Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LuckyIke

The Sapphire Stag

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Mossbloom nodded. "Your direction is sound to me. I've leaped into adventures with far less knowledge. This one sounds too exciting to pass up." She glances across the room, catching the tiefing's eye. Hopefully the other would not mind this side trip. Then she looks slowly around the room at the various guests staying at the inn and the locals who had dropped by for a meal.

In a voice loud enough to be heard several tables away, she said, "I'm going to find that barrow. I'm looking for brave adventurers who would like to join me. Any loot we find, we split equally, except the rings. I claim one for myself. Don't worry, I won't be using it for evil. I know better than putting one of those on. Don't want my soul corrupted--well not more than it already is. But still, I have a proper use for the ring. Anyone interested in coming?"

You can count me in Missy.  What was your name again?  I'm Gnarly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Good to meet ya, Gnarly. Got some fine muscles on you. Farming will do that. I go by Mossbloom. I'm a highly trained rogue. Good at sneaking into places and back out again. Have a few tricks up my sleeves when in combat." Well, at least she felt she was talented. Nisha might disagree with her on that. "Helps to know each person's skill set whose coming. I've got at least one fighter lined up who can take some punishment and deliver some of her own. What are your skills? Every hunted? Can you use a bow or sword?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

(OOC: just wondering, @LuckyIke, if we head out on adventure and exploring, are you taking the role of DM, laying out a scenario like forest scene or dungeon room and we react to it? Example: forest scene, camping, attack by goblins. Players react.  

Or do we all flow alone and make up the story completely. Or is there some other method?

Edited by RomyCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

(OOC: just wondering, @LuckyIke, if we head out on adventure and exploring, are you taking the role of DM, laying out a scenario like forest scene or dungeon room and we react to it? Example: forest scene, camping, attack by goblins. Players react.  

Or do we all flow alone and make up the story completely. Or is there some other method?

(OOC: Good question, @RomyCat. Yes I will take the role of the DM, and will set the scenes up for you guys - I have some NPCs that you may run into as you go along your way ;).  I do have a story arc and a few set pieces I’ve built out, and have some rough ideas for some additional encounters depending on where you guys decide to take things.  That said, I’m undecided if the format better supports pure narrative or if we will incorporate some dice rolling, as DMG did during their Puzz campaign.  What are your preferences as far as format as you all depart the tavern and head off into the unknown? I welcome feedback on that and on any other aspects of things thus far.)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LuckyIke said:

(OOC: Good question, @RomyCat. Yes I will take the role of the DM, and will set the scenes up for you guys - I have some NPCs that you may run into as you go along your way ;).  I do have a story arc and a few set pieces I’ve built out, and have some rough ideas for some additional encounters depending on where you guys decide to take things.  That said, I’m undecided if the format better supports pure narrative or if we will incorporate some dice rolling, as DMG did during their Puzz campaign.  What are your preferences as far as format as you all depart the tavern and head off into the unknown? I welcome feedback on that and on any other aspects of things thus far.)

(OOC:  I'm perfectly find with dice rolling. I'm involved with two Pathfinder adventures right now. Sometimes the dice love me....sometimes not.)

Edited by RomyCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

(OOC: Good question, @RomyCat. Yes I will take the role of the DM, and will set the scenes up for you guys - I have some NPCs that you may run into as you go along your way ;).  I do have a story arc and a few set pieces I’ve built out, and have some rough ideas for some additional encounters depending on where you guys decide to take things.  That said, I’m undecided if the format better supports pure narrative or if we will incorporate some dice rolling, as DMG did during their Puzz campaign.  What are your preferences as far as format as you all depart the tavern and head off into the unknown? I welcome feedback on that and on any other aspects of things thus far.)

OOC: Funny how good people roll when there is no one to see the rolls. 😜

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RomyCat said:

"Good to meet ya, Gnarly. Got some fine muscles on you. Farming will do that. I go by Mossbloom. I'm a highly trained rogue. Good at sneaking into places and back out again. Have a few tricks up my sleeves when in combat." Well, at least she felt she was talented. Nisha might disagree with her on that. "Helps to know each person's skill set whose coming. I've got at least one fighter lined up who can take some punishment and deliver some of her own. What are your skills? Every hunted? Can you use a bow or sword?"

I'm a good hunter/tracker, and handy with a bow.  I haven't used a blade on anything other than game.  I'm not trained in fighting, but I will tell you that if I connect with a punch, the other person is going to go down in a heap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

OOC: Funny how good people roll when there is no one to see the rolls. 😜

I was admistrator of my game forum and it was an option for dice rolling in the comments, don't know if there is available here. :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Aye, you will be a good addiction. I wonder if any others wish to join? Got a few spots open in our party. I'll buy some food and supplies to get us ready. " Mossbloom glanced at others sitting around the tables, wondering who else was coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eyla glanced to Padauk when the announcement of a party was made. "Seems staying away is not what folks had in mind. Perhaps it is worth joining to make sure nothing untoward happens."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WxCougar said:

Eyla glanced to Padauk when the announcement of a party was made. "Seems staying away is not what folks had in mind. Perhaps it is worth joining to make sure nothing untoward happens."

Padauk gives a bit of a chuckle though it doesn’t seem particularly full of mirth. “Well I suppose so.” He mutters under his breath. In a louder tone he calls “ Suppose I could do with a bit of a jaunt.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I can aid as well," Eyla spoke up. Luckily she had most of her supplies for traveling already since she had not planned to stay more than a day or so. Not that she had a destination before now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mossbloom looks over at the others. "Good to have you." For those interested, we leave tomorrow morning shortly after dawn. I got to have my breakfast first.  Make sure you have weapons and food. I bring some extra. There's adventuring to be had."  She grins, excited about what is to come.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the volunteers step forward, the prospective adventurers begin to attract additional attention from the rest of the inn patrons.

”Are those, are those...horns?!” asks Bill Sunderland incredulously, pointing at Nisha.

A startled murmur begins to bubble and fill the room as townsfolk talk amongst themselves in a rising clip.  A plump woman gasps and rushes to the opposite side of the serving hall with her infant.  Chairs scrape against the hardwood floor as some patrons crane their necks for a better view, while others try to hustle away from the tiefling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gnarly had been keeping an eye on the woman with the horns all evening.  Definitely odd looking, but she didn't seem evil at all.  The worst thing she's done so far is talk with the elf, and I just did that too.  Gnarly moved over to Bill Sunderland, and said "So what if she has horns, Buckwheat?  I don't hold your third nipple against you.  Gourd grief man.  Did you ever consider they are just something she has, and not who she is?  And if it is who she is, outing her in this public way is probably not the smartest thing you've ever done."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nisha had been watching Mossbloom carefully with a bad feeling about what she was up too and knew it had  something to do with those rings. When Mossbloom made her invite for anyone to join on her latest adventure it took everything Nisha had to control her temper. 

”Are those, are those...horns?!” Nisha looked over at the guy who has shouted as others backed away form her. She was surprised that with her hood on anyone could tell. Her horns flowed backwards and did not stand up so usually the hood hid them well.

Nisha stood up and pulling her hood back as she walked toward the man. Though to most it seemed her eyes never left the man's face, she took in everyone around her.  Nisha was taller than most Tieflings, more the average of a human. She held herself in a way that made others think she feared nothing. People moved quickly out of her way. Stopping in front of the man Nisha said nothing. Just stared into his eyes. It amused her how she could cause so much fear from just looking intently at someone without speaking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mossbloom sighed. Here we go again, she thought to herself. Why do so many have to be racist again tieflings? Then again, many didn't like rogues either. 

Smiling overfriendly, Mossbloom walked towards the confrontation. "There you are, Nisha. I was just organizing a new questing party. You, of course, will be our star fighter. One of the best I have ever seen. Can't have a proper quest without you."

She gave the frighten man a friendly pat. "You can see why we need her, can't you? Don't want to be facing evils in the darkness without a proper fighter or two. Tiefling can see quite well in the dark. Very useful, don't you think?"

Tensely the man looked between the elf and tiefling. "Uh, sure." He slowly began edging away from them while keeping his back protected.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eyla watched the sudden eruption in the normal flow of tavern life cautiously. For her part, what you were didn't make who you were as a person. Watching the tiefling approach the man who called her out, along with the farmer. Then the traveling companion of the tiefling approached as well. Perhaps all would be handled without any sort of physical confrontation. She waited to see, not moving from her seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the man leaving, Nisha turned and stared at Mossbloom. Still she said nothing. Not in an effort to scare Moss, that would be pointless, but because if Nisha said anything to Moss right now she would start yelling. With everyone watching, now was not the time for that.  But she would get an earful later!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The portly innkeep wrung his hands in his apron and cleared his throat hesitantly, “Bill, I uh, reckon it’s about time for you to get back home, from the looks of it you’ve had a bit too much.  Let’s not get things all tangled so as we have to fetch the constable now.”

He eyed Nisha and Mossbloom cautiously, “As for you two, erm, misses.  It would probably be best if you were on your way tonight.”  He swallowed hard, “Yes, probably best.  Can’t say as there’s another inn in town, I’m afraid, but still, no need for things to get out of hand. Mayhaps if you’re lucky you could find a punt barge heading Up Rhill.”

The crowd’s murmur began to die down into hushed mutterings and whispers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

The portly innkeep wrung his hands in his apron and cleared his throat hesitantly, “Bill, I uh, reckon it’s about time for you to get back home, from the looks of it you’ve had a bit too much.  Let’s not get things all tangled so as we have to fetch the constable now.”

He eyed Nisha and Mossbloom cautiously, “As for you two, erm, misses.  It would probably be best if you were on your way tonight.”  He swallowed hard, “Yes, probably best.  Can’t say as there’s another inn in town, I’m afraid, but still, no need for things to get out of hand. Mayhaps if you’re lucky you could find a punt barge heading Up Rhill.”

The crowd’s murmur began to die down into hushed mutterings and whispers.

Gnarly says, I don't have much of a farm house, and it's kind of gone to seed this last month as I brought the crops in, but my barn is large and available for you to rest tonight.  It could easily handle 8 travelers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Padauk squints a little at the commotion to be sure it’s real and upon acknowledging  that he wasn’t hallucinating stands up and wanders toward the tiefling. “Well first an elf and now a tiefling. This tale keeps getting taller by the minute.” he glances at the inns regular patrons “I’ll just be headed out with this lot. It’d be nice to know there won’t be any fuss tonight.” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sleeping in a barn? How dare the innkeeper turn them out. Mossbloom was upset but hid it smoothly.  She gave Gnarly a smile. "Yes, a soft bed of hay will be most welcoming. Keeps my purse from getting lighter." She grabbed her knapsack which was under a table. "I'm ready to go. This inn's service is as delightful as its food. I will remember to mention that to any who ask about the Sapphire Stag."

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eyla stood as well. A barn was just as well as an inn. She preferred sleeping outdoors anyway. All she would need was to fetch her horse and she would have what she needed for a trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×