Sign in to follow this  
RomyCat

Upgrading my Gloomhaven

Posted (edited)

Needing something to do while waiting for my copy of Gloomhaven from the second Kickstarter to come in, I have been looking into how to upgrade the gaming components. I started with  buying Broken Token insert. It comes in laser cut sheets of Baltic Birch. I stained mine with American Walnut color then assembled the pieces. Afterwards I added varnish--perhaps too much as the large tray kept reflecting light when I took its picture. There are 17 pieces in total, though I don't know what all of them hold yet. Also, it comes with 27 tuck boxes for the monsters (which I didn't take a picture of).

I enjoyed the staining and assembly. Made me want to work on more projects. Now my eyes are turning towards painting miniatures. 

a DSC_0760.JPG

Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 2

Next, I brought doors, chests, and barrels. The doors are from Zomicide: Black Plague 3D Doors. I don't own Zomicide but I thought the doors would be useful. They open and close easily. Plus you get 27 of them! 

The barrels and treasure chests I picked up at the website Top Shelf Gamer. They sell  awesome  upgrades for many games. I had already picked up some of their tokens for Charterstone and Scythe, some of which I included in the second picture. 

Doors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJSKXYO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chests  https://www.topshelfgamer.com/products/treasure-chest-tokens-set-of-10

Door/chest combo: https://www.topshelfgamer.com/products/deluxe-token-bundle-compatible-with-gloomhaven

Doors & items 1.JPG

Doors and items.JPG

• Like 3

I also began searching for dungeon furniture. The best, cheapest I have found is from the company Mantic Games. Originally, their Dungeon Saga: Furniture Pack was an add-on for a Kickstarter game they produced several years ago. Their furniture pack became so popular, that they began selling it separately. Also, they recently did another Kickstarter (which I missed) for a lot more cool 3D miniature items.

The pieces come unpainted in brown.  They feel study and are highly detailed. As many of the items are suppose to be made from wood, the brown works well. Still, I may try my hand at painting them. 

Website: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018SJ6C24/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Dungeon Saga Furniture Pack.JPG

• Like 2

Everything looks so awesome! You could do a black wash on those doors and they would look killer. We're waiting for our Gloomhaven copy to come in as well and this is such a great idea for it.

Wow. That's some serious upgrade job you have going on!

Slightly disappointed that you didn't opt for classic Hero Quest furniture as an upgrade option, but your choices look sound :)

As for painting miniatures, it's something I always wished I could do as a kid but never learned how. Now that I'm much older and no more artistic than I was, I wonder if there's somewhere o can send them away to and have them painted?!

• Like 3

Stace, If I had found the Hero Quest furniture for sale, I may had bought them.  For my cave terrain, I bought various type stalagmites, pillars, barrels, and crates at Dungeonstone. They are cheap and come unpainted. The ones in the pictures I painted using cheap acrylic paint I picked up at Walmart.

Link: https://www.dungeonstone.com/

a DSC_0794.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/1/2017 at 6:08 PM, RomyCat said:

Next, I brought doors, chests, and barrels. The doors are from Zomicide: Black Plague 3D Doors. I don't own Zomicide but I thought the doors would be useful. They open and close easily. Plus you get 27 of them! 

The barrels and treasure chests I picked up at the website Top Shelf Gamer. They sell  awesome  upgrades for many games. I had already picked up some of their tokens for Charterstone and Scythe, some of which I included in the second picture. 

Doors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJSKXYO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chests  https://www.topshelfgamer.com/products/treasure-chest-tokens-set-of-10

Door/chest combo: https://www.topshelfgamer.com/products/deluxe-token-bundle-compatible-with-gloomhaven

Doors & items 1.JPG

Doors and items.JPG

Nice pumpkins Romy :P

On 10/16/2017 at 2:51 PM, Stace said:

Wow. That's some serious upgrade job you have going on!

Slightly disappointed that you didn't opt for classic Hero Quest furniture as an upgrade option, but your choices look sound :)

As for painting miniatures, it's something I always wished I could do as a kid but never learned how. Now that I'm much older and no more artistic than I was, I wonder if there's somewhere o can send them away to and have them painted?!

As long as your hands don't shake, it's something you can try out easily.  I have a zero distortion lighted magnifying glass (from my needle point days) that really helps out.  So never say never!  And fwiw I'm an engineer without an artistic bone in my body, but I'm doing a decent job and having fun while I'm at it.

5 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Nice pumpkins Romy :P

p.s. Those cobblestones look naked.  Try drawing the cracks with a darker grey paint, then water down a tad a black wash and paint over the threshold.  Occasional lightly blot here and there with a paper towel.  You'll get a "kick-ass" shadow effect on them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

p.s. Those cobblestones look naked.  Try drawing the cracks with a darker grey paint, then water down a tad a black wash and paint over the threshold.  Occasional lightly blot here and there with a paper towel.  You'll get a "kick-ass" shadow effect on them.

I actually did give them a black wash, but alas, the spray-on sealer I used ate through the paint, making the cracks look grayish and leaving lines alone the bottom of the coffins. I was disappointed in the results, so I am buying a brush-on sealer to try next. I may in the future buy new coffins to experiment on.

12 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I actually did give them a black wash, but alas, the spray-on sealer I used ate through the paint, making the cracks look grayish and leaving lines alone the bottom of the coffins. I was disappointed in the results, so I am buying a brush-on sealer to try next. I may in the future buy new coffins to experiment on.

I got a bottle of glossy varnish and a bottle of matte varnish.  I brush on the glossy first (looks awful after drying).   Then I brush on the matte.  It's more work, but I like the results.

44 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Just wondering, why the glossy then matte? How does it effect the minis?

Mainly it's really good for anything you're using for games because it's double protected, and also because once you start seeing glossy spots it's time to reapply the matte so you don't risk rubbing off paint.

19 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Just wondering, why the glossy then matte? How does it effect the minis?

And because Mike told me too.  He said it was stronger.

20 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

And because Mike told me too.  He said it was stronger.

Miniatures that are handled by players often have a tendency to chip their paint or wear down. By using a gloss finish you can better protect against that, but it often leaves your minis looking fake and plastic. Going over the miniature again with a matte finish tones down the shine and give the mini a beautifully completed look. By doing both you are getting the protection the miniature needs and the nice look of a pro!

Just now, Lindsey said:

Miniatures that are handled by players often have a tendency to chip their paint or wear down. By using a gloss finish you can better protect against that, but it often leaves your minis looking fake and plastic. Going over the miniature again with a matte finish tones down the shine and give the mini a beautifully completed look. By doing both you are getting the protection the miniature needs and the nice look of a pro!

Nice look of a pro?  Let's not go overboard. :/

1 minute ago, Lindsey said:

My stone arches turned out better than I thought I could do.  Now I just have to get the thresholds painted.  So far, I've got them primed.  The weather turns to crap starting tomorrow, so I should have time to work on them.

Thanks for the tip about the varnish. I may try the double layer. I did happen to buy both kinds

Romycat is still working hard on getting everything painted before Gloomhaven comes in. I'm a good sister to let her do all the work and I just join in for the fun when it gets here:)

• Like 1

Sorry I’m playing catch up to all these posts but @RomyCat this looks fantastic.  Nicely done.  I too have tbt gloomhaven organizer sitting nicely in a box.  I should begin assembling it.  

I wish I had the artistic prowess to paint miniatures.  Kudos on going all out :)

On 10/23/2017 at 8:54 AM, Barb Bliss said:

My unbiased opinion but he pumpkins really tie the entire package together if I do say so myself ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1