Zoxe

Dropfleet Commander

20 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Are we having another toxic relationship moment?

It’s pretty venomous ;) 

24 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

I saw them as I uploaded and wondered if people would notice. 😉 They're pretty cool models, actually. The later Brimstone stuff is really well made.

Fear not @Zoxe @Barb Bliss and I just having pun with each other. :) 

9 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

Fear not @Zoxe @Barb Bliss and I just having pun with each other. :) 

Long day at work skittering about. At least I didn't get stepped on.  Glad to see the puns here are still striking rapid fire. :P

2 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Long day at work skittering about. At least I didn't get stepped on.  Glad to see the puns here are still striking rapid fire. :P

Dare I say at light speed?  Or just cruising along?

On 3/22/2019 at 8:11 AM, Barb Bliss said:

I look forward to seeing them after you complete them.

After a healthy session this morning during Saturday Coffee, I'm in good shape to get the last 3 DFC ships finished today.  I was just eyeballing the Scorpions and think I have a plan of attack.

Three words:  Color shift paint.  :)

I'll try to stage some pictures tomorrow of the entire fleet, but just wanted to timestamp:  I sat down my last brush on the last ship about 45 minutes ago.

(Then I poured a double rye and got pretty mellow).

So, I'm not incredibly happy with these pictures; the light wasn't great, and I found that shooting on my old neoprene mat from X-Wing actually gave me nasty reflections.  But here's what I've got.  I've also spent a good chunk of the day organizing my notes and otherwise getting ready for the six hour (six hour!) narrative event at Adepticon on Thursday, so my mind is also wrapping itself around how these guys will play together on the field.

BRACE YOURSELF FOR PICTURE DUMP....

The whole fleet. Front to back:  Corvettes, Frigates, Light Cruisers, Heavy Cruisers, then in the back are the two Battleships (upper left) and the Battlecruiser (upper right).

20190324_152649.thumb.jpg.823b088ee3f69508e9459f77ec0c627a.jpg

Frigates. DFC has an interesting rule in that not all the ships are on the board at the beginning, and are placed in later turns based on tonnage.  I have a few squads of scrappy frigates and light cruisers to jump on the board in those opening rounds.  

20190324_152700.thumb.jpg.2fa6ac8c7f1c38ed07be23b96c3d3a77.jpg

The Johannesburg-class battlecruiser, decent profile shot of him (though his guns are facing the other way, gah).  Directly behind him is a Moscow-class heavy cruiser.  Both of these ships are gunships, but the big J adds more missile launchers, and more HP.

20190324_152707.thumb.jpg.8fccc578853a867400004c6a31a63d81.jpg

Moscow and another cruiser directly behind.  One concern I have is that the list I built is kind of a kitchen-sink build. I have a LOT of different classes of ships (so much that I'm having trouble remembering the names).  Using all of them to their full potential will probably take more skill than I have.

Interesting thing about the ship behind, though, is that the gun under the chin is called a burn-through laser.  Think of it as a laser pointer crossed with the death star.  In terms of game mechanics, you roll to hit, and if successful, you keep rolling more dice (basically the Captain is saying "Hit! Now POUR IT ON 'EM!").  As dice tend to not be friendly to me, I only have a few of these guns in my line up.

20190324_152714.thumb.jpg.6caa4d48cad6d20bcc9bc01bc2228f28.jpg

Various cruisers.  Upper left is my blue-striped carrier.  The cargo pod on the one in the center is used to drop ships to the surface (hence the name Dropfleet). My other ships will attempt to draw fire and die gloriously to protect this one.  In order to win, players score points by dropping armies into cities and holding them.  My list is admittedly light on Drop and will attempt to win by BSU (blowing [stuff] up).

20190324_152728.thumb.jpg.0384f9e0bab2aa87632ce2e58555831b.jpg

New York class Battleship.  Not a lot of guns but launches waves of missiles and also serves as a carrier.  I experimented with adding ambient light to random carrier bays (I lit different bays on the reverse side).  I hit her with a little more weathering; big hulls like this will have been around awhile.

20190324_152745.thumb.jpg.a31d3cd597d914ee191ed5aec0aededb.jpg

The Beijing-class Battleship.  An unapologetic gunship; direct descendant of WWII heavy iron.  The two battleships will roam as a pack next Thursday, hunting for other capital ships.

20190324_152751.thumb.jpg.294c7c6945a341a32077ff1e196a4759.jpg

Top view.  Each battleship had a launcher that was broken when I received it.  If you look closely you can see where I attempted to simulate battle damage (hint, the New York's damage is on the passenger side nacelle, just under the vent/grate that's shaded brown, the Beijing's is on the driver side nacelle, top row of launchers).

20190324_152810.thumb.jpg.3e8a3b5c7dea6e116180561eddfafc76.jpg

Aft view. I tried to get a picture of the blue engine glows, which I'm happy with, but the lighting wouldn't cooperate.

20190324_152913.thumb.jpg.989bc0037eb9e7e581436d7ba60a9399.jpg

3/4 view showing the hanger bays.  The ships are so long it's impossible to get the entire thing in focus on my camera.

20190324_153029.thumb.jpg.5bd2c6d1b251ec67ba9e07c3326db79b.jpg

Posted (edited)

More dropfleet!

After swearing that the Zoxe Shipyards would be closed for awhile, I fired them back up to kick out several ships for a DFC tourney in early May.  I'm in a good place, stress is low (technically I could just field ships I already had built but wanted to change things up) and the first ships are starting to roll off the assembly line.

Part of the challenge was to try to replicate an existing scheme, remember exactly what colors I used, and in what order.  I took notes, but am finding holes in them.  (It's one thing to run 8 ships through my booth at once, it's another to pick up a ship almost a year later and try to pick apart all the intermediate steps). 

I got pretty close.  In this first pic, the center ship is an existing model.  The two on the outside are the freshly minted sister ships.  

20190420_084501.thumb.jpg.c69b2a1c865f68732df085bc854de64f.jpg

These two electronic warfare frigates were a new class for me, so I had some additional freedom.  I had fun with the radomes (all airbrush work) and then hiccuped while drybrushing silver (noooo!!! 😣) and created a smudge.  I could have repainted that radome, but instead turned it into "battle damage" (which is more convincing at arm's length). 

I can always go in and pick out more details, but they're done for now.

20190420_084544.thumb.jpg.f13ea41807fe9b3962cae2613c3b646c.jpg

Edited by Zoxe

Posted (edited)

This is very WIP, but here's today's efforts. 

Just did basecoating and striping today.  I'm using a technique taught by Miniature Monthly where you apply some colors with a sponge, then put some silicone mould builder over the area (also with a sponge), then basecoat and peel the mould builder back off to reveal the layers beneath.

Usually this is done to simulate rust and mechanical wear.  I'm hoping to turn these chips into blast marks from enemy fire.  Instead of rusty colors, I used some Reaper Burnt Metal (the copper), silver, and a little bit of deep blue.  This is a resin model, and the primer came off in a few places but I can fix.

I'll let this cure for a day or two, then come back and add some streaks, smudge (blast marks) and start on painting the undercarriage.  Most of what you see will remain red, but the lower areas will be a dirty silver.

I'm also going to do a blog post on striping.

20190420_140233.thumb.jpg.258af7103c25b3a176838f24c04c8bb4.jpg

Edited by Zoxe

Thank you @Barb Bliss. 😁

I started adding a few streaks to the chipped areas. Trying to sell it as impacts of large caliber ship to ship combat, not "rust." 

Also started coloring in the undercarriage to confirm that I like the color scheme. Here's current status. I did this side and had to stop for a bit. So many little details and edges. Doing a pair of these ships, so planning to split up the work over the next few days. Will then wash all the silver, highlight, a little dry brush, and do a pass with the airbrush to add some engine soot. Once the silver us basecoated it should go quickly.

20190421_084807.thumb.jpg.ebd3d6cc12752624624befa567233a66.jpg

23 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Thank you @Barb Bliss. 😁

I started adding a few streaks to the chipped areas. Trying to sell it as impacts of large caliber ship to ship combat, not "rust." 

Also started coloring in the undercarriage to confirm that I like the color scheme. Here's current status. I did this side and had to stop for a bit. So many little details and edges. Doing a pair of these ships, so planning to split up the work over the next few days. Will then wash all the silver, highlight, a little dry brush, and do a pass with the airbrush to add some engine soot. Once the silver us basecoated it should go quickly.

20190421_084807.thumb.jpg.ebd3d6cc12752624624befa567233a66.jpg

Ohohohoh I am LOVING this ship. The stripes not being perfectly opaque, but also the damage. My fav so far.

On 4/28/2019 at 9:25 AM, Zoxe said:

All done!  Hooray for Rainy Saturdays!

More in-process pictures and more words here:  https://zoxes.blogspot.com/2019/04/hot-off-desk-dropfleet-commander.html

These guys will hit the table weekend-after-next as part of a tourney.

Oh gawd, looking at the pictures just now I realized I didn't paint the launchers.  Will take me 5 minutes.  Sooo... not done but 99%

20190428_084203.thumb.jpg.ed9cd665cb3dfc618a03cdc33eb482f8.jpg20190428_084348.thumb.jpg.5175005a703af6fea2a6d1aa7166218b.jpg20190428_084237.thumb.jpg.4527078db4af10d93b88ab067a11a110.jpg

Hah. And you thought you were finished! These look great. Your skills are quite admirable. I am jelly. I often think to myself that you are only much better then me because you have an air gun. I know its not true but it is what I tell myself.

4 hours ago, Konas said:

Hah. And you thought you were finished! These look great. Your skills are quite admirable. I am jelly. I often think to myself that you are only much better then me because you have an air gun. I know its not true but it is what I tell myself.

Hah!  I did get them finished.  Wasn't too bad, just too bad I didn't spot it before I took all the pics.

The group here is too kind. Thank you for being supportive. 

I keep saying you need to get an airbrush!  It's not 'instant skill' but does speed up certain steps and open up other techniques.  It's sort of like saying "which is better, an axe or a shovel?"  ... depends what you're trying to do.  

PS:  Correct answer is always "the axe!"  :)

Last dropfleet, at least for a little while. This is the "princess liner."  Apparently you protect her as an npc in some of the scenarios.

A very quick paint job, almost all airbrush work, tackled here and there while I was waiting for other things to cure, and a good excuse to use colors I otherwise wouldn't. The metallics are Scale75 and airbrushed well (tho I find them too thin to hand brush). 

20190505_125109.thumb.jpg.4075729e5ed09d3925c052e172edd265.jpg20190505_124917.thumb.jpg.f703248779aee5ce5a4714bb4769c838.jpg20190505_124929.thumb.jpg.c4b94539a080e61329061b67d5ddba5c.jpg

20190505_124917.jpg

Headed to Champaign IL in a few minutes for my first ever "tournament" for any game.  I've done narrative events over the years in multiple game engines, but have never actually competed at an actual game store.  

We'll play 3 games today.  My goals are few.  Winning any of the games isn't one of the goals.  Mostly, I just want certain ships to do certain things; i.e. the Centurions up top should be out front being a threat and absorbing damage before they die gloriously while the rest of my ships maneuver freely.  Secondly, I find myself liking TTCombat and the vibe around their community; I'm going in part just to support a grassroots campaign to keep the scene active and viable in North America.

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2019 at 8:36 AM, Zoxe said:

Headed to Champaign IL in a few minutes for my first ever "tournament" for any game.  I've done narrative events over the years in multiple game engines, but have never actually competed at an actual game store.  

We'll play 3 games today.  My goals are few.  Winning any of the games isn't one of the goals.  Mostly, I just want certain ships to do certain things; i.e. the Centurions up top should be out front being a threat and absorbing damage before they die gloriously while the rest of my ships maneuver freely.  Secondly, I find myself liking TTCombat and the vibe around their community; I'm going in part just to support a grassroots campaign to keep the scene active and viable in North America.

Yesterday was a good day.  It was a very long day - with universities in the area having commencement, I couldn't get a hotel room and we drove back afterwards.  With timezones lost an hour coming home.  Our 20 year old cat, aka "Mr. Alarm clock" doesn't understand this, so we still got pestered at 5am.   I'd barely been asleep 3 hours at that point.  I'm really dragging today.

TLDR:  I got my butt kicked in the first 2 games, but had a friendly game with the event organizer for the 3rd round and won it.

The format yesterday was 3 games at a relatively new game store.  All three scenarios were different and required different strategy (part of my pull to DFC vs. other games, actually). 

I was paired in my first outing with someone I'd met at Adepticon in passing, so at least had some familiarity with him.  He was a veteran player, and soundly trounced me on scenario points, but I killed a lot of tonnage of his ships and surprised him a few times.  I felt like I held my own even though the score was VERY lopsided.

The event organizer then takes all the scores and pairs people by apparent rank.  There's not a lot of science to this and there were only 8 players, but I was moved to the lowest table.  No shame (although I knew what it meant); I was actually breathing some relief as I thought maybe I'd get another 1st timer and we'd have a good fight and a laugh or two.

Alas, no - I got another veteran player that had a really lousy game in the first round.  We had a friendly game, but he was looking for redemption and I made a couple of small but critical errors in my initial deployment.  By turn 2, I realized it cost me the game.  Hard lesson, but that's why I was there.  In the mean time, I worked on my own private goals and the bright red ships (above) rolled hot and totally made a mess of a couple of his groups.  But, by round 4 he had nearly tabled me - i.e. almost killed all my stuff before time was called.  Victory Points gap was better but still severe.

I was mentally done after this 2nd round.  I was having a good time but the games were intense and my head was hurting from all the math.  I realized I hadn't eaten, had 15 minutes to the next start, and scrambled to the Jimmy John's next door for sustenance and stunk up the place with Tuna Salad (#15 Club Tuna!) while they announced the 3rd scenario.

My third round, I didn't change tables (hah) and was paired with the event organizer.  He wasn't there to compete, but we started with 7 and he filled in to make the tables even.  He was distracted (was still running the other 3 tables) and we were goofing around; which I was fine with. 

As we got started, I realized two things (1) His army list was built for a different scenario type, while the scenario favored me.  (2) His list was one that my mine was intended to counter.  Glass cannon vs. Meatshield.

I deployed correctly (learning from earlier mistakes), used my beefy ships to draw fire while my smaller ships positioned, gutted a couple of his specialized ships with my fast movers.  As our main battle groups merged, his ships dished out absurd amounts of damage, but my armor heavy list shrugged it off, annihilated his ships, and moved on.

It. Was. Beautiful.  There are moments in movies where two ww2 fleets merge, there's a lot of smoke and confusion, and only one fleet emerges from the cloud.  That scene played out 3 times across 2 rounds last night, and reading his body language he was a little stunned that the exchange wasn't more even.  "You lived through that?"

Now, I know this game was sort of a gimme.  He wasn't playing his best, and I know the army list he brought was for fun, and he was also trying to help the other 3 tables.  But I also know that he beat another player in the first round, and THAT gentleman went 0 for 3 while I ended the day with a 1-2 record.   I'll take it.

Edit:  Official results posted, I actually came in 5th out of 8.  

Edited by Zoxe