Sign in to follow this  
Zoe

Non-gaming & non-wood hobbies!

HAHA. A great place for all of us to show off any hobbies we may have outside of gaming or woodworking!

I'm getting deeper and deeper into dog sports (agility primarily) so I can show you guys some of that if anyone's interested (don't get me started, honestly, I have a Problem). I also have an accessory problem, so I decided to start learning how to make my own leashes and collars out of a material called biothane. Biothane is a fake leather material with nylon webbing down the center, it's often used for horse tack. I'll get some photos of what I've done so far when I get home, but it's not anything impressive yet!

I imagine @Barb Bliss has lots of planting stuff to share (and should!!!). My boyfriend and I started a real garden this year and grew at least 30 pounds of tomatoes. Also grew some habaneros, jalapenos, rosemary, basil, and some other goodies. Our strawberries were eaten by the wildlife (we ended up putting a fence netting around the tomatoes to keep them safe). I dunno what @WxCougar is doing with all those animals she has, but she should show some photos of them... ?

Lastly, my boyfriend started blacksmithing a year ago, which is where a couple of our hobbies meet. My first dog-related hobby was/is photography, so here are some shots of his most recent work that I took and edited, trying to be fancy (see next post).

This is a technique called mokume-gane. He turned that stack of quarters into that bracelet, which, since they are made of two different metals, produces that really cool wood grainy finger printy look. These photos were also some of my first shot in RAW.

And then here's one of my best dog photos after I got the hang of RAW (see next post).

That's shot from above with him between my legs (doing his trick 'peekaboo,' we can dance together).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zoe said:

HAHA. A great place for all of us to show off any hobbies we may have outside of gaming or woodworking!

I'm getting deeper and deeper into dog sports (agility primarily) so I can show you guys some of that if anyone's interested (don't get me started, honestly, I have a Problem). I also have an accessory problem, so I decided to start learning how to make my own leashes and collars out of a material called biothane. Biothane is a fake leather material with nylon webbing down the center, it's often used for horse tack. I'll get some photos of what I've done so far when I get home, but it's not anything impressive yet!

I imagine @Barb Bliss has lots of planting stuff to share (and should!!!). My boyfriend and I started a real garden this year and grew at least 30 pounds of tomatoes. Also grew some habaneros, jalapenos, rosemary, basil, and some other goodies. Our strawberries were eaten by the wildlife (we ended up putting a fence netting around the tomatoes to keep them safe). I dunno what @WxCougar is doing with all those animals she has, but she should show some photos of them... ?

Lastly, my boyfriend started blacksmithing a year ago, which is where a couple of our hobbies meet. My first dog-related hobby was/is photography, so here are some shots of his most recent work that I took and edited, trying to be fancy:

tumblr_pcmzl0zj4V1v5j7vso2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pcmzl0zj4V1v5j7vso3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pcmzl0zj4V1v5j7vso1_1280.jpg

This is a technique called mokume-gane. He turned that stack of quarters into that bracelet, which, since they are made of two different metals, produces that really cool wood grainy finger printy look. These photos were also some of my first shot in RAW.

And then here's one of my best dog photos after I got the hang of RAW:

tumblr_peauwgUhT91v5j7vso2_1280.jpgtumblr_peauwgUhT91v5j7vso1_1280.jpg

That's shot from above with him between my legs (doing his trick 'peekaboo,' we can dance together).

I can't see any of the pictures.  ?  Note: One think I learned early was don't plant the bell peppers anywhere near the jalapenos.  The bees can make the bells just as hot as the hot peppers.

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I can't see any of the pictures.  ?  Note: One think I learned early was don't plant the bell peppers anywhere near the jalapenos.  The bees can make the bells just as hot as the hot peppers.

OH NOOOO. You need to see them!!!! I worked too hard on these for you not to see them!!! Do these work?

bracelet1.jpg

bracelet2.jpg

bracelet3.jpg

asher1.jpg

asher2.jpg

And hahahaha, about the bell peppers and jalapenos... we actually did that on purpose since we have a spice addiction.

• Like 1

I used to needlepoint a lot when I was younger.  My sweet baby, Kunta Kittie, had the self restraint to lie on my legs while I stitched.  Inkie was a disaster, so she would exit stage right when the needlework came out.  Kunta knew she'd be given the heave ho if she messed with the fibers, so she calmly laid there, and eventually would nap.  The only speed bumps were the metallic fibers.  She'd look at the fibers, then she'd look at me, and back at the fibers.  You could see the gears turning in  her head.  I'd say "Don't do it.  You know what will happen."  About 30% of the time that would stop her.   The other 70% of the time, she finally wouldn't be able to stand it anymore, and would lunge at the fibers.  A lot of my work lovingly has cat hair tucked underneath the stitches.

Every year, I would make a Christmas ornament for every kid in the family.  The thought being that by the time they left home, they'd have a set of ornaments to call their own.  It was a lot of work for a while, but now, there's only a few 3rd cousins that live a long ways away, and I didn't restart it for that next generation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zoe said:

OH NOOOO. You need to see them!!!! I worked too hard on these for you not to see them!!! Do these work?

bracelet1.jpg

bracelet2.jpg

bracelet3.jpg

asher1.jpg

asher2.jpg

And hahahaha, about the bell peppers and jalapenos... we actually did that on purpose since we have a spice addiction.

Yes!  Thanks.  BTW, it's technically a felony to mess with US currency...

Yes!  Thanks.  BTW, it's technically a felony to mess with US currency...

Uhh, uhhh, uhhhhhhhhh, they are.. fake... quarters. Obviously. Canadian quarters, too, that we got from being so close to the border. (That's actually true! I worked in retail when I was younger and in one area, we would take Canadian quarters 'cause it was just gonna happen, but another place I worked at in the same town refused to take it. It was a PIA.)

• Haha 1

Just now, Zoe said:

Uhh, uhhh, uhhhhhhhhh, they are.. fake... quarters. Obviously. Canadian quarters, too, that we got from being so close to the border. (That's actually true! I worked in retail when I was younger and in one area, we would take Canadian quarters 'cause it was just gonna happen, but another place I worked at in the same town refused to take it. It was a PIA.)

Don't think they will bother, but if the bracelets take off, he might want to keep mum as to how they are made.  ?

• Haha 1

I was an artist for a while..in my earlier life. Lots of commissions based on antique family pics. A lot of sport stuff. @Barb Bliss will think I was a sell out because of all the U of M stuff. I totally was. I sold a bunch of them. Now, I no longer take commissions and only paint for fun. I have been working on a painting of the Marvel character 'Juggernaut' for a while. It is on my wall unfinished. Someday I will finish it...probably. I will get a pic of it and post here. For now, here is some of my older stuff

071012123107.jpg

126853690599083.jpg

126929246578928.jpg

profile_picture_by_michaelkonas-d5egq28.jpg

U-of-M-Stadium.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, Konas said:

I was an artist for a while..in my earlier life. Lots of commissions based on antique family pics. A lot of sport stuff. @Barb Bliss will think I was a sell out because of all the U of M stuff. I totally was. I sold a bunch of them. Now, I no longer take commissions and only paint for fun. I have been working on a painting of the Marvel character 'Juggernaut' for a while. It is on my wall unfinished. Someday I will finish it...probably. I will get a pic of it and post here. For now, here is some of my older stuff

126929246578928.jpg

U-of-M-Stadium.jpg

I'm surprised you didn't go blind.

• Haha 1

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

I'm surprised you didn't go blind.

I thought that happened from a different 'activity' not from painting U of M stuff...

Just now, Konas said:

I thought that happened from a different 'activity' not from painting U of M stuff...

That too!

31 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I used to needlepoint a lot when I was younger.  My sweet baby, Kunta Kittie, had the self restraint to lie on my legs while I stitched.  Inkie was a disaster, so she would exit stage right when the needlework came out.  Kunta knew she'd be given the heave ho if she messed with the fibers, so she calmly laid there, and eventually would nap.  The only speed bumps were the metallic fibers.  She'd look at the fibers, then she'd look at me, and back at the fibers.  You could see the gears turning in  her head.  I'd say "Don't do it.  You know what will happen."  About 30% of the time that would stop her.   The other 70% of the time, she finally wouldn't be able to stand it anymore, and would lunge at the fibers.  A lot of my work lovingly has cat hair tucked underneath the stitches.

Every year, I would make a Christmas ornament for every kid in the family.  The thought being that by the time they left home, they'd have a set of ornaments to call their own.  It was a lot of work for a while, but now, there's only a few 3rd cousins that live a long ways away, and I didn't restart it for that next generation.

What?! That's awesome!! I forget - I also knit, haha. I've been knitting the same scarf for probably 5 years or something ridiculous, since I only go to it a couple times a year. Do a few rows. Don't bother again for awhile. It's also an extra long scarf.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Konas said:

071012123107.jpg

126853690599083.jpg

126929246578928.jpg

profile_picture_by_michaelkonas-d5egq28.jpg

U-of-M-Stadium.jpg

I love that second one! The expressions in that one are all cozy and homey feeling.

1 minute ago, Zoe said:

What?! That's awesome!! I forget - I also knit, haha. I've been knitting the same scarf for probably 5 years or something ridiculous, since I only go to it a couple times a year. Do a few rows. Don't bother again for awhile. It's also an extra long scarf.

For extra slow knitting….

fired.png.798913e563b19110707e2551eabddc4a.png

• Haha 3

Just now, Konas said:

For extra slow knitting….

fired.png.798913e563b19110707e2551eabddc4a.png

OKAY THIS ONE'S JUST UNFAIR

• Haha 1

Just now, Zoe said:

OKAY THIS ONE'S JUST UNFAIR

Give him the scarf and he'll probably hire you back.

• Haha 2

I've always enjoyed working with my hands.. unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to do it much since I left college.

Past hobbies include:

stained glass

wheel pottery

glassblowing (that one actually IS post college, but I ran through the basic classes and all the advanced classes have always been on days I can't do it :( So I ended up stopping)

Also I did curling for a number of years until I injured a shoulder twice (once while curling, once not) - kind of made it impossible to sweep effectively.

• Like 2

Give him the scarf and he'll probably hire you back.

Oh he'll hire her back anyway.  After all, if he didn't - who would he fire?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

I've always enjoyed working with my hands.. unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to do it much since I left college.

Past hobbies include:

stained glass

wheel pottery

glassblowing (that one actually IS post college, but I ran through the basic classes and all the advanced classes have always been on days I can't do it :( So I ended up stopping)

Also I did curling for a number of years until I injured a shoulder twice (once while curling, once not) - kind of made it impossible to sweep effectively.

What! These are awesome! I want to see what you made!!

9 minutes ago, Zoe said:

What! These are awesome! I want to see what you made!!

I definitely have examples of the glassblowing I can post this weekend.

I probably have some stained glass and pottery lying around too - although most of those were given to family at different times.

I'll see what I can find.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

Past hobbies include:

stained glass

wheel pottery

I have always wanted to Curl! there's a club here but it is about an hour away and too tough with my schedule.

Just now, Konas said:

I have always wanted to Curl! there's a club here but it is about an hour away and too tough with my schedule.

I tried curling back in the day.  It's big in Minnesota.  You need to be in a LOT better shape than you think you'll need to be.  I could do the sweeping fine, but the sliding on one foot and then rising up to both feet caused my knee to give me the finger.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Konas said:

In the 80's, I was playing more than 100 games each year. :) 

Curling Pins collection :) 

43743635_1906887722700543_5615188252211281920_n.jpg.82e39237fe9df036ea0c6d4e79efdf6b.jpg

• Like 4