Sign in to follow this  
Barb Bliss

Holiday Traditions...

My friend John and his wife have a tradition that they've shared with me.   John and Linda live on Lake Owasso in Minnesota, and are the proud owners of a pontoon.  The residents on this lake have a "parade" every 4th of July.  Starting at 9:45 am, boats congregate at the west end of the lake and then proceed around the lake in a semi single file column.  Last year I lost count at over 100 boats.  Many people decorate their boats (my favorite is the pelican dingy that is donning a top hat and a US flag as a cape.  The grand kids in the dingy are waving flags and having a blast).  Residents not on boats like to sit near the shore and wave at the people on the boats as they pass by.  We've been fortunate for quite a while (over a decade) to have acceptable to outstanding weather.  We bring bloody marys and screwdrivers as well as snacks to enjoy.  The first boat in the column is always the same boat.  Most likely the original ring leader.  A woman on that pontoon dresses up as the statue of liberty (including green face paint) and stands at the front of their pontoon, and waves to everyone on shore with great gusto.  When we get back to the starting point, that pontoon stops and Lady Liberty lights her torch (probably about 100 sparklers) and salutes all the boats as they pass her by.  The phone generations probably think we're a bunch of hicks, but it's a great way to spend the morning out on the lake.

• Like 4

Wow, now that is an awesome boat parade. I love the light up Statue of Liberty costume. Would love to see that.

2 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Wow, now that is an awesome boat parade. I love the light up Statue of Liberty costume. Would love to see that.

I'll try to remember to bring my camera (and not drop it in the lake).

That is really cool. There is a boat parade on the Columbia River in one of the nearby towns during Christmas (where they light up the boats), but not for the fourth.

6 hours ago, WxCougar said:

That is really cool. There is a boat parade on the Columbia River in one of the nearby towns during Christmas (where they light up the boats), but not for the fourth.

It would be tough to do a boat parade here at Christmas.  They'd have to bring in an ice breaker.  ?

5 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

It would be tough to do a boat parade here at Christmas.  They'd have to bring in an ice breaker.  ?

I think the Columbia River has only frozen over once in historical record : ).

Happy 4th of July to you all.  I'll be thinking of you while partaking in the parade.  I hope all you Canadians enjoyed Canada Day on Sunday.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Happy 4th of July to you all.  I'll be thinking of you while partaking in the parade.  I hope all you Canadians enjoyed Canada Day on Sunday.

At home, nice thunderstorms and heavy rain lol :) 

Happy July 4th!

Somewhere around 15 years ago - maybe closer to 17 now - I started a family tradition of hosting my immediate family at my house.  At the time, Mrs. Zoxe and I were just getting started out, one brother was still in high school, another in college, and my parents were both working to pay those bills.  My brothers always had plans with their friends so we planed our "July 4th" party for the weekend after and never actually on the day.  That's always left Mrs. Zoxe and I open on the actual day. 

Fast forward to 2018 - they're all married. There are grandkids, and now my mom and dad are retired.  My brothers are now pulling "dad duty" and all their friends are married with kids too, so we actually could do the BBQ on the 4th but that's not the tradition.  

So today, I slept in, have some coffee going, will fry an egg for breakfast and then I'll start airbrushing some minis. :)

• Like 2

I'm just about ready to head out the door.  I took some recycling out and it just sucks out.  Frickin' dewpoint of 75.  Thank God I'll be on the lake, but I can foreseeing ditching early in the afternoon for my beloved AC.  

image.png.e80f9562007df23cd0652859e4c5231d.png