Konas

New Player Character help needed!

Hey Everyone. I am about to start playing in a DnD 5E campaign and I would love a little help fleshing out my character. I have some of the basics figured out. Here is the blurb from D & D Beyond.

Otter Thrud was born on a cold, prison floor to a mother guilty of murder. Raised on his father's small farm with 9 older brothers, Otter discovered a talent for working metal. He worked his way up through the local blacksmith's guild until the day he witnessed a cleric of Amaunator cast spiritual weapon. That day, Otter left his anvil and never looked back.

He is a Goliath Cleric of Amaunator. He has 9 older brothers. His father chose to give them all, well almost all, names based on animals. He was a Goliath living in a primarily Human city and wanted them to fit in best that they could but he didn't know Human names well.

Otter is wise but not street smart. Very devoted to a god he doesn't fully understand. He also has a knack for using witty aphorisms, although he often misstates them and they are almost always centered around metal working. For instance, after fighting some small creature, "Even the smallest slab of iron needs a heavy hammer occasionally."

I very much want to have a solid backstory but not overdeveloped. I am more interested in hearing more personality and roleplaying ideas. I will be playing this character in a very good group and want to roleplay him very well.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

• Like 1

Here is Otter's family list:

Father. Thalig Goatfist Thrud

Mother. Vula Thrud (her honorific was stripped when she went to prison)

Brother #1. Bear

Brother #2. Possum.

Brother #3. Snake.

Brother #4. Leopard

Brother #5. Puma

Brother #6. Rhino

Brother #7. Wallaby

Brother #8. James

Brother #9. Mongoose

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If his name is Otter, he must be playful, and full of energy.  If the Otters at the MN Zoo are any indicator, he won't smell the greatest.  

• Like 1

I really love having an amazing, professional artist on staff that I can have illustrate my characters. It is wonderful.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

If his name is Otter, he must be playful, and full of energy.  If the Otters at the MN Zoo are any indicator, he won't smell the greatest.  

Good idea. I like playful and overly energetic. Smelling bad is hard to roleplay. I will have to rely on the other PCs to bring that to life.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

When food is served, he attacks it.  You snooze, you go hungry.

Grace can wait until his plate is full of food.

• Like 1

I had a strix that was an inquisitor of Milani (pathfinder) who also didn't fully understand her religion.  It's fun to also throw in bits and pieces of the deity's texts here and there because they think they need to say them to stay in favor. Also the more complicated passages could be skewed slightly because the character doesn't fully understand the implication but really doesn't mean any harm - just doesn't understand. Could be just sayings or (since I don't know the deity in 5th edition well), could be some actions he thinks are ok because he thought that is what was meant by the religious text.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

I really love having an amazing, professional artist on staff that I can have illustrate my characters. It is wonderful.

Aw shucks, ty for the kind words :D. Otter has been so much fun to paint! I'm not sure I'm 100% happy with his armor yet.... armor is hard ;___;

• Like 2

With 9 older brothers, there are lots of crazy shenanigans that could have happened in the backstory growing up. Particularly if the brothers are named after animals they are similar too.  (Which probably means Mongoose and Snake don't get along very well...)

Maybe there were cases of Mongoose and Snake fighting or laying some sort of prank on each other that Otter got stuck in the middle of.

• Like 2

He could have stories about each brother that point out characteristics of them.  For example:

Brother #1. Bear - grouchy in the morning, strong, like to run around naked after he took a bath until he dried off

Brother #2. Possum - disliked confrontation - would try to hide during brotherly fights

Brother #3. Snake. - flexible; liked to steal girlfriends from his brothers or friends; spat a lot

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Was the mail man named James?

Milk man

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

He could have stories about each brother that point out characteristics of them.  For example:

Brother #1. Bear - grouchy in the morning, strong, like to run around naked after he took a bath until he dried off

Brother #2. Possum - disliked confrontation - would try to hide during brotherly fights

Brother #3. Snake. - flexible; liked to steal girlfriends from his brothers or friends; spat a lot

Oh, that's good. He could always tell a story that fits the circumstances that happened to one of his brothers. Very good!

Just now, Konas said:

Oh, that's good. He could always tell a story that fits the circumstances that happened to one of his brothers. Very good!

Rhino: thick skinned,  mess with rhino, and you get the horn.

On 10/26/2018 at 11:56 AM, Konas said:

He's a pic of him that @Rosie drew for me.

otter2.jpg

Wow, cool to have a friend that is a professional artist.  Will she be doing the artwork for your future games?

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:00 PM, RomyCat said:

Wow, cool to have a friend that is a professional artist.  Will she be doing the artwork for your future games?

Yes, more than likely. Unless the style doesn't fit it at all but that seems unlikely.

• Thanks 1