Sign in to follow this  
Zoxe

GENCON 2018!!

Here's a public service announcement!*

GENCON STARTS THURSDAY.  In case you forgot, hah.

Dog Might Games will be in booth 1941.  That's a few rows from where they were last year - more towards the center of the hall and a lot further "back."  If you can't find them, look up - all the rows are numbered from 100 to 3000.

(Now, I just need to get through 3 days of work.  I was going to cut out early on Wednesday, but the twerps scheduled me to deliver a briefing that starts at 3:15 and runs until 4pm!  Gah! The humanity! The travesty!  Don't they know it's Gencon week??)

*Zoxe is not employed by DMG, he just really enjoys GenCon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wish so much I could go. Instead, I must head to work tomorrow. Summer is over and its back to school for us teachers. Students start next Monday.

For those going to Gencon, I hope you have a blast. Play/buy lots of games.

12 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Wish so much I could go. Instead, I must head to work tomorrow. Summer is over and its back to school for us teachers. Students start next Monday.

For those going to Gencon, I hope you have a blast. Play/buy lots of games.

That's a real early start to school.  Not until after Labor Day up here.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

That's a real early start to school.  Not until after Labor Day up here.

We usually start on Aug 1. This time it is July 31, the earliest I have ever seen it.

1 minute ago, RomyCat said:

We usually start on Aug 1. This time it is July 31, the earliest I have ever seen it.

No wonder your students are so cranky.

• Haha 2

Sure has been quiet these past few days.

So the question is if that is because the DMG crew is gone at GenCon -- or because a bunch of Barkers are at GenCon?

3 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

Sure has been quiet these past few days.

So the question is if that is because the DMG crew is gone at GenCon -- or because a bunch of Barkers are at GenCon?

I don't know, but I think it stinks.

My excuse is that school started this week. That means no posting in the daytime. And there will be some very late nights working such as Thursday was open house, meaning I had to be at school until 6 pm. Our new principal was nice enough to let us come to work at 10 am that day to make up for working late. Once the students start coming next week, I will have to be at work by 7 am every day. I hate getting up early. I miss summer already.  :S

• Like 1

Super busy. My head hit the pillow last night at 1:45am. DmG booth has been busy when we've checked in. Thursday we shopped and yesterday we demod and played. Today had been a day of floating aound.  Full recap to follow!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Super busy. My head hit the pillow last night at 1:45am. DmG booth has been busy when we've checked in. Thursday we shopped and yesterday we demod and played. Today had been a day of floating aound.  Full recap to follow!

Rest up!

Hey guys I was in New Mexico and then San Diego, but I’m back in forumland till Thursday! Super jealous of Gencon attendees, but I can hold it back to be excited for reports of how awesome it is. 

So I went to my first gencon and....I was completely overwhelmed lol.  It’s okay though because I was only there for a day and my main purpose was to scout and pick up a few things.  I’ve learned the following things from my pains as a rookie.

1). Plan ahead and pick events close to each other-  I was inefficient with my time because I kept traveling back and forth and lost key demo time.  I need to plan my days out better and make sure I do things close together before moving to another section.

2) you can never have enough water-  I read the tips for water and brought 3 bottles but that wasn’t enough.  Apparently the aura of gamers has an energy that slowly dehydrates you resulting in -1 penalties to energy and hydration levels every 15 mins.

3)the curse of FOMO on your wallet is real-  I thing I was good for the most part....but I had to hold myself back on the hard sale.  Ever dell was a big temptation that I avoided but rise of tribes caught me :) .  Always good to remind yourself that fomo is a sales tactic most of the time.  

4) gencon is crazy but can be a lot of fun.  It got too busy at times and I was sad I missed out in being able to connect with people more often but it’s a lot of fun and I’m hoping to go all 4 days next year and bring some massive gourdian style with it :)

The Loot:  

B703BC00-4CF2-405D-BA10-E83C2D607D1D.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

So I went to my first gencon and....I was completely overwhelmed lol.  It’s okay though because I was only there for a day and my main purpose was to scout and pick up a few things.  I’ve learned the following things from my pains as a rookie.

1). Plan ahead and pick events close to each other-  I was inefficient with my time because I kept traveling back and forth and lost key demo time.  I need to plan my days out better and make sure I do things close together before moving to another section.

2) you can never have enough water-  I read the tips for water and brought 3 bottles but that wasn’t enough.  Apparently the aura of gamers has an energy that slowly dehydrates you resulting in -1 penalties to energy and hydration levels every 15 mins.

3)the curse of FOMO on your wallet is real-  I thing I was good for the most part....but I had to hold myself back on the hard sale.  Ever dell was a big temptation that I avoided but rise of tribes caught me :) .  Always good to remind yourself that fomo is a sales tactic most of the time.  

4) gencon is crazy but can be a lot of fun.  It got too busy at times and I was sad I missed out in being able to connect with people more often but it’s a lot of fun and I’m hoping to go all 4 days next year and bring some massive gourdian style with it :)

The Loot:  

B703BC00-4CF2-405D-BA10-E83C2D607D1D.jpeg

I kept looking out for you but didn't spot you!

We had a great GenCon.  Friends from out of town, a big group dinner with too many margaritas, late night gaming (well, 'late' by our definition, hah), some really fun demos, and yes - much acquired loot.  We did the Q&A with the keynote authors - James S.A. Corey of the Expanse series and got front row.  Separately got them to sign some books.  

I am in a rush this morning - I need to leave for the office in an hour and then will be away on business - but will try to gather my thoughts and post a follow-up later.

I will say that one of the comical events of the weekend was our first visit to the DMG booth.  I spotted Zoe and shouted at her and we chat for awhile.  I then ask about a specific product I meant to look at in person.  She didn't see it in their collection and then called Konas over.  Konas had no reason to recognize me in person - we've met once, almost a year ago - and started into the full-on overview of the Sentinel box.  I'm smiling and nodding along, but over his shoulder, Zoe is horrified.  I lip read from her, "Does he know who you are?" to which I shrug and say "no."

Konas is really getting his momentum now, but Zoe taps him on the shoulder sand says, "Konas... Konas... this is Zoxe."

Konas deflates.  Extends his hand.  "Hi."

"Hi! I'm really sorry, but you were doing so well I didn't want to interrupt you."  I'm pretty sure Konas was mentally wanting to kick me in the shin but he held his composure.

We stopped in several times throughout the weekend, and the booth always looked pretty busy and money was changing hands.  I truly hope DMG had a great 'con and had a safe trip home.  I'm maintaining my Vitamin C regimen this year - maybe this time I won't come down with the 'Con Crud.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I kept looking out for you but didn't spot you!

We had a great GenCon.  Friends from out of town, a big group dinner with too many margaritas, late night gaming (well, 'late' by our definition, hah), some really fun demos, and yes - much acquired loot.  We did the Q&A with the keynote authors - James S.A. Corey of the Expanse series and got front row.  Separately got them to sign some books.  

I am in a rush this morning - I need to leave for the office in an hour and then will be away on business - but will try to gather my thoughts and post a follow-up later.

I will say that one of the comical events of the weekend was our first visit to the DMG booth.  I spotted Zoe and shouted at her and we chat for awhile.  I then ask about a specific product I meant to look at in person.  She didn't see it in their collection and then called Konas over.  Konas had no reason to recognize me in person - we've met once, almost a year ago - and started into the full-on overview of the Sentinel box.  I'm smiling and nodding along, but over his shoulder, Zoe is horrified.  I lip read from her, "Does he know who you are?" to which I shrug and say "no."

Konas is really getting his momentum now, but Zoe taps him on the shoulder sand says, "Konas... Konas... this is Zoxe."

Konas deflates.  Extends his hand.  "Hi."

"Hi! I'm really sorry, but you were doing so well I didn't want to interrupt you."  I'm pretty sure Konas was mentally wanting to kick me in the shin but he held his composure.

We stopped in several times throughout the weekend, and the booth always looked pretty busy and money was changing hands.  I truly hope DMG had a great 'con and had a safe trip home.  I'm maintaining my Vitamin C regimen this year - maybe this time I won't come down with the 'Con Crud.

Noooiiiccceeee....Dont feel bad missing me I was there only for a day And it was a last minute add from an event I was going to this past weekend (smashing pumpkins in Pittsburgh on Saturday).  I’m planning for a 4 day visit in 2019 though so pending a big event you can count me for that.  You doing grandcon?

@Konas recognized me as did @Lindsey from a year ago.  I was so excited to meet the others I hadn’t met before including @Shamgar who talked to me more about his role.  I would have hung out longer but they have a business to run and that has to come first than talking to a gourd they know they have locked as a customer.  I appreciated they spent a little time with me though.

did you post a pic of your loot? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Noooiiiccceeee....Dont feel bad missing me I was there only for a day And it was a last minute add from an event I was going to this past weekend (smashing pumpkins in Pittsburgh on Saturday).  I’m planning for a 4 day visit in 2019 though so pending a big event you can count me for that.  You doing grandcon?

@Konas recognized me as did @Lindsey from a year ago.  I was so excited to meet the others I hadn’t met before including @Shamgar who talked to me more about his role.  I would have hung out longer but they have a business to run and that has to come first than talking to a gourd they know they have locked as a customer.  I appreciated they spent a little time with me though.

did you post a pic of your loot? 

@tgpumpkin I haven't taken pics yet, but will. I did my greatest hits tour and got stuff at Kingdom Death, TTCombat (Dropfleet Commander), Flying Frog (Shadows of Brimstone) and Broken Token.

Honestly, the idea of spreading it out scares me... I have waaay too much to paint and I came home with armloads more. 😉

49 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

@tgpumpkin I haven't taken pics yet, but will. I did my greatest hits tour and got stuff at Kingdom Death, TTCombat (Dropfleet Commander), Flying Frog (Shadows of Brimstone) and Broken Token.

Honestly, the idea of spreading it out scares me... I have waaay too much to paint and I came home with armloads more. 😉

I thought of you when I walked by the kdm booth.  I dare not walked in and be tempted by the $400 monstrosity.  

I meant to go to broken token but didn’t.  Hopefully they’ll be at grandcon again.  

Sunday I got hit from an amazon deal of the day sale for gencant peeps.  Huge list of games on sale.  I pulled the trigger on castles of mad king Ludwig and imperial settlers.  Almost got wasteland express.  

Fortunately no more kickstarters that I know of.  Have to try out my miniature paint kit still but if it catches on I have plenty to paint with zombicide....massive darkness...rise of moloch.  

• Like 1

@Zoxe Definitely interested in seeing what you got at KD:M.  Did you get to try either of the new demos?

@tgpumpkin Come to the darkside of KD:M!  We have cooki...hmm.. no.. we have pumpki....no, not right either.  We have death and destruction! Yes that's what we have at KD:M!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Loved getting a chance for a quick swing through Gen Con. Great meeting @tgpumpkin and delightful (though surprisingly not orange!) family! Also good as always to witness the Dog Might team doing what they do and sharing their goodness with the world. 

Upon return my family, who were more than a little miffed not to be included in this particular work trip, decreed that a 4 day trip to Gen Con should be planned and executed. I did bring them an offering of shiny dice to soften the pain and that seemed to help a bit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

@Zoxe Definitely interested in seeing what you got at KD:M.  Did you get to try either of the new demos?

@tgpumpkin Come to the darkside of KD:M!  We have cooki...hmm.. no.. we have pumpki....no, not right either.  We have death and destruction! Yes that's what we have at KD:M!

Yes, I played through both of the new KDM demos. Both have some really interesting mechanics.

The Black Knight has some smashable terrain and pillars that you bounce off of when the boss throws you. I ran him twice. For gencon this was intentionally overtuned and both runs ended after the 2nd round with lots of grisly deaths.

The screaming god encounter took a long while for us to play. The scenario mimics a footchace as you run after your target. There's a horde of angry antelope stampeding behind you, so if you fall and don't get up you're done. The movement is simulated by sweeping terrain walls past you (6 spaces at the start of each round), which if you run into you get knocked unconscious and get trampled. The whole thing ends up feeling like it's on a conveyor belt and you have to navigate it like Frogger to avoid annihilation. I died gloriously but our group was triumphant.

4 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

I REALLY want KD:M.  I couldn't justify getting it though.  That's okay though....I have a bench and a sunset to reflect on what could have been :) 

• Like 1

And.....we are back. Worked a half day yesterday to catch up a bit but didn't have time to jump on here. I have a fuller then normal inbox and know that a couple of you reached out to me there. I will be responding this afternoon.

Had an AMAZING GenCon. Potentially the best ever. Big things happening that I cannot discuss yet but hopefully soon. Great to see so many of you there. Apologies to @Zoxe again for not recognizing you upon meeting. My memory is crap. Too much lumberjack juice.

Went a little crazy with the purchases this year. One of our biggest hauls ever. The shortlist: Monsterpocalypse, Aristeia, Crystal Clans, lots of minis for Arena Rex, Guild Ball, Hordes, Pathfinder playtest, Vampire V5, L5R beginner box, lots of dice, and a bunch of other stuff. Root the game was a big hit with the crew. So much that I am sure I am forgetting something.

Our crew did an amazing job. @Zoe took the lead on the booth this year so I could hobnob with some other businesses and it worked very well. Hats off to her. She has staved off her daily firing for at least one day.

• Like 5

Welcome back.  It's been dead around here this last week.  Did someone actually buy the Sapphire Stag?

It was awesome seeing you @Konas @Lindsey again and meeting @Shamgar and @Zoe.  I got to meet ANNIE too!!!!!!!!!  Loved seeing you guys and even happier your booth was hopping.

. Big things happening that I cannot discuss yet but hopefully soon.”

*whispers* dusty doooooommmm............

• Like 3

I ACHIEVED PIN QUEEN STATUS YOU GUYS

I was able to participate in some STELLAR trades so I really only paid for one of these pins (the Pachimari Blizzard one). Although to be fair, I got the Root one because I bought the game and the expansion. The rest were free or trades that I was able to execute because of pins that I got at PAX Unplugged or Origins. (In fact, the Vast one I got from a customer who appreciated my help back at Origins!!) There was a girl with a bunch of Pokemon pins going around looking to trade - I got my Raikou, Jirachi, Catpuccino, and the Majora's Mask pins all because of her and her lack of Game of Thrones pins. ;)

As for my loot:
Root + expansion, Before There Were Stars, Scythe: Rise of Fenris (physical copy!!!! not pre-order!!! eeee!), Chessex Vortex set (the blue one with gold), Chessex burgundyish Borealis D20 that was discontinued, Crystal Caste Gen Con 2018 set (green with like gold flakes, love it for a forest or swamp witch), some Blizzard loot (Pachimari pin, Pachimari plush key chain that squeaks, golden Pachimari con exclusive plush, and Ana vinyl figure that I got for free because it didn't have a base... gotta pass that to Jeremiah in the shop still so I can mount it on a spalted tamarind plinth), and finally a lovely print from our artist for Countdown! 😍 Ooh, and a t-shirt that looks like a National Forest sign but it's for Mirkwood. ♥️

PIN QUEEN.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1