Zoxe

Dropfleet Commander

2 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Maybe you can outsource the tedious engine painting...  Is your wife open to bribery?

Costs would be high. 😉😉

• Haha 1

Here's some work in progress. Engines are all painted and as of a few minutes ago have been shaded/washed.  Next step is to dry brush all the hulls and start picking out some details like the missile launchers.

20190309_090030_001.jpg

20190309_090011.jpg

20190309_090008.jpg

• Like 4

I have arrived on the other side of the weekend with my wits intact!  Not only did I get through the cruisers, I also fixed the brakes on my car, did my taxes, split some firewood, and watched the Shadows of Brimstone campaign wind down in real time.  

Today I came home, did a quick pass on the engine exhaust flares, and declared them functionally done!!!  Tomorrow I'll remove them from the corks and mount them on their permanent stands and try to get the camera to cooperate for some pictures for all y'all.

I actually started assembly on these ships a year ago.  I hit a point on Sunday and said "Soooo... what was the big deal with these guys?"  The way that I did the panel lines was really (really) painful, the engines were fussy but tolerable in 2 sessions, and the rest just kind of fell into place.  I think I kind of built them up as a personal boogeyman, but in hindsight it wasn't worth all the fuss.

Just the 3 capital ships to go. I have a scheme in mind that will get them on the table quickly without sacrificing much quality.

(And should I ever decide to do a show-quality model, I have the Dreadnought in the cabinet awaiting assembly).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I hit a point on Sunday and said "Soooo... what was the big deal with these guys?"  The way that I did the panel lines was really (really) painful, the engines were fussy but tolerable in 2 sessions, and the rest just kind of fell into place.  I think I kind of built them up as a personal boogeyman, but in hindsight it wasn't worth all the fuss.

I'm like that with my basement.  It's so cold down there when I take down the Christmas decoration stuff, that I just dump it in a pile, then that gives me permission to dump other stuff down there like tools, bubble wrap, appliances I rarely  use.  Then it reaches a point I can't stand it anymore, and I wait several months past that before I get things put away because it's so nice out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I have arrived on the other side of the weekend with my wits intact!  Not only did I get through the cruisers, I also fixed the brakes on my car, did my taxes, split some firewood, and watched the Shadows of Brimstone campaign wind down in real time.  

Today I came home, did a quick pass on the engine exhaust flares, and declared them functionally done!!!  Tomorrow I'll remove them from the corks and mount them on their permanent stands and try to get the camera to cooperate for some pictures for all y'all.

I actually started assembly on these ships a year ago.  I hit a point on Sunday and said "Soooo... what was the big deal with these guys?"  The way that I did the panel lines was really (really) painful, the engines were fussy but tolerable in 2 sessions, and the rest just kind of fell into place.  I think I kind of built them up as a personal boogeyman, but in hindsight it wasn't worth all the fuss.

Just the 3 capital ships to go. I have a scheme in mind that will get them on the table quickly without sacrificing much quality.

(And should I ever decide to do a show-quality model, I have the Dreadnought in the cabinet awaiting assembly).

Nice work. Strong attitude as well. Anytime I am facing something daunting, just focusing on the first step is key. I also discuss this with my Head of Production as well. It is an easy job to get overwhelmed by. 

I say this but I am also avoiding working on a Fire Giant mini and an Oni Giant because of nerves. Hah.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I'm like that with my basement.  It's so cold down there when I take down the Christmas decoration stuff, that I just dump it in a pile, then that gives me permission to dump other stuff down there like tools, bubble wrap, appliances I rarely  use.  Then it reaches a point I can't stand it anymore, and I wait several months past that before I get things put away because it's so nice out.

We just started spring cleaning. One room at a time. Reorganizing. Tossing stuff. The garage is last. It is also the repository for stuff we don't know what to do with yet. I am dreading that step already.

8 minutes ago, Konas said:

We just started spring cleaning. One room at a time. Reorganizing. Tossing stuff. The garage is last. It is also the repository for stuff we don't know what to do with yet. I am dreading that step already.

I'd react to that, but well, you know.

• Haha 1

Took last night off for a serious veg out after a long day at work.  Returned to the bench today, found all of the bases and stems, and then pulled all the finished cruisers off of their corks.

Pic 1 - The finished Cruiser fleet.  

20190313_182743.thumb.jpg.7eff91af41c32373186655ab4797c12a.jpg

Pic 2 - The Carrier got blue stripes as an experiment.  I actually really hated the blue until I dry brushed with silver and it looked a lot cleaner.  It stands apart in gameplay and I need to be able to track it on the field.  You can also see the weathering/smudging I did around the launchers and at the vents in the center back.  I hit the Carrier pretty hard with the weathering ink in the back; getting a weird reflection from the camera here but it looks like there was some battle damage/fire.

20190313_182836.thumb.jpg.bceb76a88fd102e99a8a118986ceb8fa.jpg

Pic 3 - Glued to stands.  Hard to take decent pics with the bench light.

20190313_184004.thumb.jpg.cf4732acc0e0d6bbe86e745daccc22e6.jpg

Pic 4 - Those dreaded engines.  Here in the bench light I'm getting a reflection that shows a lot of silver and minimizes the detail / dry brushing of the dark gray undercarriage.

20190313_182901.thumb.jpg.e48d0bb9b6fb3246da740e2c0d953a9b.jpg

Slightly different angle, showing the engine detail, blue glows, and some different perspective on the underbits.

20190313_182858.thumb.jpg.009e0e902430bca8a52912767d9be3b7.jpg

These are far from perfect, but I'll field them proudly at the end of the month in Chicago.

Next Up - the Capital Ships!  Will pick those up and run maybe tomorrow.

Edited by Zoxe
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Took last night off for a serious veg out after a long day at work.  Returned to the bench today, found all of the bases and stems, and then pulled all the finished cruisers off of their corks.

Pic 1 - The finished Cruiser fleet.  

20190313_182743.thumb.jpg.7eff91af41c32373186655ab4797c12a.jpg

Pic 2 - The Carrier got blue stripes as an experiment.  I actually really hated the blue until I dry brushed with silver and it looked a lot cleaner.  It stands apart in gameplay and I need to be able to track it on the field.  You can also see the weathering/smudging I did around the launchers and at the vents in the center back.  I hit the Carrier pretty hard with the weathering ink in the back; getting a weird reflection from the camera here but it looks like there was some battle damage/fire.

20190313_182836.thumb.jpg.bceb76a88fd102e99a8a118986ceb8fa.jpg

Pic 3 - Glued to stands.  Hard to take decent pics with the bench light.

20190313_184004.thumb.jpg.cf4732acc0e0d6bbe86e745daccc22e6.jpg

Pic 4 - Those dreaded engines.  Here in the bench light I'm getting a reflection that shows a lot of silver and minimizes the detail / dry brushing of the dark gray undercarriage.

20190313_182901.thumb.jpg.e48d0bb9b6fb3246da740e2c0d953a9b.jpg

Slightly different angle, showing the engine detail, blue glows, and some different perspective on the underbits.

20190313_182858.thumb.jpg.009e0e902430bca8a52912767d9be3b7.jpg

These are far from perfect, but I'll field them proudly at the end of the month in Chicago.

Next Up - the Capital Ships!  Will pick those up and run maybe tomorrow.

Great work. These look fantastic. Love the weathering. It's just enough.

• Thanks 1

Hard to see with the background clutter, but here's a shot showing the relative scales of these ships.

• Frigate far left was done months ago, a little smaller than a matchbox car.
  • Cruiser center was finished last night.
  • Battleship (right) is bigger than my cell phone.  She was basecoated and given a quick fade months ago, and a thinned coat of reaper black wash was put on tonight to help with panel lines (in this shot the wash was still wet, it'll dull a bit as it dries). 

Tomorrow the fun will start. General plan for the capships:

• I'll need to adjust the colors on the engine nacelles a bit with the airbrush (blue ink); I want the stripes to have a darker background to pop against.
  • Figure out what accent panels should be orange or white, paint accordingly; this will probably be minimal.
  • Add stripes
  • Paint and wash the engines.
  • Basecoat the gun barrels and other doodads
  • Dry brush silver all over
  • Pick out silver bits (launchers, engines)
  • Final weathering and shadowing pass
  • Engine glows

Sounds like a lot, but for a set of 3 ships it's really not that scary. Two of the hulls are almost identical, and the third is actually a Battlecruiser, sized in between the Cruiser and Battleship and a lot simpler in geometry.

20190314_192825.thumb.jpg.3488b04bece8a279544efb2f678a9f4b.jpg

Edited by Zoxe
  • Like 2

Those look cool.  The little ones would drive me crazy trying to tape things.  Just like Goldilocks, the middle one looks just right.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Those look cool.  The little ones would drive me crazy trying to tape things.  Just like Goldilocks, the middle one looks just right.

Thanks!

Taping the Frigates for stripes wasn't too bad and was honestly easier than the Cruisers because it was just the one central hull w/o the gap in between.  They were small but not so tiny that they weren't manageable.  There were 8 Frigates (I think) total, and 6 of the 8 just happened naturally.  The only other tricky part was making sure the tape angles were the same from hull to hull, but I could key off of hull details.  I worked in batches of 2 or 4 - the tape would start to lift off after a few minutes and I wanted to avoid runs, but in hindsight that also helped my sanity.

There was one Frigate configuration (2 ships in my Fleet) with a lot of launchers (tiny bumps) that I tried to tape a couple of times and just threw my hands in the air when the tape wouldn't stick down reliable.  I decided no stripes on them and opted to tape off the central hull and give the Bridge a highlight in the same color as the stripes.  I liked it so well (and it was so easy) that I did it to the rest of the Frigates.

I'm excited for the Capships because the engines will actually show while looking at the ship from above and I think the silver and weathering/soot will make some good contrast with the gray/blue hulls.  All my tedious labor on the cruisers are basically hidden by the hull geometry - and the extra overhang made the engines less fun to paint (had to be a lot more careful).

• Like 1

Weekend status update.  Crossed off means it's done!

• I'll need to adjust the colors on the engine nacelles a bit with the airbrush (blue ink); I want the stripes to have a darker background to pop against.
  • Figure out what accent panels should be orange or white, paint accordingly; this will probably be minimal.
  • Add stripes
  • Paint and wash the engines.
  • Basecoat the gun barrels and other doodads
  • Dry brush silver all over
  • Pick out silver bits (launchers, engines)
  • Final weathering and shadowing pass
  • Engine glows

Several hours invested this weekend. Taking tonight off.  I feel really good about where I'm at.  The detailing pass to paint the orange/white accent panels is one of the most time consuming steps.  Oddly, I don't find it as tedious as other things because it's a very creative process.  I sat down on Saturday and 3 hours just evaporated.  

I will tinker with these through the week, then have the weekend to wrap it all up.  

PS:  Already thinking about next projects. Super stoked to have all this bench space back after having little gray ships everywhere for the past year.  I have things for GenCon that I want to kick off, and Reapercon right after, plus a big backlog of Shadows of Brimstone to turn the crank on.

Edited by Zoxe