yatescory

Your Gaming New Year's Resolutions 2018

Hi everyone!  I thought this would be fun.  So tell us what your New Year's Resolution is going to be when it comes to gaming.  Also, include some things that you'd like to see happen with Dog Might Games this year too!  I already have set my resolution set and its going to be very hard for me.  I have so many games.  I love gaming, I love collecting, I love pimping (games that is), and....it's getting to be too much.  I want my resolution this year to be this: I can only purchase 3 games this year and 2 expansions.  Nothing else.  This will help me focus on the games that I already have on the shelf, many of which are unplayed.  I am at the point with gaming that I look at my collection and think "Wow, it's cool to have so many games" and at the exact same time "If I had to get down to 10 games, I could easily."  There are just so many great games that I literally know I could play over and over again and never get tired of.  Keyflower is one of those games for me.  I have played it over 1300 times since its available online to play.  I have played Tzolkin 500 times or more.  There are other games that are so timeless...Concordia, Terraforming Mars (sorry Barb), Trajan, Brass, Agricola...and yet I feel like I have just scratched the surface of these great games.  I want to go deeper with what I have.  To be honest, the only reason I am allowing myself 3 games and 2 expansions is because I know some cool collectors edition will come out for something I love and I won't be able to pass up on it, and I have to be reasonable.  Madeira is coming out with a new edition and expansion and I know I won't be able to pass on it.  TMG always "Deluxifies" great games and I am a sucker for those.  I will have to be picky but I know I can do it.  It will be hard for me though.  Who doesn't love shiny, new toys?  

I am going to enforce a rule on myself of only 1 trade for the entire year and if I sell any games that I have, I can't use the money to buy more games.  I honestly want to say no trades but I need to leave the door open if something really sweet pops up or if I play a few of these games I haven't touched and think they are horrible or something.  This is going to be a really hard journey for me, but I hope it will give me more time with my family, more money to spend on Dog Might gear, help me better myself, and grow as a gamer in many ways.  

The things I'd like to see happen with Dog Might this year:

1. For the company to grow even more (I am so happy to see you guys growing...its really cool to see real people grow a business, experience good times and bad times, and still stay so positive/genuinely cool.

2.  I really would like for you guys to come up with some sort of taller card draw stand that can hold a ton of cards.  We've mentioned this before but I think it would sell!  I would buy it in a heartbeat.

3.  Get the cocos finished....everyone at DMG's goal, I'm sure.  

4.  Keep the prices low and the deals sweet still.  You guys rock when it comes to this!  I hope it will continue this year too.

Thanks for listening.....and one more cool thing I thought I'd share.  When things get less hectic at DMG, they are going to make me a box to hold all of my Keyflower stuff as a custom order.  As you guys know, I am Keyflower super fan.  I asked Richard Breese if he would mind if I let DMG use some of the icons and logo for my individual custom order and he kindly obliged.  Also, in the messages I had sent to Richard, he mentioned that he put a link to my Keyflower review on every box of his new card game Key Flow.  I thought I'd share the picture of this.  My name is on a board game box.  So cool!

Happy New Year Everyone!

20181225_094648.jpg

Edited by yatescory
  • Like 3

For 2019, I'm going to buy less games.  I'm determined to do better this year....and I'm running out of room so I must cut back.

• Like 2

@yatescory that box is super awesome. 

I am generally terribad at keeping resolutions, but here are mine.

1. No mega kickstarters.  By that, I mean I'm staying out of the sprawling stretch goal fueled campaigns. I am out of space, have a painting backlog measured in years, and still have 3 large games yet to fulfill. I may pick up some dice or a smaller footprint game, and of course DMG gear.

2. Finish painting my Droplfleet army. I haven't touched them since July and have organized play in March.

3. Learn Shadows of Brimstone well enough that I could run games at Gencon or Reapercon.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2018 at 10:44 AM, yatescory said:

Thanks for listening.....and one more cool thing I thought I'd share.  When things get less hectic at DMG, they are going to make me a box to hold all of my Keyflower stuff as a custom order.  As you guys know, I am Keyflower super fan.  I asked Richard Breese if he would mind if I let DMG use some of the icons and logo for my individual custom order and he kindly obliged.  Also, in the messages I had sent to Richard, he mentioned that he put a link to my Keyflower review on every box of his new card game Key Flow.  I thought I'd share the picture of this.  My name is on a board game box.  So cool!

Wow, that is super awesome, Yatescory. Your name on a game box makes you famous forever 👏 😃  Congrats.

2 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Wow, that is super awesome, Yatescory. Your name on a game box makes you famous forever 👏 😃  Congrats.

We'll know we've arrived when @Konas engraves our names in their pieces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, yatescory said:

Hi everyone!  I thought this would be fun.  So tell us what your New Year's Resolution is going to be when it comes to gaming.  Also, include some things that you'd like to see happen with Dog Might Games this year too!  I already have set my resolution set and its going to be very hard for me.  I have so many games.  I love gaming, I love collecting, I love pimping (games that is), and....it's getting to be too much.  I want my resolution this year to be this: I can only purchase 3 games this year and 2 expansions.  Nothing else.  This will help me focus on the games that I already have on the shelf, many of which are unplayed.  I am at the point with gaming that I look at my collection and think "Wow, it's cool to have so many games" and at the exact same time "If I had to get down to 10 games, I could easily."  There are just so many great games that I literally know I could play over and over again and never get tired of.  Keyflower is one of those games for me.  I have played it over 1300 times since its available online to play.  I have played Tzolkin 500 times or more.  There are other games that are so timeless...Concordia, Terraforming Mars (sorry Barb), Trajan, Brass, Agricola...and yet I feel like I have just scratched the surface of these great games.  I want to go deeper with what I have.  To be honest, the only reason I am allowing myself 3 games and 2 expansions is because I know some cool collectors edition will come out for something I love and I won't be able to pass up on it, and I have to be reasonable.  Madeira is coming out with a new edition and expansion and I know I won't be able to pass on it.  TMG always "Deluxifies" great games and I am a sucker for those.  I will have to be picky but I know I can do it.  It will be hard for me though.  Who doesn't love shiny, new toys?  

I am going to enforce a rule on myself of only 1 trade for the entire year and if I sell any games that I have, I can't use the money to buy more games.  I honestly want to say no trades but I need to leave the door open if something really sweet pops up or if I play a few of these games I haven't touched and think they are horrible or something.  This is going to be a really hard journey for me, but I hope it will give me more time with my family, more money to spend on Dog Might gear, help me better myself, and grow as a gamer in many ways.  

The things I'd like to see happen with Dog Might this year:

1. For the company to grow even more (I am so happy to see you guys growing...its really cool to see real people grow a business, experience good times and bad times, and still stay so positive/genuinely cool.

2.  I really would like for you guys to come up with some sort of taller card draw stand that can hold a ton of cards.  We've mentioned this before but I think it would sell!  I would buy it in a heartbeat.

3.  Get the cocos finished....everyone at DMG's goal, I'm sure.  

4.  Keep the prices low and the deals sweet still.  You guys rock when it comes to this!  I hope it will continue this year too.

Happy New Year Everyone!

20181225_094648.jpg

Great idea and great thoughts. Thanks for all the kind words as well. Yes, we will be growing. Slowly but, hopefully, substantially. We are studying this now. We grew a little too quickly after CoCos and learned some hard lessons. We will do so more intelligently this time around. Or at least I hope we do. We know a lot more now, hopefully. And, yes, we will finish CoCos this year, by hell or highwater.

My personal resolutions for this year (business ones are separate):

1. Run more.

2. Paint more. Minis and canvas.

3. Run a game of the Legend of the 5 Rings RPG for a larger group.

My business goals are too long to post here....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Konas said:

Great idea and great thoughts. Thanks for all the kind words as well. Yes, we will be growing. Slowly but, hopefully, substantially. We are studying this now. We grew a little too quickly after CoCos and learned some hard lessons. We will do so more intelligently this time around. Or at least I hope we do. We know a lot more now, hopefully. And, yes, we will finish CoCos this year, by hell or highwater.

1. Run more.

I don't see come to Minnesota and spend time with Barb and Drew.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

1) Actually play my copy of Gloomhaven.

2) Be a GM at least once

Yes, do both of these things. #2 especially.

42 minutes ago, Konas said:

Yes, do both of these things. #2 especially.

I bought Blood Rage as a "deal of the day".  I will think of Viking Lumberjacks whenever I play it.

Should I point out the title of this thread is for resolution for THIS year. Son what are your plans for 2019?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 7:11 AM, Konas said:

1. Run more.

When I first read this I thought you said rum more @Konas 😛 

great goals!  And while there were some lessons learned in the coco campaign I do think it will make all of you stronger in the future.  Excited to see what DMG has in store for 2019. :) 

On 12/28/2018 at 12:53 PM, Barb Bliss said:

I bought Blood Rage as a "deal of the day".  I will think of Viking Lumberjacks whenever I play it.

Still haven’t played that game sadly.

Great thread idea (sorry late to the party).  My resolutions are

far less kickstarters 

cut down on games...right there with you @RomyCat I’ve been irresponsible on this for sure.

sell some of my unplayed games...I need to declutter and redeem some poor purchase decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tgpumpkin said:

Great thread idea (sorry late to the party).  My resolutions are

far less kickstarters 

cut down on games...right there with you @RomyCat I’ve been irresponsible on this for sure.

sell some of my unplayed games...I need to declutter and redeem some poor purchase decisions.

If you haven't played them yet, how do you know they are poor purchase decisions?

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

If you haven't played them yet, how do you know they are poor purchase decisions?

I’m sorry I guess that wasn’t made clear.  I should have said rarely played games.  As an example I got the second year collectors edition of ascension a while back.  I played it. Couple of times and it is a good game....but I don’t play it seeing as dominion fills that niche for me.

part of it too though is I am developing an unhealthy backlog currently.  I have gotten caught up in the hype with some past kickstarters or sales.  

I say all of this when just 24-48 hours ago I preordered Wingspan so clearly I have a problem here.  My Shelfies don’t look close to what I’ve seen on other board game sites, but still I need to be more fiscally responsible with the hobby :) 

I sold one game last year....the only game I ever sold.  But truly I should sell more.  I have a ton of games and really don't need more. Perhaps, @tgpumpkin, you might want to join on BGG the Mindful Spending Challenge like I did. My publicly committing to spend less, I'm hoping I really can reach my goals...or at least keep close to them. 

Link: Mindful Spending Challenge 2019

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I sold one game last year....the only game I ever sold.  But truly I should sell more.  I have a ton of games and really don't need more. Perhaps, @tgpumpkin, you might want to join on BGG the Mindful Spending Challenge like I did. My publicly committing to spend less, I'm hoping I really can reach my goals...or at least keep close to them. 

Link: Mindful Spending Challenge 2019

Nice!  I think I can do one game a month.  I’d like to keep it to no more than 5 in a year.  Already burned one in Wingspan.  Don’t know of any must have games that I’m wanting as of yet,  

dont worry @Konas DMG gear doesn’t count. ;) 

• Like 1

Honestly, I know it's early but I really don't thinking holding myself to 3 only games this year will be that hard.  I have so many unplayed games.  Wingspan was very tempting AT FIRST due to the presentation but the gameplay doesn't really wow me that much.  It's Stonemaier though so everyone goes gah gah.  Its is goregeous though. 

9 hours ago, yatescory said:

Honestly, I know it's early but I really don't thinking holding myself to 3 only games this year will be that hard.  I have so many unplayed games.  Wingspan was very tempting AT FIRST due to the presentation but the gameplay doesn't really wow me that much.  It's Stonemaier though so everyone goes gah gah.  Its is goregeous though. 

Yeah I’m pretty gah gah over Stonemaier games tbh.  It’s my Achilles heel.  I haven’t played Viticulture yet though.  My collection has an abundance of worker placement so I can’t justify that purchase.  

What drew me into Wingspan is it’s weight, unique theme, and perceived ability to play it with other non gamers.  I have so many adventure/dungeon/monster games but not all peeps want to play that kind of theme.  I’m thinking the presentation may draw in a different crowd.

honestly for me right now there aren’t any known 2019 games I’m excited about so I’m optimistic I’ll keep my future purchases in check gamewise.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Yeah I’m pretty gah gah over Stonemaier games tbh.  It’s my Achilles heel.  I haven’t played Viticulture yet though.  My collection has an abundance of worker placement so I can’t justify that purchase.  

What drew me into Wingspan is it’s weight, unique theme, and perceived ability to play it with other non gamers.  I have so many adventure/dungeon/monster games but not all peeps want to play that kind of theme.  I’m thinking the presentation may draw in a different crowd.

honestly for me right now there aren’t any known 2019 games I’m excited about so I’m optimistic I’ll keep my future purchases in check gamewise.  

I got "between two castles of king ludwig" from Stonemaier, but that got "just ok" reviews from the first play at Jaemus' house.  I'm going to try it with my group before officially calling it "meh".

4 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I got "between two castles of king ludwig" from Stonemaier, but that got "just ok" reviews from the first play at Jaemus' house.  I'm going to try it with my group before officially calling it "meh".

I think I was more intrigued with the idea of 2 games being fused together than the game itself.  I commend both companies for thinking outside the box and being innovative.  

1 minute ago, tgpumpkin said:

I think I was more intrigued with the idea of 2 games being fused together than the game itself.  I commend both companies for thinking outside the box and being innovative.  

In theory, it seemed like a fun idea, but in practice, it wasn't that much fun.  But maybe it's just that group of people.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

In theory, it seemed like a fun idea, but in practice, it wasn't that much fun.  But maybe it's just that group of people.

The dynamic and attitude of a game group can make or break a game sometimes.  I’m not too keen on bears vs babies (I love exploding kittens though) even as a lighthearted game but playing it with my kids is a blast.