yatescory

Your Gaming New Year's Resolutions 2018

On 12/27/2018 at 10:50 AM, Zoxe said:

@yatescory that box is super awesome. 

I am generally terribad at keeping resolutions, but here are mine.

1. No mega kickstarters.  By that, I mean I'm staying out of the sprawling stretch goal fueled campaigns. I am out of space, have a painting backlog measured in years, and still have 3 large games yet to fulfill. I may pick up some dice or a smaller footprint game, and of course DMG gear.

2. Finish painting my Droplfleet army. I haven't touched them since July and have organized play in March.

3. Learn Shadows of Brimstone well enough that I could run games at Gencon or Reapercon.

Came back to this to see exactly what I said. :)

#2 is complete.  Got to play at Adepticon.  Was smitten enough that I painted more ships and will be in a tourney in a couple weeks.  

I could probably call #3 complete.  I could GM a game with random strangers if I had to.  However, our Gencon plans firmed up and we'll have a much larger group this year, which means my actual time for organized play will be more limited (will be offset by random after hours play).  My SoB stuff isn't set up to travel; not sure I want to invest the time into making it travel-able vs. continuing with all the other hobby things I have going.

I'm staying strong on #1, but am admittedly hitting more small ($10-$30) campaigns than I maybe should.  At least they're easy to store once they arrive. :)

Honestly, my 2019 focus has been turning up my painting throughput.  Aside from Adepticon, our gaming time has been very limited, but I'm spending 2-3x of normal time at the bench.  I struggle with "done not perfect" - there is always something more that can be done, a highlight to fix, or a line to straighten, and as I get into a "quick informal project" I'm always tempted to increase the scope and take on more work.  The Brimstone Scorpions are a prime example - were intended to be a quick win and an experiment with the color-shift paint on a low-risk model.  But I got into them, liked what I saw, and decided maybe they could be a Gencon entry.  "Well, if that's true, then I need to ...."  and I shift and adapt, and then "Well, since I did that, now this looks out of place and I need to ...."  It becomes a circular fight to get done as I bring all the different aspects/parts of the model up to some arbitrary standard.  They're really close and I'm really happy, and they may replace another contest model that I'd planned, but they could have been done weeks ago at only marginally lower quality.

27 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Came back to this to see exactly what I said. :)

#2 is complete.  Got to play at Adepticon.  Was smitten enough that I painted more ships and will be in a tourney in a couple weeks.  

I could probably call #3 complete.  I could GM a game with random strangers if I had to.  However, our Gencon plans firmed up and we'll have a much larger group this year, which means my actual time for organized play will be more limited (will be offset by random after hours play).  My SoB stuff isn't set up to travel; not sure I want to invest the time into making it travel-able vs. continuing with all the other hobby things I have going.

I'm staying strong on #1, but am admittedly hitting more small ($10-$30) campaigns than I maybe should.  At least they're easy to store once they arrive. :)

Honestly, my 2019 focus has been turning up my painting throughput.  Aside from Adepticon, our gaming time has been very limited, but I'm spending 2-3x of normal time at the bench.  I struggle with "done not perfect" - there is always something more that can be done, a highlight to fix, or a line to straighten, and as I get into a "quick informal project" I'm always tempted to increase the scope and take on more work.  The Brimstone Scorpions are a prime example - were intended to be a quick win and an experiment with the color-shift paint on a low-risk model.  But I got into them, liked what I saw, and decided maybe they could be a Gencon entry.  "Well, if that's true, then I need to ...."  and I shift and adapt, and then "Well, since I did that, now this looks out of place and I need to ...."  It becomes a circular fight to get done as I bring all the different aspects/parts of the model up to some arbitrary standard.  They're really close and I'm really happy, and they may replace another contest model that I'd planned, but they could have been done weeks ago at only marginally lower quality.

Kinda wish you didn’t remind me of this resolution ;)

so so far I’ve backed suburbia....on mars and considering bloodbourne.

the expansions are where I’ve been weak...

i backed vindication...root...feudum

so I need to do better not backing expansions.  

Ps-Im not counting backing throw throw burrito because I got that for the kids

Reporting in again. I have 3 Kickstarters backed at the moment. Only one is a board game, so technically I'm on target for my New Year's Resolution. Besides the game Roam, I'm backing Animal Adventures which is minis and The Dungeon which is modular boards for rpg.  They are game accessories.....so surely I'm okay. 😓