Sign in to follow this  
Zoxe

Cool Kickstarter Minis

There are a few Kickstarters for mini-hoarders out there (you know who you are! hah!).

Frozen Ninja will be opening soon.  We met them at ReaperCon - super nice and their stuff looks great in person.  I hope this link to the preview page works correctly....

Not familiar with this company, but the sculpt looks great and he uses Oreos for scale! How cool is that?  (sooooo hungry now).

Scale75 makes some awesome stuff.  We raided their booth at ReaperCon. I actually used their metallic paints for the first time yesterday and am in love.

Edited by Zoxe

I am not familiar with working with anything except Reaper so I figured I would come here for advice. My Dark Souls mega boss Guardian Dragon (and probably Gaping dragon judging by others comments) has a fit issue with his wings.

I heard hot water works here too. Is it like boiling reaper minis? Or is there a difference with this thicker plastic. It also appears I may have some flashing to trim too.

(Pictures to show type of plastic and one wing joint.)

20181019_100012.jpg

20181019_100037.jpg

5 hours ago, WxCougar said:

I am not familiar with working with anything except Reaper so I figured I would come here for advice. My Dark Souls mega boss Guardian Dragon (and probably Gaping dragon judging by others comments) has a fit issue with his wings.

I heard hot water works here too. Is it like boiling reaper minis? Or is there a difference with this thicker plastic. It also appears I may have some flashing to trim too.

(Pictures to show type of plastic and one wing joint.)

20181019_100012.jpg

20181019_100037.jpg

I'm having trouble seeing what the fit issue is - is there a big gap? Is the peg too big to put into the hole?

That looks like some sort of plastic.  If it's just bent/warped, you can try a hair dryer on high.  Actually, I borrow Mrs. Zoxe's heater for her jamberries (those nail decal sticker things, sorry for the crappy descriptor... I'm a guy!).  The Jamberry heater gives pinpoint control without being too hot to damage the plastic (like a bic lighter would be).  

My guess is maybe some misshapen and some flashing. The joint won't fit at all (too tight or something in the way).

I did get some feedback on the Dark Souls forum about using very hot water.

I assume the hair dryer method is similar to the hot water?

Can't say I have a nail decal thing. But my sister might.

Edited by WxCougar

I made the mistake of going on kickstarter today found a couple interesting minis

This one isn't funded yet but just look at them. If you like pirates of the Caribbean you might want these.

another

Edited by marsniper_27
found another

There are a TON of minis coming with the Assassin's Creed board game. They opened up a large tower you get for "free" if you make a normal pledge while the campaign is running. My sister is a fan of the video game, so I backed this Kickstarter for her.  I'm actually quite eager to paint the tower and lion statue. 

cbce08e88eec7f16aa15ad4f453c3a68_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1542744686&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=457f5543c8d4c6e3bb0f520e868d1250

18 hours ago, RomyCat said:

There are a TON of minis coming with the Assassin's Creed board game. They opened up a large tower you get for "free" if you make a normal pledge while the campaign is running. My sister is a fan of the video game, so I backed this Kickstarter for her.  I'm actually quite eager to paint the tower and lion statue. 

cbce08e88eec7f16aa15ad4f453c3a68_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1542744686&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=457f5543c8d4c6e3bb0f520e868d1250

I didn't even know there was a board game!

😃 They should give me a free mini for promoting their game. Original when I saw the campaign, I had not planned to back it. I've never played the video game, though I did see the movie. But I made the mistake of showing the campaign page to my sister who is a fan of the video game series. As we watched the video, she kept whispering in my ear, "You will have so much fun painting those minis." So I backed it. 

My sister kept hoping a 3D tower would be added, maybe made of cardboard. And when they did suddenly add the plastic tower, she was VERY excited.  And I'm eager to paint it. So we are both happy. 

Uh, umm, what disposable income?  I really, really need to cut down down on what I back. I keep claiming I will, but @Zenithsplendor keeps exerting sister peer pressure. 

Maybe next year I will take a New Year's resolution of no more than one Kickstarter per month. That would limit me to twelve. 

Edited by RomyCat

5 hours ago, marsniper_27 said:

you guys make me jealous of your disposable income lol.

Disposable income comes in many flavors.  I average about $300 per year for vacations.  Makes it easier to handle being stuck in the Konasphere.

On 11/23/2018 at 9:49 AM, RomyCat said:

Uh, umm, what disposable income?  I really, really need to cut down down on what I back. I keep claiming I will, but @Zenithsplendor keeps exerting sister peer pressure. 

Maybe next year I will take a New Year's resolution of no more than one Kickstarter per month. That would limit me to twelve. 

@RomyCat, the truth is you keep showing me Kickstarter games because if I like them it gives you another excuse to buy them 🎄 (just added the tree because I am in a holiday mood)

On 11/23/2018 at 4:32 PM, Barb Bliss said:

Disposable income comes in many flavors.  I average about $300 per year for vacations.  Makes it easier to handle being stuck in the Konasphere.

My wife went back to school this year so we are living of my income and what funding she gets so our budget is build pretty thin right now. Hopefully once she's done in the spring and finds a job things will be a bit better.

@RomyCat, I grabbed this from an update to that cat mini project (Animal Adventures: Tales of Cats and Catacombs).

image.png.0b6c9794c19be39271fc42a7ba2daa82.png

And her backstory.

The room was full of books, spilling out of the bookshelves onto the simple wooden tables and chairs, even in one or two cases onto the tiled floor. It lent the room an air of chaos, but looking more closely, it was clear that each of these books related to the others in the stacks or shelves, and each and every one of them was spotlessly clean, free of dust, and, aside from a little wear and tear on the older tomes, pristine. 

Hesta could have put her claw onto any book she wished to in an instant. She knew the location of each and every one of her treasured volumes, every spell component, the levels of ink in each well, and exactly how many quills she had, and in what state of sharpness each of them was. 

It was irritating therefore, that Maven kept stealing things. 

The raven stood before her now, in a huff, the offending item lying accusingly between them. The bird shifted slightly in what passed for the Corvid version of guilt. 

“Look at me, Maven.” Hesta tried again. 

The bird met her gaze for just an instant, then looked away again. It’s clawed foot moved ever so slightly towards the coin, then curled and moved away again. 

“I know you like it, Dearest, but it’s an important part of the spell, and I need it.” Hesta reached out with an ethereal hand, picked up the coin, and inspected it once again, ensuring that it was not scratched or dented after its adventure in the raven’s secret stash. The ritual spell, which was to be enacted that evening, would use the coin to ascertain the whereabouts of the evil Goblin King’s Castle. The adventuring party of which she was an occasional member had tracked his minions to a cave and had liberated this coin, one of the Goblin King’s prize possessions, from their corpses. 

“Once we’ve done the spell and the Goblin King is dead and burned, you can have it forever.” Hesta offered, her soft heart breaking for the raven’s obvious distress. She reached out her paw, and with one claw extended, scritched the raven exactly where he liked it the most, just at the back of his head. His claws uncurled, and his shoulders unhunched. He began purring in pleasure, the coin temporarily forgotten. 

That evening, after hours of battle, an elven cleric, a dwarven fighter, a genasi rogue with fires dampened, two human rangers, and Hesta, stood over the vanquished form of the Goblin king, his minions either dead or fleeing. Hesta leaned on her staff, breathing heavily. She was out of spells, the last of her slots being spent on the decisive blast of a lightning bolt. But the Goblin King was dead, and although his goblin hordes would take some clearing out of their hideaways in the hills and caves of the surrounding valley, the core of the threat was gone. 

“Hesta!” the Genasi rogue called, “Look what I’ve found for Maven!” He poked his head out of the side room they’d missed in the heat of the battle with a grin. 

Hesta limped over - she hadn’t quite managed to skip out of the way of a barbed goblin arrow - and looked. The Pile of treasure was enough to astound even her. She marvelled at the amount of gold coins - no-one would miss one or two, and they would look splendid in Maven’s secret stash.

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

@RomyCat, I grabbed this from an update to that cat mini project (Animal Adventures: Tales of Cats and Catacombs).

image.png.0b6c9794c19be39271fc42a7ba2daa82.png

And her backstory.

The room was full of books, spilling out of the bookshelves onto the simple wooden tables and chairs, even in one or two cases onto the tiled floor. It lent the room an air of chaos, but looking more closely, it was clear that each of these books related to the others in the stacks or shelves, and each and every one of them was spotlessly clean, free of dust, and, aside from a little wear and tear on the older tomes, pristine. 

Hesta could have put her claw onto any book she wished to in an instant. She knew the location of each and every one of her treasured volumes, every spell component, the levels of ink in each well, and exactly how many quills she had, and in what state of sharpness each of them was. 

It was irritating therefore, that Maven kept stealing things. 

The raven stood before her now, in a huff, the offending item lying accusingly between them. The bird shifted slightly in what passed for the Corvid version of guilt. 

“Look at me, Maven.” Hesta tried again. 

The bird met her gaze for just an instant, then looked away again. It’s clawed foot moved ever so slightly towards the coin, then curled and moved away again. 

“I know you like it, Dearest, but it’s an important part of the spell, and I need it.” Hesta reached out with an ethereal hand, picked up the coin, and inspected it once again, ensuring that it was not scratched or dented after its adventure in the raven’s secret stash. The ritual spell, which was to be enacted that evening, would use the coin to ascertain the whereabouts of the evil Goblin King’s Castle. The adventuring party of which she was an occasional member had tracked his minions to a cave and had liberated this coin, one of the Goblin King’s prize possessions, from their corpses. 

“Once we’ve done the spell and the Goblin King is dead and burned, you can have it forever.” Hesta offered, her soft heart breaking for the raven’s obvious distress. She reached out her paw, and with one claw extended, scritched the raven exactly where he liked it the most, just at the back of his head. His claws uncurled, and his shoulders unhunched. He began purring in pleasure, the coin temporarily forgotten. 

That evening, after hours of battle, an elven cleric, a dwarven fighter, a genasi rogue with fires dampened, two human rangers, and Hesta, stood over the vanquished form of the Goblin king, his minions either dead or fleeing. Hesta leaned on her staff, breathing heavily. She was out of spells, the last of her slots being spent on the decisive blast of a lightning bolt. But the Goblin King was dead, and although his goblin hordes would take some clearing out of their hideaways in the hills and caves of the surrounding valley, the core of the threat was gone. 

“Hesta!” the Genasi rogue called, “Look what I’ve found for Maven!” He poked his head out of the side room they’d missed in the heat of the battle with a grin. 

Hesta limped over - she hadn’t quite managed to skip out of the way of a barbed goblin arrow - and looked. The Pile of treasure was enough to astound even her. She marvelled at the amount of gold coins - no-one would miss one or two, and they would look splendid in Maven’s secret stash.

Mrs. Zoxe is all over this one.  She just got fulfillment on the Dogs version (assuming it's the same project I'm thinking of).  The figures are cool.

1 minute ago, Zoxe said:

Mrs. Zoxe is all over this one.  She just got fulfillment on the Dogs version (assuming it's the same project I'm thinking of).  The figures are cool.

They are, but I wonder if they will end up being too small for me to paint.  The dog that nudged me to pledge that one is smaller than the tip section of my pinkie finger.  I guess we'll see.

37 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

They are, but I wonder if they will end up being too small for me to paint.  The dog that nudged me to pledge that one is smaller than the tip section of my pinkie finger.  I guess we'll see.

I have a contest entry this year that is going to be in the same category.   Last year Dark Sword Minis gave away the Tiger Lilly Pug Mage in the swag bag and issued a challenge for everyone to bring it back painted the next year.  Sounds great, except the mini is about 1/2 scale of what I'm used to painting.

https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/visions-in-fantasy-critters/tiger-lily-the-pug-mage.html