Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zoe

Non-gaming & non-wood hobbies!

Recommended Posts

I am just a big nerd. I have a lot of things i want to try for hobbies but time/space/money have made me unable to really get started in them.

Aside from gaming I the only real hobby i have right now is electronics. I am an Electrical Engineering Technologist according to my college certificate, so I'm always playing with something when i have a few minutes. I am "currently" (haven't had time to touch it in almost two months :( ) making a steering wheel for racing games. Since i had a few parts laying around I started to make one from scratch rather then using one of the existing projects which is NOT easy due to the poorly documented USB HID protocol especially for a force feedback device.

I used to play paintball and airsoft but haven't done either in a couple years.

I used to snowboard but have only gotten out a few times since i had kids (oldest is 8 ) I was even setting up to start making snowboards. I have enough fiberglass to make 40 boards and a press frame made from $600 in steel tubing just sitting around in the grandfather in laws garage.

I dirtbike when ever i can which is about twice a year as i have no where to store my bike so they are over 3 hours away at my parents.

I would say 3d printing is a hobby but really that is mainly used for making game pieces so it is basically part of my gaming hobby.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, marsniper_27 said:

I am just a big nerd. I have a lot of things i want to try for hobbies but time/space/money have made me unable to really get started in them.

Aside from gaming I the only real hobby i have right now is electronics. I am an Electrical Engineering Technologist according to my college certificate, so I'm always playing with something when i have a few minutes. I am "currently" (haven't had time to touch it in almost two months :( ) making a steering wheel for racing games. Since i had a few parts laying around I started to make one from scratch rather then using one of the existing projects which is NOT easy due to the poorly documented USB HID protocol especially for a force feedback device.

I used to play paintball and airsoft but haven't done either in a couple years.

I used to snowboard but have only gotten out a few times since i had kids (oldest is 8 ) I was even setting up to start making snowboards. I have enough fiberglass to make 40 boards and a press frame made from $600 in steel tubing just sitting around in the grandfather in laws garage.

I dirtbike when ever i can which is about twice a year as i have no where to store my bike so they are over 3 hours away at my parents.

I would say 3d printing is a hobby but really that is mainly used for making game pieces so it is basically part of my gaming hobby.

I grew up riding dirt bikes. I miss it. My folks accidently bought me a 'racing' bike when I was about 10. I will never forget the look on their faces as they were driving on a dirt road and I flew passed them. They were going about 50mph. I just waved and kept on keepin' on.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Serge Darveau said:

In the 80's, I was playing more than 100 games each year. :) 

Curling Pins collection :) 

43743635_1906887722700543_5615188252211281920_n.jpg.82e39237fe9df036ea0c6d4e79efdf6b.jpg

I'd react to this, but I'm out of reactions again! ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Konas said:

I grew up riding dirt bikes. I miss it. My folks accidently bought me a 'racing' bike when I was about 10. I will never forget the look on their faces as they were driving on a dirt road and I flew passed them. They were going about 50mph. I just waved and kept on keepin' on.

I'd react to this, but I'm out of reactions again! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Konas said:

I grew up riding dirt bikes. I miss it. My folks accidently bought me a 'racing' bike when I was about 10. I will never forget the look on their faces as they were driving on a dirt road and I flew passed them. They were going about 50mph. I just waved and kept on keepin' on.

My current bike is a 1981 Suzuki pe175z. It's bike and heavy and vibrates like hell but it runs lol.  We did have 3 bikes stolen last month :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

I tried curling back in the day.  It's big in Minnesota.  You need to be in a LOT better shape than you think you'll need to be.  I could do the sweeping fine, but the sliding on one foot and then rising up to both feet caused my knee to give me the finger.

Which is why I was a stick-curler.. my knee couldn't take it either.

That worked fine for casual play, although I could never do 'competitive' play that way.

But yeah, between already having a bad knee, and then busting the shoulder.. I pretty much can't do it any more.  Still love the sport though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Zoe, we only have 2 cats now, so I don't think I'd consider that a lot ; ).  We did have 3 sheep but we lost those to predation a few years back. I have a picture of them somewhere but can't seem to find it at the moment. We hope to get a cow or two in the next few years for beef, but have some pasture work to do first.

Let's see hobbies - I have a ton of those ;).

I do various types of arts and crafts - painting not just miniatures but gourds and the occasional ceramic. I have started doing the paint and sips and those are a ton of fun. Never expected I could do canvas painting but so far, so long as I have an idea of what I am doing, they don't look half bad.  I do cross stitch occasionally, but my sister is way better at it than I am. Chainmaille, seed bead and wire jewelry are my main craft at present and we sell at farmer's markets and bazaars. I also have a Taikadai loom (Japanese braiding), and have made a few scarves/belts. Included a picture.

I love photography and have included a few pictures that I have taken. One is in an old tree in Blue Basin in the John Day Fossil Beds in Central Oregon, an old building I found in the John Day Valley and the other is a local sunset over a corn field.

Music is another love of mine and I play all kinds of instruments (flute/piccolo/alto flute, all the recorders,  trumpet, trombone, bassoon and handbells). I am currently leading a handbell choir and am playing piccolo in the local orchestra.

My husband and I also are involved in the local Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), which is actually how we met. He is a heavy fighter and I was involved in the arts and crafts as well as music. Its been a few years since we have had a chance to get back in to that, but hope to soon.

My husband and I are also Rock Hounds and have collected lots of various rocks from local hunting trips with our local chapter, as well as purchased many over the years (I have been a lover of rocks since I was little). This is another hobby that has taken a hiatus and we hope to get back to Glass Buttes to do some more obsidian hunting.

blue basin walk.jpg

DSC01798.JPG

Old Building and flowers.jpg

The kumihimo belts..jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thomas Browne said:

Which is why I was a stick-curler.. my knee couldn't take it either.

That worked fine for casual play, although I could never do 'competitive' play that way.

But yeah, between already having a bad knee, and then busting the shoulder.. I pretty much can't do it any more.  Still love the sport though.

I'd react, but I'm out of reactions.  Still want to drink beer when I watch it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zoe said:

OH NOOOO. You need to see them!!!! I worked too hard on these for you not to see them!!! Do these work?

bracelet1.jpg

bracelet2.jpg

bracelet3.jpg

asher1.jpg

asher2.jpg

And hahahaha, about the bell peppers and jalapenos... we actually did that on purpose since we have a spice addiction.

Gorgeous photos!  And the bracelet is really cool.

I plant my bells and jalapenos next to each other and haven't run into a problem with the bells getting too spicy. Now we have had some mild jalapenos and a couple years they were very hot (I am a spice wimp though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

@Zoe, we only have 2 cats now, so I don't think I'd consider that a lot ; ).  We did have 3 sheep but we lost those to predation a few years back. I have a picture of them somewhere but can't seem to find it at the moment. We hope to get a cow or two in the next few years for beef, but have some pasture work to do first.

Let's see hobbies - I have a ton of those ;).

I do various types of arts and crafts - painting not just miniatures but gourds and the occasional ceramic. I have started doing the paint and sips and those are a ton of fun. Never expected I could do canvas painting but so far, so long as I have an idea of what I am doing, they don't look half bad.  I do cross stitch occasionally, but my sister is way better at it than I am. Chainmaille, seed bead and wire jewelry are my main craft at present and we sell at farmer's markets and bazaars. I also have a Taikadai loom (Japanese braiding), and have made a few scarves/belts. Included a picture.

I love photography and have included a few pictures that I have taken. One is in an old tree in Blue Basin in the John Day Fossil Beds in Central Oregon, an old building I found in the John Day Valley and the other is a local sunset over a corn field.

Music is another love of mine and I play all kinds of instruments (flute/piccolo/alto flute, all the recorders,  trumpet, trombone, bassoon and handbells). I am currently leading a handbell choir and am playing piccolo in the local orchestra.

My husband and I also are involved in the local Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), which is actually how we met. He is a heavy fighter and I was involved in the arts and crafts as well as music. Its been a few years since we have had a chance to get back in to that, but hope to soon.

My husband and I are also Rock Hounds and have collected lots of various rocks from local hunting trips with our local chapter, as well as purchased many over the years (I have been a lover of rocks since I was little). This is another hobby that has taken a hiatus and we hope to get back to Glass Buttes to do some more obsidian hunting.

blue basin walk.jpg

DSC01798.JPG

Old Building and flowers.jpg

The kumihimo belts..jpg

Nice pics.  That old shack looks like it was set up to get in the way of mud/rock slides.  How did it last that long?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Nice pics.  That old shack looks like it was set up to get in the way of mud/rock slides.  How did it last that long?  

We don't get a ton of rain out this way. You'd have to have the thunderstorm go to the right spot and dump a lot of rain to get a mudslide/rockslide.  Also helps that those hills are very sandy so it will soak in a lot of the rain.  Can't say the same for a location about 50 miles west where those hills/mountains are narrow rock canyons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

@Zoe, we only have 2 cats now, so I don't think I'd consider that a lot ; ).  We did have 3 sheep but we lost those to predation a few years back. I have a picture of them somewhere but can't seem to find it at the moment. We hope to get a cow or two in the next few years for beef, but have some pasture work to do first.

Let's see hobbies - I have a ton of those ;).

I do various types of arts and crafts - painting not just miniatures but gourds and the occasional ceramic. I have started doing the paint and sips and those are a ton of fun. Never expected I could do canvas painting but so far, so long as I have an idea of what I am doing, they don't look half bad.  I do cross stitch occasionally, but my sister is way better at it than I am. Chainmaille, seed bead and wire jewelry are my main craft at present and we sell at farmer's markets and bazaars. I also have a Taikadai loom (Japanese braiding), and have made a few scarves/belts. Included a picture.

I love photography and have included a few pictures that I have taken. One is in an old tree in Blue Basin in the John Day Fossil Beds in Central Oregon, an old building I found in the John Day Valley and the other is a local sunset over a corn field.

Music is another love of mine and I play all kinds of instruments (flute/piccolo/alto flute, all the recorders,  trumpet, trombone, bassoon and handbells). I am currently leading a handbell choir and am playing piccolo in the local orchestra.

My husband and I also are involved in the local Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), which is actually how we met. He is a heavy fighter and I was involved in the arts and crafts as well as music. Its been a few years since we have had a chance to get back in to that, but hope to soon.

My husband and I are also Rock Hounds and have collected lots of various rocks from local hunting trips with our local chapter, as well as purchased many over the years (I have been a lover of rocks since I was little). This is another hobby that has taken a hiatus and we hope to get back to Glass Buttes to do some more obsidian hunting.

blue basin walk.jpg

DSC01798.JPG

Old Building and flowers.jpg

The kumihimo belts..jpg

This is so awesome!! Ohmygosh. I LOVE that sunset photo.

And oh no - I didn't realize you had lost your sheep! Gotta get yourself a livestock guardian dog breed next time 'round. How much poop did you have to deal with having just the three? ? I always want to have sheep, just to be able to justify learning how to teach my dogs how to herd (although it's mostly inherent/genetic anyway), but at that point I think it may only be worthwhile if you've got at least 5 sheep... and my boyfriend doesn't like the sound of how much poop that may turn out to be. Probably gonna get chickens once we buy a house, though! My one dog will enjoy protecting them, I think, since he already likes to yell at deer to go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zoe said:

This is so awesome!! Ohmygosh. I LOVE that sunset photo.

And oh no - I didn't realize you had lost your sheep! Gotta get yourself a livestock guardian dog breed next time 'round. How much poop did you have to deal with having just the three? ? I always want to have sheep, just to be able to justify learning how to teach my dogs how to herd (although it's mostly inherent/genetic anyway), but at that point I think it may only be worthwhile if you've got at least 5 sheep... and my boyfriend doesn't like the sound of how much poop that may turn out to be. Probably gonna get chickens once we buy a house, though! My one dog will enjoy protecting them, I think, since he already likes to yell at deer to go away.

We didn't really have to deal with much poop since they were free range on 4 acres. We also picked Katahdin (Hair sheep) so we didn't have to worry about sheering them. Never could get them to come up to us though, they were a bit wild. Peanut was a bottle fed so he was a little more apt to let us pet him (he actually had a really cute face).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

@Zoe, we only have 2 cats now, so I don't think I'd consider that a lot ; ).  We did have 3 sheep but we lost those to predation a few years back. I have a picture of them somewhere but can't seem to find it at the moment. We hope to get a cow or two in the next few years for beef, but have some pasture work to do first.

Let's see hobbies - I have a ton of those ;).

I do various types of arts and crafts - painting not just miniatures but gourds and the occasional ceramic. I have started doing the paint and sips and those are a ton of fun. Never expected I could do canvas painting but so far, so long as I have an idea of what I am doing, they don't look half bad.  I do cross stitch occasionally, but my sister is way better at it than I am. Chainmaille, seed bead and wire jewelry are my main craft at present and we sell at farmer's markets and bazaars. I also have a Taikadai loom (Japanese braiding), and have made a few scarves/belts. Included a picture.

I love photography and have included a few pictures that I have taken. One is in an old tree in Blue Basin in the John Day Fossil Beds in Central Oregon, an old building I found in the John Day Valley and the other is a local sunset over a corn field.

Music is another love of mine and I play all kinds of instruments (flute/piccolo/alto flute, all the recorders,  trumpet, trombone, bassoon and handbells). I am currently leading a handbell choir and am playing piccolo in the local orchestra.

My husband and I also are involved in the local Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), which is actually how we met. He is a heavy fighter and I was involved in the arts and crafts as well as music. Its been a few years since we have had a chance to get back in to that, but hope to soon.

My husband and I are also Rock Hounds and have collected lots of various rocks from local hunting trips with our local chapter, as well as purchased many over the years (I have been a lover of rocks since I was little). This is another hobby that has taken a hiatus and we hope to get back to Glass Buttes to do some more obsidian hunting.

blue basin walk.jpg

DSC01798.JPG

Old Building and flowers.jpg

The kumihimo belts..jpg

How in the hell did you get a pic of my house!?!?!?!?! 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Konas said:

How in the hell did you get a pic of my house!?!?!?!?! 

It's a lovely house in a lovely area ; ).  There's actually a funny story attached to that.  My friend and I were doing two different byway tours, and we would pull over and read every brown information sign we saw. When we were in the middle of the John Day Valley, we saw a sign for one of those info signs and pulled onto a dirt road. We didn't see the sign so figured it was further down, so we kept driving. After I think it was a mile or so we decided we missed it but happened to turn around where this lovely old homestead was. Turns out that info sign was about two feet away from the turn off. We just didn't see it. The homestead was far more interesting though : ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

It's a lovely house in a lovely area ; ).  There's actually a funny story attached to that.  My friend and I were doing two different byway tours, and we would pull over and read every brown information sign we saw. When we were in the middle of the John Day Valley, we saw a sign for one of those info signs and pulled onto a dirt road. We didn't see the sign so figured it was further down, so we kept driving. After I think it was a mile or so we decided we missed it but happened to turn around where this lovely old homestead was. Turns out that info sign was about two feet away from the turn off. We just didn't see it. The homestead was far more interesting though : ).

My mother loved those "points of interest" signs.  She always wanted to stop and read the sign.

Edited by Barb Bliss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see:

Between 2008 and 2013, I lost 90 lbs and we started doing sprint triathlons.  Our last one was last season and I'm starting to sneak weight back on.  (We had a near miss with one of the neighbor's kids - txting while driving - and I hung the bike on the wall; should be easy to shrug off but it's been 18 months and I still get queasy thinking about that day).

We own 10 acres and I have a TON of projects I should be making more progress on outside.  I have a grove of black walnut that I'm trying to keep nice for future veneer wood.  I have about 6 acres of ash - and we have the ash bore - that I'd like to clear cut and replant in oak or walnut.

I inherited my Grandad and Great Grandad's Farmall tractors (an 'M' and an 'H' from 1944/45) that I need to get running again.

I'm cutting a trail thru the woods for mountain biking.  Now that the brush is starting to die off, I can get back to it.

I used to drink scotch but can't afford it anymore (damn hipsters!) so I've switched to good ol' american Rye.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Let's see:

Between 2008 and 2013, I lost 90 lbs and we started doing sprint triathlons.  Our last one was last season and I'm starting to sneak weight back on.  (We had a near miss with one of the neighbor's kids - txting while driving - and I hung the bike on the wall; should be easy to shrug off but it's been 18 months and I still get queasy thinking about that day).

We own 10 acres and I have a TON of projects I should be making more progress on outside.  I have a grove of black walnut that I'm trying to keep nice for future veneer wood.  I have about 6 acres of ash - and we have the ash bore - that I'd like to clear cut and replant in oak or walnut.

I inherited my Grandad and Great Grandad's Farmall tractors (an 'M' and an 'H' from 1944/45) that I need to get running again.

I'm cutting a trail thru the woods for mountain biking.  Now that the brush is starting to die off, I can get back to it.

I used to drink scotch but can't afford it anymore (damn hipsters!) so I've switched to good ol' american Rye.

I've got one word for you.  Gin!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I've got one word for you.  Gin!

I like Gin!  Gin doesn't like me!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

I like Gin!  Gin doesn't like me!  

That's the saddest thing I've heard all month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys have some awesome hobbies. I share several of the same ones you do.

  • Painting. Used to paint on canvas in college.  That faded as I focused on teaching. I took up miniature painting a year ago or so. Also recently been doing some wood painting.
  • Graphic Design. This is like painting but on the computer. Not only do I teach Graphic Design, I do a lot of projects, some which have been printed in school newspapers, yearbook, and websites.
  • Photography. Fell in love with this in college, but never got to take a class in it. But somehow I later was teaching kids how to take photos in journalism class I taught. My photos have appeared in my high school newspaper, yearbooks, and various website. Kids and parents will sometimes download pictures I take and put them on their phones, making them their wallpapers. I feel honored whenever they do that. 
  • Writing. I fell in love with this hobby back when I was in 6th grade. So far, I have had articles appear in several college/high school newspapers, online blogging, and five books published (self-published, but still published). I've also edited two books which my father published. He is his 70's and I'm proud of him taking up writing after he retirement.
  • Crochet. I used to do this quite a bit. Back when I in  maybe 10th grade, my first  baby blanket I made even won 1st place in a contest. I used to crochet Christmas ornaments to give to all my students. As I teach high school, that is over a hundred needed. I would start months in advance about the time weather cooled off.
Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Let's see:

Between 2008 and 2013, I lost 90 lbs and we started doing sprint triathlons.  Our last one was last season and I'm starting to sneak weight back on.  (We had a near miss with one of the neighbor's kids - txting while driving - and I hung the bike on the wall; should be easy to shrug off but it's been 18 months and I still get queasy thinking about that day).

We own 10 acres and I have a TON of projects I should be making more progress on outside.  I have a grove of black walnut that I'm trying to keep nice for future veneer wood.  I have about 6 acres of ash - and we have the ash bore - that I'd like to clear cut and replant in oak or walnut.

I inherited my Grandad and Great Grandad's Farmall tractors (an 'M' and an 'H' from 1944/45) that I need to get running again.

I'm cutting a trail thru the woods for mountain biking.  Now that the brush is starting to die off, I can get back to it.

I used to drink scotch but can't afford it anymore (damn hipsters!) so I've switched to good ol' american Rye.

 

I love mountain biking. Where I live we have some of the best trails in the state. Now, Lindsey and I run on them a lot. We will start biking them once she gets a bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RomyCat said:

You guys have some awesome hobbies. I share several of the same ones you do.

  • Painting. Used to paint on canvas in college.  That faded as I focused on teaching. I took up miniature painting a year ago or so. Also recently been doing some wood painting.
  • Graphic Design. This is like painting but on the computer. Not only do I teach Graphic Design, I do a lot of projects, some which have been printed in school newspapers, yearbook, and websites.
  • Photography. Fell in love with this in college, but never got to take a class in it. But somehow I later was teaching kids how to take photos in journalism class I taught. My photos have appeared in my high school newspaper, yearbooks, and various website. Kids and parents will sometimes download pictures I take and put them on their phones, making them their wallpapers. I feel honored whenever they do that. 
  • Writing. I fell in love with this hobby back when I was in 6th grade. So far, I have had articles appear in several college/high school newspapers, online blogging, and five books published (self-published, but still published). I've also edited two books which my father published. He is his 70's and I'm proud of him taking up writing after he retirement.
  • Crochet. I used to do this quite a bit. Back when I in  maybe 10th grade, my first  baby blanket I made even won 1st place in a contest. I used to crochet Christmas ornaments to give to all my students. As I teach high school, that is over a hundred needed. I would start months in advance about the time weather cooled off.

Books!?!?!? What do you write about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Konas said:

Books!?!?!? What do you write about?

Got a 3 part sc-fi trilogy out. I had a BLAST writing them.  Also have a fantasy novel.  It was actually the first book I ever wrote. Took three years to finish the rough draft, but I very much enjoyed the process. I'm working on editing its sequel now, though most of my writing takes place over extended breaks like summer and Christmas.  I also wrote a history fiction novel. That one was the hardest to write due to a vast about of research required to make it historically accurate.  Boy, do I know a lot about Roman history now. Which was actually pretty useful when writing my sci-fi series as it dealt with a government that, at times, echoed issues dealing with the the late Roman time period.  

If you would like to check out my books, here is the link:  my books

Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Got a 3 part sc-fi trilogy out. I had a BLAST writing them.  Also have a fantasy novel.  It was actually the first book I ever wrote. Took three years to finish the rough draft, but I very much enjoyed the process. I'm working on editing its sequel now, though most of my writing takes place over extended breaks like summer and Christmas.  I also wrote a history fiction novel. That one was the hardest to write due to a vast about of research required to make it historically accurate.  Boy, do I know a lot about Roman history now. Which was actually pretty useful when writing my sci-fi series as it dealt with a government that, at times, echoed issues dealing with the the late Roman time period.  

If you would like to check out my books, here is the link:  my books

I love the title of 'Jagged Road to Sainthood'. Very cool!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×