldn't CNC them like we would like to because our CNCs have a smaller footprint. This building we are in, while huge for our needs, would fill up immediately.

Lumber moves. It is a fact. Exotic lumbers move more. Because they are very dense, significantly more than most domestic lumber, it is a huge concern. Especially on bigger boards.

Lots of companies are in that market, including our biggest competitor, in a variety of ranges. We have been, and will continue to keep a very close eye on this segment of our market. I am especially curious to see if it bankrupts another company, as it did to Geek Chic. I know there where other factors there, but they went under with over a one year wait period on their tables. Going bankrupt while being very successful is not a great sign for the industry.

Time to fulfill. Building one table would take a while, building 1,000 of them would take years. The longer it takes to fulfill, the more it costs you. A lot more. A little lesson from CoCos.

And finally, the single biggest reason why we won't ever build them is delivery and our guarantee. So, we are in MI. Someone orders a table in CA. Something happens to it upon delivery, the wood warped, a scratch occurred, whatever it is. How do we fix it? Freight for a table would be insane. Shipping it there and back would be worse. Especially for a scratch on one surface. We could consider flying out and fixing it, but how would we sand it on site, or refinish it, our cut a rail that warped out of place. These are all things we could fix in house, but off site would be nearly impossible. So then what, full refund? Partial refund and an unhappy customer? Makes me nervous just thinking about it.

There are so many things that concern me about building high end tables that I just can't get behind it. Funny that you bring up the $1M KS, that would scare me the most. Being on the hook for 5000 tables would kill me.

Now, I know...never say never. But seriously, unless our company changed dramatically, we won't be building game tables in my lifetime.

It's all about pricing it so that you don't have 5000 ordered @Konas!

Just make them all out of Ziricote with a Waterfall Bubinga inlaid top!  It might still be a $1M KS - but that would be like a half dozen tables max :)

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

It's all about pricing it so that you don't have 5000 ordered @Konas!

Just make them all out of Ziricote with a Waterfall Bubinga inlaid top!  It might still be a $1M KS - but that would be like a half dozen tables max :)

 

Yeah, I wouldn't be nervous about shipping THAT at all!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thomas Browne said:

It's all about pricing it so that you don't have 5000 ordered @Konas!

Just make them all out of Ziricote with a Waterfall Bubinga inlaid top!  It might still be a $1M KS - but that would be like a half dozen tables max :)

 

@Thomas Browne this has to be by far the best idea you have ever pitched to @Konas.  Ziricote w/ a Waterfall Bubinga inlaid top!?!!?!?!  That screams TGPumpkin all over it so clearly the rest of the world would want it too.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tgpumpkin said:

@Thomas Browne this has to be by far the best idea you have ever pitched to @Konas.  Ziricote w/ a Waterfall Bubinga inlaid top!?!!?!?!  That screams TGPumpkin all over it so clearly the rest of the world would want it too.  

And it comes with a free Dusty Doom (tm)!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

And it comes with a free Dusty Doom (tm)!!!

.......ok you’ve earned back your bench privileges

*slaps seat next to him*

welcome back big guy....

8D4DF872-D94B-4DFD-A61D-9B5FBD67C1C8.jpeg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:10 PM, tgpumpkin said:

.......ok you’ve earned back your bench privileges

*slaps seat next to him*

welcome back big guy....

8D4DF872-D94B-4DFD-A61D-9B5FBD67C1C8.jpeg

This is still the greatest photoshop work I have ever done, if I do say so myself.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Konas said:

This is still the greatest photoshop work I have ever done, if I do say so myself.

Your countless years in academic study in the arts has truly paid off.  Pretty sure this photoshop is the highlight of your career.  Surely you will keep it in your professional portfolio 😛 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Konas said:

This is still the greatest photoshop work I have ever done, if I do say so myself.

I thought "And then MF was fired" was.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×