Sign in to follow this  
Zoxe

Hobby Stuff You Can't Do Without

When it comes to the Hobby aspect assembling and painting minis, what are the things you reach for almost every project?  (I don't necessarily mean brushes or wet palettes, though we could have a thread just about either... looking for the more obscure products or specific colors that made you say "oh wow, holy cow" when you first used it.)

Here's a few from me:

• ArmyPainter Necromancer Cloak.  I end up using this color on every mini that I paint. It's a very deep charcoal gray.  It's neutral, neither warm nor cold, and works well with almost every other color. It doubles as black in a lot of cases, but *isn't* black so you can actually use a wash to shade it a bit.  It's quite thick from the bottle but thins well and retains coverage.
  • Xuron 170 Clippers.  For $8 on amazon, these clippers have been some of the best investment in my hobby.
  • Liquitex Inks.  Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, and Carbon Black. I have less time with these, but have been using them on every model for the past 6 months.  They airbrush like a champ, clean up well, and add quick and easy depth.  The Carbon Black is too opaque to use as a wash, but is super effective as translucent shadows.  The Burnt colors easily add dirt and grime to capes and interesting shadows when applied under arms and around a figure's waist.  Burnt Sienna looks like rust when applied over metallics.  These are more expensive than hobby-grade washes and inks, but the jars are bigger and each model only takes 1-2 drops.

@Zoxe, Depending on the mini, I may use wet blending of colors via a pallet (e.g. my hellhound), but the majority of the minis are smaller and I don't do much blending.  Instead I either use the paint straight out of the bottle or I do some mad scientist concocting of a custom color or wash.  The biggest wows have come from paint additives.  I'm a huge fan of paint additives.  The next biggest wows came from technical paints from Citadel.

Additives (Golden paints I bought from Blicks.  My hellhound used the copper and gold additives for the fire and the technical paint Blood for the Blood God in the mouth):

•  Iridescent Stainless Steel (course)
  • Iridescent Silver (fine)
  • Iridescent Gold (fine)
  • Iridescent Copper (fine)
  • Iridescent Pearl (fine) --> see eyeballs of "Liz Taylor" (last picture) and my unicorn

image.png.6cfc745d7534159b2b8c8785b5365990.png

image.png.ee726ec9794eb627f79a14797ffb4fcd.png

Technical paints (Citadel):

• Typhus Corrosion - awesome for distressing metal paint --> see the blade below
  • Blood for the Blood God - painting in mouths, blood on swords, blood on flesh
  • Nurgle's Rot

image.png.145eba78e638b6d70cac8ad1fffc6cc2.png

Tools: 

• toothbrush - scrub, scrub, scrub the mold release off the mini (lukewarm to a tad warmer soapy water - hot water can deform the mini)  Really makes the details show up
  • Exacto knife (note: may need to check out those clippers; tired of stabbing myself)
  • DMG dice packaging foam (e.g. for rocks, base coat with some grey, paint in some fine veins and blot, blot, blot, maybe smear a little with the foam.  See stone below.

image.png.019bf22fdef2127cfce9222acb308550.png

Washes (in order of volume of usage)

• Nuln Oil (Citadel)
  • Sienna
  • Flesh
  • Umber
  • Blue/green/purple/orange
  • Smoke

Layer paints (translucent) from Citadel

Glazes:

• Yellow over green and blue shades  (See tentacles below for use of yellow glaze)
  • Blue for sunken eyes

image.png.1e524a2eb48d9394c1df9f3a732b22fb.png

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 1

Oh man, I got real jazzed for a second, getting ready to come in and tell you all about my ridiculous growing dog-related obsessions (such as making my own biothane leashes and all my various newly acquired agility equipment), and then I remembered this is a miniature subforum.

Watching all of you paint makes me want to sell my Warhammer 40k Eldar minis and get back into Space Wolves. I don't know why I ever got Eldar, they are not for me. I had had Space Wolves originally and liked them a lot more. It'd take me like, 2 days to paint one single dude, but I loved 'em. Much more my style. I never even played the game itself, though, just spent time painting and trying to make each guy a little unique. The boyfriend has a bunch of Tau and actually painted lens flares on some of the guys. I was impressed! We haven't really touched any of 'em in a couple years, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:
  • Exacto knife (note: may need to check out those clippers; tired of stabbing myself)

Actually, I probably use the back of an X-acto blade most for scraping mold lines.  

The clippers I mentioned are usually used to pop things off the sprue; can get pretty close and not leave a nub.  When I was doing the assembly for my Dropfleet Army and had dozens of sprues, they were a lifesaver. 

I also have the Citadel moldline scraper, but I'd put it in the category of "luxury item" as the #11 x-acto blade is what I usually reach for.  The Citadel tool does have a nicer grip and a curved section for scraping rounded surfaces (pipes, arms, etc.).

11 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Oh man, I got real jazzed for a second, getting ready to come in and tell you all about my ridiculous growing dog-related obsessions (such as making my own biothane leashes and all my various newly acquired agility equipment)

When have we ever stayed on topic here?  Now I want to know! :)

3 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Actually, I probably use the back of an X-acto blade most for scraping mold lines.  

The clippers I mentioned are usually used to pop things off the sprue; can get pretty close and not leave a nub.  When I was doing the assembly for my Dropfleet Army and had dozens of sprues, they were a lifesaver. 

I also have the Citadel moldline scraper, but I'd put it in the category of "luxury item" as the #11 x-acto blade is what I usually reach for.  The Citadel tool does have a nicer grip and a curved section for scraping rounded surfaces (pipes, arms, etc.).

Poop.  I hopped on Amazon and bought a clipper.  So far, I've avoided (like the plague) anything that requires assembly.  And I've been using the sharp side to cut off the mold lines.  I'll have to try the other side.

37 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

When have we ever stayed on topic here?  Now I want to know! :)

Hmm. ? I have an idea~~

12 hours ago, Zoxe said:

When it comes to the Hobby aspect assembling and painting minis, what are the things you reach for almost every project?  (I don't necessarily mean brushes or wet palettes, though we could have a thread just about either... looking for the more obscure products or specific colors that made you say "oh wow, holy cow" when you first used it.)

Here's a few from me:

• ArmyPainter Necromancer Cloak.  I end up using this color on every mini that I paint. It's a very deep charcoal gray.  It's neutral, neither warm nor cold, and works well with almost every other color. It doubles as black in a lot of cases, but *isn't* black so you can actually use a wash to shade it a bit.  It's quite thick from the bottle but thins well and retains coverage.
  • Xuron 170 Clippers.  For $8 on amazon, these clippers have been some of the best investment in my hobby.
  • Liquitex Inks.  Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, and Carbon Black. I have less time with these, but have been using them on every model for the past 6 months.  They airbrush like a champ, clean up well, and add quick and easy depth.  The Carbon Black is too opaque to use as a wash, but is super effective as translucent shadows.  The Burnt colors easily add dirt and grime to capes and interesting shadows when applied under arms and around a figure's waist.  Burnt Sienna looks like rust when applied over metallics.  These are more expensive than hobby-grade washes and inks, but the jars are bigger and each model only takes 1-2 drops.

those clippers are identical to the ones that came with my 3d printer. I have been needing a pair of flush cut clippers for years but never wanted to spend the money on some as i had other tools that "worked" but the clippers are so much easier.

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Poop.  I hopped on Amazon and bought a clipper.  So far, I've avoided (like the plague) anything that requires assembly.  And I've been using the sharp side to cut off the mold lines.  I'll have to try the other side.

If it helps, I use the clippers if there is a particular big mold line or some residue on my plastic figures as well as on some of the pewter if I can't break it off by hand. So those clippers can be useful : ). 

Anyone have any experience and or suggestions for mold lines on Reaper Bones?  I have files that I use for the pewter, but have not tried using an x-acto knife (I am likely to cut off a finger - I am not allowed near knives).

2 hours ago, WxCougar said:

If it helps, I use the clippers if there is a particular big mold line or some residue on my plastic figures as well as on some of the pewter if I can't break it off by hand. So those clippers can be useful : ). 

Anyone have any experience and or suggestions for mold lines on Reaper Bones?  I have files that I use for the pewter, but have not tried using an x-acto knife (I am likely to cut off a finger - I am not allowed near knives).

Reaper Bones are a much softer material, so scraping can tend to tear the material.  You're better off clipping/cutting or maybe the file.  But in the end, "whatever works." :)

11 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Reaper Bones are a much softer material, so scraping can tend to tear the material.  You're better off clipping/cutting or maybe the file.  But in the end, "whatever works." :)

I keep forgetting about mold lines so I haven't tried to do anything.  Will try and remember with the next one I work on to see how the files go.