Zoe

Non-gaming & non-wood hobbies!

Its actually not as scary as it looks. It will be a garage project not a house project ;).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GhostChopper said:

Lamp work beading?!? That sounds like fun. I want to learn glass blowing as well, I hear you can make glass beads that way 😻

Actually glass beading is usually just solid hot glass work, rather than actual blowing (I've done this too a little bit).

Basically you just are melting solid rods of borosilicate to form the beads.  It's much easier to set up than glass blowing because you don't actually need a furnace to have the molten glass.  A single burner with gas and oxygen intakes is sufficient.

11 hours ago, Treelamp said:

Well, if I'm confident I can do it, I'm pretty sure anyone can do it.

As for that glass bead shit, uh, I'll pass.  I don't have any predilection for fire.  Plus cutting glass is a lot more fun, and you just have to solder them together.  Most stained glass stuff comes as like, cut out paper patterns?  At least in my familiarity.  Then you pick the glasses and use the pattern pieces to cut them out, it's a lot like color by numbers lol.

Pretty much yes.  Depending on how intricate the pattern is. You definitely need to grind all the pieces to fit together pretty well.. really thin or curvy pieces will require a saw rather than grinding so that can be tricky.

Then you cover the edges with foil so that the solder will hold (solder won't attach to glass on its own).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GhostChopper said:

Finally organized some of my crafts and brought them up from the dungeon. Latest creations. 

9FED0EED-932D-4A91-BAA3-824632A3D9EF.jpeg

9D43D1C4-1DE0-4966-A888-B92609E4E9D4.jpeg

8DC90E90-81FE-4ABC-BE37-0B1959085F8E.jpeg

058745FD-A7BC-458E-BFEC-CFD0A52F3DAD.jpeg

CDFC905F-C29F-4E6A-9CEE-F5D4B0AE84E1.jpeg

E7D3C679-663B-4FE3-A26F-A11AE134219A.jpeg

Very cool. I have not worked with scale but love doing chainmail.

17 hours ago, WxCougar said:

Very cool. I have not worked with scale but love doing chainmail.

What do you like to make with chainmail?!?

15 hours ago, yatescory said:

Nice work!

Thanks!

😍!!! I don't know which earrings are my favorite - the first pair, or the last two pairs..

And did you two ( @GhostChopper & @WxCougar ) not know that the both of you do chainmail and jewelry stuff?! How did we let this happen?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoe said:

😍!!! I don't know which earrings are my favorite - the first pair, or the last two pairs..

And did you two ( @GhostChopper & @WxCougar ) not know that the both of you do chainmail and jewelry stuff?! How did we let this happen?!

Both my aunts had longer ear lobes to begin with, and I seem to have that predisposition.  My one aunt didn't wear much jewelry.  The other aunt ALWAYS wore a ton of costume jewelry, including big honking earrings.  (Note: kudos to that aunt for letting us play with her jewelry when family gatherings were at her house.  In hindsight, any losses from play were considered insignificant compared to keeping us entertained back in her dressing room and out of the adult's hair.)  Guess which aunt had ear lobes about twice as long as the other aunt.  It turned me off from wearing big earrings once I hit about 28 years old.  So I wouldn't be tempted by these, but they are unique and stunning.

48 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Both my aunts had longer ear lobes to begin with, and I seem to have that predisposition.  My one aunt didn't wear much jewelry.  The other aunt ALWAYS wore a ton of costume jewelry, including big honking earrings.  (Note: kudos to that aunt for letting us play with her jewelry when family gatherings were at her house.  In hindsight, any losses from play were considered insignificant compared to keeping us entertained back in her dressing room and out of the adult's hair.)  Guess which aunt had ear lobes about twice as long as the other aunt.  It turned me off from wearing big earrings once I hit about 28 years old.  So I wouldn't be tempted by these, but they are unique and stunning.

The earnings on top would not be my every day earrings, as they are slightly heavier than I prefer and would likely stretch the earlobes of worn 24/7. I made them to match a necklace I’m making my sis. The rest of the earrings are super lightweight, so no stretched earlobes to worry about!  I used Titanium, niobium, and aluminum to make them light and allergen free on the contact points. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GhostChopper said:

The earnings on top would not be my every day earrings, as they are slightly heavier than I prefer and would likely stretch the earlobes of worn 24/7. I made them to match a necklace I’m making my sis. The rest of the earrings are super lightweight, so no stretched earlobes to worry about!  I used Titanium, niobium, and aluminum to make them light and allergen free on the contact points. 

My piercings have closed up.  I've been threatening to get them opened up again, but that's been going on for 4 years, so must not be that important to me.  I have some real pretty earrings collecting dust.

I work with just aluminum and do jewelry and some sculpture. This owl is popular on the board but not selling unfortunately.

20180607_121440.thumb.jpg.07e956de6fd900e08df4171b216d2f31.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

My piercings have closed up.  I've been threatening to get them opened up again, but that's been going on for 4 years, so must not be that important to me.  I have some real pretty earrings collecting dust.

It’s a pain getting them reopened. Mine closed caus I don’t wear earring often (not conducive with sports or lab chemicals), so my mom opened them back up with a needle. I’ve had more problems with metal sensitivity since then. 

1 minute ago, GhostChopper said:

It’s a pain getting them reopened. Mine closed caus I don’t wear earring often (not conducive with sports or lab chemicals), so my mom opened them back up with a needle. I’ve had more problems with metal sensitivity since then. 

Back in the day, a doctor put the original holes in.  Now doctors won't do it, and suggest that I have someone earning minimum wage put holes in an area that is full of major nerves.  smh

9 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

I work with just aluminum and do jewelry and some sculpture. This owl is popular on the board but not selling unfortunately.

Do you generally sell the stuff you make? 

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Back in the day, a doctor put the original holes in.  Now doctors won't do it, and suggest that I have someone earning minimum wage put holes in an area that is full of major nerves.  smh

I had mine pierced on the streets of Berkeley 😜

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

This looks like my Christmas lights before I put them up.

Edited by Barb Bliss

On 4/13/2019 at 6:56 PM, GhostChopper said:

Finally organized some of my crafts and brought them up from the dungeon. Latest creations. 

Did you run electricity through that board?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GhostChopper said:

Do you generally sell the stuff you make? 

I do farmers markets and small bazaars. I do the chainmail and miscellaneous other things and my mom makes crochet stuffed animals.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 7:56 PM, GhostChopper said:

Very cool. Looks like you've played around with electrifying wood as well.

19 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

That's very cool. How big is it?

6 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Did you run electricity through that board?

Beat me to the punch. It appears even I can fall prey to the quick trigger of Barb

• Haha 1

Just now, Konas said:

Beat me to the punch. It appears even I can fall prey to the quick trigger of Barb

Well to be fair, you still care about your job...

• Haha 1

@Barb Bliss @Konas Yeah, that was our test board, which has become my favorite backdrop. 

My husband and I are working on a table topper, something to allow the old dinning table to fit KDM. Figured what better way to add character to ply than to burn patterns in. 😊 FYI, It takes FOREVER to burn!!! But we’ll have a topper eventually 👌🏻

• Like 2

On an food/craft note, we finally successfully made sourdough! And by we I mean mostly my husband with me as a backseat Baker 😜  

Took like 3 weeks from flour to starter to levin to bread 

6F55045A-AB7B-4956-9D3C-ACAE4FFA27CE.jpeg

28A5970E-D2D7-4564-B93C-180C5A6C505B.jpeg

• Like 4