Zoe

Non-gaming & non-wood hobbies!

5 hours ago, Konas said:

I love mountain biking. Where I live we have some of the best trails in the state. Now, Lindsey and I run on them a lot. We will start biking them once she gets a bike.

It's a double edged strategy to staying fit.  The past 2 days I cleared maybe 30 yards of trail and got access to 4 old locust trees that had died or were mostly dead.  Quite the workout getting the trail opened, and yet another when it's done and ready for bikes.

6 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Got a 3 part sc-fi trilogy out. I had a BLAST writing them.  Also have a fantasy novel.  It was actually the first book I ever wrote. Took three years to finish the rough draft, but I very much enjoyed the process. I'm working on editing its sequel now, though most of my writing takes place over extended breaks like summer and Christmas.  I also wrote a history fiction novel. That one was the hardest to write due to a vast about of research required to make it historically accurate.  Boy, do I know a lot about Roman history now. Which was actually pretty useful when writing my sci-fi series as it dealt with a government that, at times, echoed issues dealing with the the late Roman time period.  

If you would like to check out my books, here is the link:  my books

Closest I've come to being an author was the St Paul news paper.  They have a deal called "the bulletin board".  I was "The Blissful Babe of Nordeast".  It amounted to relating stories in my life or pointing out stupid stuff.  For example being in the local Target store, and seeing the sign "Stationary" over the writing paper.  I pointed out to a manager that the sign was misspelled.  He gave me the brush off.  I decided the sign was correct after all as it hasn't changed and hasn't moved at all.

Edited by Barb Bliss

On 10/13/2018 at 4:25 PM, RomyCat said:

@Barb Bliss, how funny. I would give you a reaction, but I'm out.  ?

Another one I was telling about being 3 miles from rolling my odometer to 100k.  Watching it tick down  in rush hour traffic, 999997, 999998, 999999, 100002.  Arggggg!!!  I'll have to keep my car for another 100k miles now.  She gave it a valid try, but I traded her in around 178,500.  The AC crapped out, and I couldn't get my windows to go up and down anymore.  Best car I ever had.  Camery Wagon.

Edited by Barb Bliss

Posted (edited)

I haven’t had time to craft in a while, with house work taking up most of my free time, but I used to do the following:

torch enameling on copper

jewelry making (mostly bead work)

chainmail & scalemail

glass etching  

ducktape wallets

silk screening 

and I’ve dabbled in costume making

Edited by GhostChopper

On 3/30/2019 at 9:28 PM, GhostChopper said:

@Zoe How did he shape the metal?!? That’s so cool! 

@Konas I didn’t realize you painted, your art looks awesome! 

You'll want to take a trek to the shop and see his painting in the lobby.

39 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

You'll want to take a trek to the shop and see his painting in the lobby.

I’ve planned on taking a trek, good to know they’re on display! 😊

5 minutes ago, GhostChopper said:

I’ve planned on taking a trek, good to know they’re on display! 😊

You can't miss it.  Check it out.  Really interesting about religion and super heroes.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:28 PM, GhostChopper said:

Thanks. It was in my past life. Don't paint much at all anymore but will get back to it one day. Painting minis fills that void a little bit.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:28 PM, GhostChopper said:

I swear this isn't meant to be sassy, but he hammered it. A lot. He uses the anvil at particular angles while he hammers it to get the desired shape. The first test that is usually put to apprentice blacksmiths is a decorative metal leaf - he's made three or so of these but the stem always breaks, so the bracelet was definitely easier. He's getting there!

And while we're here, I've edited a bunch of photos lately, but here's two most recent ones from when I visited my friend for an agility seminar last month. We went on a bunch of hikes, so I took a bunch of photos along the trail.

The black & white dog is actually a tailed Aussie - he is genetically a black tri but his tan points are extremely slight. The other dog is a Keeshond. :)

lox.jpg

loxandfinn.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2019 at 10:34 PM, GhostChopper said:

glass etching  

I dunno much about that, but Stained Glass art is cool to make.  Honestly I'm not sure if I ever made something myself, or just messed around, but I am fairly confident I could produce a stained glass item.  At the very least I've learned or watched my mother do it, she has a few pieces in the house that we have.

@Zoe sick doggos.  The aussie certainly reminds me of my brothers, although his doesn't have the tail.  Same shaped face though, no doubt.

Edited by Treelamp

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Treelamp said:

I dunno much about that, but Stained Glass art is cool to make.  Honestly I'm not sure if I ever made something myself, or just messed around, but I am fairly confident I could produce a stained glass item.  At the very least I've learned or watched my mother do it, she has a few pieces in the house that we have.

@Zoe sick doggos.  The aussie certainly reminds me of my brothers, although his doesn't have the tail.  Same shaped face though, no doubt.

I want to learn to do stained glass, they’re sooo pretty! 

For etching, I’d draw/copy a design and then use a sticker cutter to cut it out. I used the sticker as a mask and chemically etched it. One of my early ones below.

951BC02D-A510-40F0-B800-012CE5E2CBA5.jpeg

Edited by GhostChopper

8 hours ago, GhostChopper said:

For etching, I’d draw/copy a design and then use a sticker cutter to cut it out. I used the sticker as a mask and chemically etched it. One of my early ones below.

What?! This is so cool!!! You gotta do more!

And now I wanna see what @Treelamp's mom has made, apparently?!

9 hours ago, GhostChopper said:

That is very cool. It is much more precise than I thought it would be.

10 hours ago, GhostChopper said:

I used to do stained glass in college.. and did some glass blowing here in Pittsburgh for a few years.

I miss both of them. 

Etching is cool - well done @GhostChopper

4 hours ago, Zoe said:

What?! This is so cool!!! You gotta do more!

And now I wanna see what @Treelamp's mom has made, apparently?!

@Zoe I could make ya one with the dogmight logo if ya want? Just met me know if you prefer a shot glass, beer glass, or wine glass. 

Glass etching looks so cool. Would also love to learn glass blowing.  My husband and I both learned how to do lampwork beading. I was terrible at it (burned mine - though still looked cool), but my husband was good at it. We have all the components to make them at our house but he hasn't had time to do anything with them.

2 hours ago, WxCougar said:

Glass etching looks so cool. Would also love to learn glass blowing.  My husband and I both learned how to do lampwork beading. I was terrible at it (burned mine - though still looked cool), but my husband was good at it. We have all the components to make them at our house but he hasn't had time to do anything with them.

Lamp work beading?!? That sounds like fun. I want to learn glass blowing as well, I hear you can make glass beads that way 😻

20 minutes ago, GhostChopper said:

That's soo cool!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! I want to try!

I would set myself on fire.

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

I would set myself on fire.

Her hands are a lot closer to the flames than I would want to be...but I figure I can just get a longer rod =D

22 hours ago, GhostChopper said:

Well, if I'm confident I can do it, I'm pretty sure anyone can do it.

As for that glass bead shit, uh, I'll pass.  I don't have any predilection for fire.  Plus cutting glass is a lot more fun, and you just have to solder them together.  Most stained glass stuff comes as like, cut out paper patterns?  At least in my familiarity.  Then you pick the glasses and use the pattern pieces to cut them out, it's a lot like color by numbers lol.