Sign in to follow this  
tgpumpkin

Games you regret NOT backing on kickstarter

So many of us use Kickstarter to back games before they’re released.  The question is what games did you either back and pull out or ALMOST backed but didn’t that you regretted afterwards?

right now for me there are 3:

Root

Rise of Tribes

Rise of Moloch

simply put....I didn’t have the funds and needed to ease up on kickstarting.  The fact that they all start with the letter R is likely a coincidence :) 

I regret that I DID back Darkness Sabotage, and the campaign ran real late and then went dark.  It looked like it would be a fun game, so I went all in (including the art book).  At this point, it's doubtful it will see the light of day.  It really bugs me that they just go dark.  I get that they ran out of money, but they have a responsibility to tell us they ran out of money, and what the next steps might be.  Maybe release a scaled down version.

Only one I can think of is 7th Continent - but I did get in on the late pledge for that.

Most of the time, I am usually fine with picking a game up afterwards if I was 'on the border' about whether to back it or not.  So very little in the way of regretting not getting KS prices.

Posted (edited)

There were a number of games I wanted but budget held me back.

• The Island of El Dorado
  • Animal Adventures
  • Fantastic Factories
  • Trickerion
  • Vast
  • Heroes of Land, Air, & Sea  (If I was rich, I would buy this in a heartbeat)
  • Herbacecous Sprouts
  • Exo
  • Rice Dice
  • Robin Hood and the Merry Men  (Still tempted to get this one before its delivered)
  • Endeavor: Age of Sail
  • Gentes Duluxified
  • Dwar7s Winter
  • Obession (I sooooo wanted this one)
  • Brass (looked cool but cost 2 much for both. )
  • Legends of Sleepy Hollow (miniatures look great)
  • Alexandria
  • Vindication (formerly Epoch)
  • Minerva
  • Santorini  (was almost, sooooo almost my first Kickstarter ever)
Edited by RomyCat

Posted (edited)

As you can see, I might back a lot of Kickstarters but there is a bunch more I let go, though I like them.  We teachers live on a limited budget.

Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RomyCat said:

• Animal Adventures
  • Fantastic Factories
  • Trickerion
  • Vast
  • Herbacecous Sprouts
  • Exo
  • Rice Dice
  • Robin Hood and the Merry Men  (Still tempted to get this one before its delivered)
  • Gentes Duluxified
  • Dwar7s Winter
  • Alexandria
  • Minerva

Oooh! I didn't back it either, but I just played Vast a few weeks ago and it's a ton of fun. Definitely worth a buy when you get the chance :D. It's on my 'to buy' list too, was borrowing it from a friend, but now they live too far away to mooch off of...

• Like 1

I guess I should clarify that I've been going with @tgpumpkin's original question of pulled out or almost backed.

There have been games that I didn't learn about until the KS was over that I wish I had known about (Mutant Meeples, Gloomhaven, etc) but I wasn't counting those since I never had the opportunity to back them.

18 hours ago, RomyCat said:

• Animal Adventures
  • Fantastic Factories
  • Trickerion
  • Vast
  • Herbacecous Sprouts
  • Exo
  • Rice Dice
  • Gentes Duluxified
  • Dwar7s Winter
  • Alexandria
  • Minerva

Good list.  I think I would join you on heroes of land, air, and sea if I was rich as well.  It's open on the pm right now for all but honestly I don't have close to $200 to spend for just 1 game.

I mean okay, I've done that in the past but I am genuinely trying to scale back from doing that.  :) 

The transgressions of missing Rise of Tribes and Root are now hereby corrected after gencon :) 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

The transgressions of missing Rise of Tribes and Root are now hereby corrected after gencon :) 

I haven't played Root, but I love Rise of Tribes. Where you able to pick up the Deluxe version at Gencon or only the retail version?

YOU GUYSSSSS.

It turns out one of our Viking Lumberjacks grew up with the artist of Root (and Vast), so... I bought Root & the expansion, got them autographed, and then our Viking Lumberjack also purchased Vast. (So we've got a shop copy of Vast for ya now @Rosie!)

I'm still working out the rules for Root (everyone's rules are suuuuper different, so I don't feel confident about playing correctly until I learn each faction's rules) but it looks amazingly adorable and I'm super in love with it already. It's kind of Euro-y, worker-placement-y, but very unique.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zoe said:

YOU GUYSSSSS.

It turns out one of our Viking Lumberjacks grew up with the artist of Root (and Vast), so... I bought Root & the expansion, got them autographed, and then our Viking Lumberjack also purchased Vast. (So we've got a shop copy of Vast for ya now @Rosie!)

I'm still working out the rules for Root (everyone's rules are suuuuper different, so I don't feel confident about playing correctly until I learn each faction's rules) but it looks amazingly adorable and I'm super in love with it already. It's kind of Euro-y, worker-placement-y, but very unique.

I KNOW!!!!!!  It's blown my mind because I've been involved in some of their KS affairs as well and so when I see the two worlds merging in pictures with Leder, Kyle, and Jeremiah in front of Dogmight storefront I was like AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Kyle was the one who first told me via Twitter.  WORLDS COLLIDING!!!!!!!

Sadly, I forgot to get a pin from them and am waiting on Root base game from preorder even though I still have the expansion now.  Can't wait :) 

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2018 at 10:02 AM, RomyCat said:

I haven't played Root, but I love Rise of Tribes. Where you able to pick up the Deluxe version at Gencon or only the retail version?

I got the Deluxe edition fortunately.  I was so giddy when I saw it being sold.  I LOVE the fact it fits into the box.

So I had to pay a little more than KS but I'm very fortunate I could pick it up a year later with everything :) Same goes with Root :) 

@Konas I will say those sabertooth rolling trays were amazing looking from RoT KS.  You guys hit it out of the park with those.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

@Konas I will say those sabertooth rolling trays were amazing looking from RoT KS.  You guys hit it out of the park with those.

Wow, those are really cool! I like the d6 holders in the ring around the outside.

• Like 1