prepare4robots

Using the Sentinel to store / transport Magic the Gathering cards?

Hi Everyone, I'm a Magic player who's looking for a new deck box that can not only transport the deck (i.e., 80-90 double sleeved Magic cards consisting of a 60 card main deck + 15 card sideboard + 5-10 card tokens), but also the other gaming paraphernalia that go along with playing a game of Magic (i.e., dice, tokens, etc.). I stumbled upon the Sentinel and it looks like it COULD be that solution, but I have a few questions: 

1. Will my deck fit into the Sentinel? 
    • I double sleeve my deck for additional protection, however, this slightly increases the thickness of the cards. The 'Card Triple' Interior Bottom states that each well will hold 50+ sleeved cards. With a total capacity fo 150+ sleeved cards across the three wells I assume 80-90 double sleeved cards will be fine. Can anyone speak to the size fo the Sentinel as it pertains to double sleeved Magic cards? 
  2. Will the Sentinel protect my deck?
    • Looking at the image of the 'Card Triple' Interior Bottom on the website, the corners of each well appear to be slightly curved / angled. Do these corners have the potential to impact the shape or condition of my sleeved cards?
    • I plan on carrying the deck box to and from my local game store in a shoulder bag. Are the magnets strong enough to hold the two sides of the Sentinel together in transit? 

Finally, if anyone could share any pictures of their Sentinel being used to store Magic cards it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, prepare4robots said:

Hi Everyone, I'm a Magic player who's looking for a new deck box that can not only transport the deck (i.e., 80-90 double sleeved Magic cards consisting of a 60 card main deck + 15 card sideboard + 5-10 card tokens), but also the other gaming paraphernalia that go along with playing a game of Magic (i.e., dice, tokens, etc.). I stumbled upon the Sentinel and it looks like it COULD be that solution, but I have a few questions: 

• I double sleeve my deck for additional protection, however, this slightly increases the thickness of the cards. The 'Card Triple' Interior Bottom states that each well will hold 50+ sleeved cards. With a total capacity fo 150+ sleeved cards across the three wells I assume 80-90 double sleeved cards will be fine. Can anyone speak to the size fo the Sentinel as it pertains to double sleeved Magic cards? 
    • Looking at the image of the 'Card Triple' Interior Bottom on the website, the corners of each well appear to be slightly curved / angled. Do these corners have the potential to impact the shape or condition of my sleeved cards?
    • I plan on carrying the deck box to and from my local game store in a shoulder bag. Are the magnets strong enough to hold the two sides of the Sentinel together in transit? 

Finally, if anyone could share any pictures of their Sentinel being used to store Magic cards it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

I've never played Magic, but I have all the cards and bits for Massive Darkness (including 3 expansions and two sets of dice) in 2 sentinels.  Note: I have the wrong sized sleeves on the equipment cards, so that's why they don't fit in the slots well.  The 3 card configuration is deeper than you think.  

image.thumb.png.bb06be2aee193cd5b53e32ec6f73c957.png

image.thumb.png.4fa25da3d53e06b5b2df57b8c2fae25a.png

• Like 1

I can't answer for Magic specifically or really much in the way of cards. But I can attest that the magnets are quite strong and hold up well.  I haven't done a lot of traveling with my sentinel yet but have with other products with similarly strong magnets (like the XL dragon sheath. That one has such a grip it sometimes takes me a moment to open it - but I'm also kind of a weakling :) ).

• Like 1

@Konas might have a good feel for how many cards fit in there as well, since he uses his for L5R!

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:53 AM, prepare4robots said:

Hey @prepare4robots ! I'm the MTG player at DMG headquarters and I've been using the sentinel with no issues for my EDH deck. I don't believe you could do double sleeve with EDH but if you are looking to transport a double sleeved standard deck, some tokens, and your side cards you should be fine. I testing the sentinels out with my sleeve of choice (dragon shield) and had no issues or damage to the sleeves. The magnets will also never come apart on you, they are crazy strong! During the design of the sentinel I actually tested it for MTG extensively at my Magic and Whiskey club. If it holds up to me throwing the box around after tasting 5 whiskeys it will hold up to anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lindsey said:

Hey @prepare4robots ! I'm the MTG player at DMG headquarters and I've been using the sentinel with no issues for my EDH deck. I don't believe you could do double sleeve with EDH but if you are looking to transport a double sleeved standard deck, some tokens, and your side cards you should be fine. I testing the sentinels out with my sleeve of choice (dragon shield) and had no issues or damage to the sleeves. The magnets will also never come apart on you, they are crazy strong! During the design of the sentinel I actually tested it for MTG extensively at my Magic and Whiskey club. If it holds up to me throwing the box around after tasting 5 whiskeys it will hold up to anything. 

Thanks @Lindsey!! What configuration would you recommend? I’ve been going back and fourth between: 1. Card Double top + Card Double bottom (sideboard in the top, maindeck in the bottom, and dice in the sides) or 2. Triple Top + Card Triple bottom (sideboard in one of the triples, maindeck in the other two, dice in the top). 

8 hours ago, prepare4robots said:

Thanks @Lindsey!! What configuration would you recommend? I’ve been going back and fourth between: 1. Card Double top + Card Double bottom (sideboard in the top, maindeck in the bottom, and dice in the sides) or 2. Triple Top + Card Triple bottom (sideboard in one of the triples, maindeck in the other two, dice in the top). 

I was using the Card Double top and the card triple bottom. This was mainly because I use little gems as my counters and needed to fit an entire EDH deck in. The Triple top and Triple bottom is probably better if you use multiple dice for your counters and having a pen handy for tournaments is also nice. Also keep in mind that if you get the Sentinel and are for any reason at all unhappy with it we'll give you a full refund or help you send it back to get different interiors. When you order feel free to send @Zoe an email letting her know you double sleeve and want to avoid damage to your sleeves. She'll make a note in the order to make sure we sand everything as much as possible to keep any extra friction from happening. 

Thanks again @Lindsey!! Last question for you (hopefully), will the bowls in the Five Bowl Interior Top fit D6s and D20s from the Wooden Dice collection when closed? Thinking about getting a Maple Sentinel and Wooden Dice :)  

Edited by prepare4robots
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:34 AM, prepare4robots said:

Thanks again @Lindsey!! Last question for you (hopefully), will the bowls in the Five Bowl Interior Top fit D6s and D20s from the Wooden Dice collection when closed? Thinking about getting a Maple Sentinel and Wooden Dice :)  

Oooh good question. Let me get @Konas in here because he knows the measurements of all those things really well. 

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:34 AM, prepare4robots said:

Unfortunately, the bowls are meant for tokens and are 0.75" deep, not big enough for dice. Any of the other top interiors excluding the 'bowls', i.e. ones with wells, are large enough to fit dice. Hope that helps.