AnakinOU

New Product Idea - Lazy Susan

So...Dog Might is awesome, does great work, creates AWESOME accessories.  No doubt.  Is there any chance y'all could make a lazy susan, specifically for board gaming?  Another group put up a Kickstarter a few years ago for something like this, but they have failed to produce or deliver (see: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/878938288/the-lazy-gamer).  I'm sure Dog Might could do it right, and put together something truly amazing...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AnakinOU said:

So...Dog Might is awesome, does great work, creates AWESOME accessories.  No doubt.  Is there any chance y'all could make a lazy susan, specifically for board gaming?  Another group put up a Kickstarter a few years ago for something like this, but they have failed to produce or deliver (see: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/878938288/the-lazy-gamer). I'm sure Dog Might could do it right, and put together something truly amazing...

Yeah, I followed along with that KS. I thought they might have some issues. We have thought about it. Worried a little about the size of it. I think it would need to be about 36" round, which scares me a little. Both for warping and for shipping. It is an interesting idea that I won't say "never" to. Now gaming tables....we will NEVER build them.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, AnakinOU said:

So...Dog Might is awesome, does great work, creates AWESOME accessories.  No doubt.  Is there any chance y'all could make a lazy susan, specifically for board gaming?  Another group put up a Kickstarter a few years ago for something like this, but they have failed to produce or deliver (see: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/878938288/the-lazy-gamer). I'm sure Dog Might could do it right, and put together something truly amazing...

Tell me more about what you would need this to be. Size most importantly.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:13 PM, Konas said:

Yeah, I followed along with that KS. I thought they might have some issues. We have thought about it. Worried a little about the size of it. I think it would need to be about 36" round, which scares me a little. Both for warping and for shipping. It is an interesting idea that I won't say "never" to. Now gaming tables....we will NEVER build them.

Round eh... That sounds like a good reason to get a lathe :P

But if it needed to be 36" round couldn't you cut it in half and use pegs to shrink the needed shipping size down to ~18x36 that way you could fit a 12" round base (with the bearings) in the box as well. 

I started playing around in fusion after seeing this lol.

17 minutes ago, marsniper_27 said:

Round eh... That sounds like a good reason to get a lathe :P

But if it needed to be 36" round couldn't you cut it in half and use pegs to shrink the needed shipping size down to ~18x36 that way you could fit a 12" round base (with the bearings) in the box as well. 

I started playing around in fusion after seeing this lol.

We have been talking this over and there are a few challenges that concern us. First is size. Always a concern with wood movement and shipping. After looking through the KS you quoted here, I can see why they never delivered. First is the price. $140 is way too low. I think this is, realistically, a $400 item without many bells and whistles. Easy to see why he ran out of money.

We will consider to think it over, but I am hesitant about the product as a whole in wood. It would certainly have to have a base in MDF, which is very stable but very heavy. Then thin slats of hardwood glued on top. That takes a lot of labor to do well. Sanding and fitting those slats is not easy to do. High volume production of these in our shop would be tough. They would be bigger than anything we make currently, which causes unforeseen problems. Will it fit on our finishing tables, on our sanding stations, etc. Every product we make, we have to seriously consider what it would take to make 1,000 of them.

That doesn't mean it is impossible and we will continue thinking about it.

Here's a question. Would you pay $400 or more for it in premium hardwoods?

7 minutes ago, Konas said:

We have been talking this over and there are a few challenges that concern us. First is size. Always a concern with wood movement and shipping. After looking through the KS you quoted here, I can see why they never delivered. First is the price. $140 is way too low. I think this is, realistically, a $400 item without many bells and whistles. Easy to see why he ran out of money.

We will consider to think it over, but I am hesitant about the product as a whole in wood. It would certainly have to have a base in MDF, which is very stable but very heavy. Then thin slats of hardwood glued on top. That takes a lot of labor to do well. Sanding and fitting those slats is not easy to do. High volume production of these in our shop would be tough. They would be bigger than anything we make currently, which causes unforeseen problems. Will it fit on our finishing tables, on our sanding stations, etc. Every product we make, we have to seriously consider what it would take to make 1,000 of them.

That doesn't mean it is impossible and we will continue thinking about it.

Here's a question. Would you pay $400 or more for it in premium hardwoods?

It would only make sense to use the premium woods on the "rails".

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

It would only make sense to use the premium woods on the "rails".

But then the surface would be plywood or MDF. Not very DMG.

7 minutes ago, Konas said:

But then the surface would be plywood or MDF. Not very DMG.

I would put ash there, not premium woods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

Or what about using resin instead of wood for the base?

Resin is super duper expensive.

1 hour ago, Konas said:

Resin is super duper expensive.

Leave it to me to pick the super duper expensive items.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Leave it to me to pick the super duper expensive items.

How about I make the first prototype in a colored resin frame and BoRo panels just for you. Only $2600!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Konas said:

How about I make the first prototype in a colored resin frame and BoRo panels just for you. Only $2600!

Too rich for even me!  Unless of course I knew I wasn't going to see the next decade.

12 minutes ago, Konas said:

Or you could make one for @Zoe in waterfall bubinga :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Too rich for even me!  Unless of course I knew I wasn't going to see the next decade.

You could always sell your Boros, boulders, wooden dice, etc. that you cheated us out of to us DMGers.  I'm sure you'll raise the $2600 no sweat :P 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

You could always sell your Boros, boulders, wooden dice, etc. that you cheated us out of to us DMGers.  I'm sure you'll raise the $2600 no sweat :P 

That would go against my collector personality trait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, marsniper_27 said:

How would you do the bearing surface?

We could order these from a manufacturer. Wouldn't be too difficult although we are always leery to have any of our fulfillment outsourced.

At any rate, we are way too busy at the moment to even work on a prototype for this. We had our best Q4 ever in 2018 and are busting our butts to fulfill it all. Plus KS's. Lots to do. We are hiring by the way. 4 or 5 more apprentices. So, if you know anyone in the area....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Konas said:

At any rate, we are way too busy at the moment to even work on a prototype for this. We had our best Q4 ever in 2018 and are busting our butts to fulfill it all. Plus KS's. Lots to do. We are hiring by the way. 4 or 5 more apprentices. So, if you know anyone in the area....

I always say "if I have many more days in the office like today.... I'm going to relocate."  

• Like 1