RomyCat

DMG gift--Which wood is it?

Almost all of our lumber, when it comes in, looks like this. Can you guess what this is?

lumber.jpg

4 minutes ago, Konas said:

I thought that may be too easy...I will have to up my game a bit.

Yeah - that was an instant recognize for me too.

1 minute ago, Konas said:

Almost all of our lumber, when it comes in, looks like this. Can you guess what this is?

lumber.jpg

I want to say walnut.

White ash was a guess of mine (but my other was Cherry since I have no idea what either one looks unfinished).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WxCougar said:

White ash was a guess of mine (but my other was Cherry since I have no idea what either one looks unfinished).

I'm looking at the grain swirls.  That looks like those big walnut deck boxes to me.

It is cherry! You can tell by the slight pinkish hue and the soft organic quality in the grain.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

Good guess!

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Though, these look similar too.

image.png.4ea7bbf77f0d1d21fe93cf653390c92d.pngimage.png.c831f9d0d72d701e5590da9355e64b4d.png  

Red Oak is a nice warm wood. It has a bit more of an aggressive grain broken up with feathery hatching. White Ash has a similar grain but tends to be a little less tightly compacted. Color in raw lumber is the big signifier between the two. 

This is really neat (and a great learning experience if I can remember all this cool info).

• Like 2

One of the things I love about doing this is that you really never know what you are going to get until you plane a piece of lumber down. And then you get another nice surprise when it is lacquered. Rough cut lumber can hide a lot of beauty. 

DSC01473.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Konas said:

One of the things I love about doing this is that you really never know what you are going to get until you plane a piece of lumber down. And then you get another nice surprise when it is lacquered. Rough cut lumber can hide a lot of things. 

DSC01473.jpg

This looks like ash to me.  But what do I know.

• Like 1

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

This looks like ash to me.  But what do I know.

You know something cuz you're right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

This is really neat (and a great learning experience if I can remember all this cool info).

Good to hear. Just like anything else, it gets easy with experience. Identification is a combo of grain, color, and hand feel (mostly weight). But, these are all variable from log to log, wehich makes it a bit harder. When we do the "Bin of Doom" in our Friday meetings, we put rare samples of our most common woods to through off our employees. I am proud of the fact that most of these contests go so long we just call it a tie that goes to a "Dart Off'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been impressed and/or fascinated with how different the same type of wood can be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Konas said:

Good to hear. Just like anything else, it gets easy with experience. Identification is a combo of grain, color, and hand feel (mostly weight). But, these are all variable from log to log, wehich makes it a bit harder. When we do the "Bin of Doom" in our Friday meetings, we put rare samples of our most common woods to through off our employees. I am proud of the fact that most of these contests go so long we just call it a tie that goes to a "Dart Off'.

I read that real fast and thought it said you did a bark off.  Now that would get me to come back to AA for.

9 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I read that real fast and thought it said you did a bark off.  Now that would get me to come back to AA for.

Better than a "Fart Off'....

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Konas said:

lumber.jpg

Maybe with ash or Curly Birch (not read other's responses)

Wrong again. I actually did think Cherry as a possibility but didn't write it down. 

Cool, @Konas that your company has wood guessing contest. I found it quite fun trying to figure out what my woods were. I'm impressed with the final answers. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I'm bored.  Let's see some more boards.

OK.

lsfsdiring.jpg