RomyCat

DMG gift--Which wood is it?

Posted (edited)

My sister gave me these for a Christmas present which she brought from DMG. They are plinths to sit miniatures on, each made from a different wood. I love them. Several of the woods I've never owned before, which made me very excited.

My woods_sunny.jpg

Out in the sun.

My woods_shady.jpg

In the shade.

I'm trying to figure out what each type of wood is. Here are my guesses so far:

1. Leopardwood. This one I'm 100% certain about. When my sister ordered the plinths, she asked for one to be leopardwood and the others random. Leopardwood is one of my favorite woods. Not only is it unique and very distinct, but it has such a cool name!
  2. Benge. Or perhaps Bocote or Chechen.  I owned two CoCo that are Chechen and one that is Benge. Honestly, you really can't tell the tiles apart as they look very similar. Both woods are classic, elegant woods.
  3. Spalt. According to Wikipedia, Spalt actually occurs in several type woods and is caused by fungi. The results can sometimes be quite beautiful. Mine looks like marble stone. DMG does not list spalted woods on their list of woods offered on their website, yet they do occasionally create special products with this. While I am certain mine is spalted, I still don't know what type of wood it actually is. 
  4. Padauk. Or perhaps  Rosewood. When I first saw it, I thought it was Rosewood due to the dark color. But when I touched it, it lacked the silky smooth feel of of my gorgeous Rosewood mimic dice box I own. Out in bright light the wood is more orange, so I am leaning towards Padauk, which I have read about.
  5. Wedge. I'm guessing its Wedge because it matchs the dark wood in DMG's picture list of woods. It's also heavier and more dense than any of the others woods. Very lovely to look at. It actually almost feels like stone than wood due to its heaviness and smoothness. 

My woods 1.JPG

Close-up of #4 & #5.

Edited by RomyCat

Look in the pictures forum and you'll see my gibbon ebony D20.  You got an expensive block of wood there if that's what it is.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Here are my guesses:

1) leopardwood

2) BoCo

3) Tamarand

4) Padauk

5) Gibbon Ebony

Tamarand, that was the word I kept trying to find. I looked up lists of spalted woods, but couldn't Tamarand listed, and I didn't know how to spell it. 

Gibbon Ebony is a wood I'm not familiar with. I will now have to go read about it. 

I will let the guessing go on for a bit. Let me know when you want the answers. This should be a regular thing on the forums!

I could post pics of wood before it is fin8shed. It is much harder then.

I love guessing wood games.  Helpful for learning about woods, including new ones I haven't paid attention to before. 

6 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Here are my guesses:

1) leopardwood

2) BoCo

3) Tamarand

4) Padauk

5) Gibbon Ebony

This would be my guess also.

Here's that die stock picture.  I apparently don't know how to spell Gaboon Ebony and/or have been watching way too much Animal Planet...

image.png.811bb8d72183d6acfbb8d1b8b28588b9.png

2 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Here's that die stock picture.  I apparently don't know how to spell Gaboon Ebony and/or have been watching way too much Animal Planet...

image.png.811bb8d72183d6acfbb8d1b8b28588b9.png

Good eye. You make me so proud. And yes, number 2 is Bocote!

I can see why you might think number 4 is BoRo but it is Padauk. One signifier is that their is little feathery grain, almost like little slashes, that make it more porous than BoRo. You can see them here...

807562425_Mywoods1.thumb.JPG.c2b165dc9262d10e76275c82db38677a.jpg

Here's a little test for you...what wood is this? It is in its unfinished state.

woodID.jpg

1 minute ago, Konas said:

Here's a little test for you...what wood is this? It is in its unfinished state.

woodID.jpg

Hmmm.  Benge?

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

Hmmm.  Benge?

Nope.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

It's a lot harder unfinished.  Chechen?

Yes, it is much harder. Nope, not Chechen. 

Or is this Chechen?  It's got the reddish streaks through it.

Neither is Chechen.

Here's a hint: Both pics are of the same wood.

Black walnut?

Nope. Seems like I got you stumped right outta the gate.

1 minute ago, Konas said:

Nope. Seems like I got you stumped right outta the gate.

Seems so.  In our defense, we don't get to see the unfinished state very often.  What about oak?

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Seems so.  In our defense, we don't get to see the unfinished state very often.  What about oak?

Yeah, it would be tough if you have never seen it unfinished. I picked a pretty hard wood to identify as well. It has a really wide range. Here it is finished.

IMG_2364.jpg

Just now, Konas said:

Yeah, it would be tough if you have never seen it unfinished. I picked a pretty hard wood to identify as well. It has a really wide range. Here it is finished.

IMG_2364.jpg

That's @Zoe favorite wood.  Starts with a b.  Right?