Konas

New Stuff Coming Out of the Wood Shop

Here’s what I worked on today for Maker’s Day! 

B8965663-B2C4-49E8-95D3-73F15B25A715.thumb.jpeg.d2f9f4da7c1554b5f28fc54c3d0375fa.jpegA0FCDB99-7049-4B88-8DDB-8E9BA18A5AA6.thumb.jpeg.2ee869a367299e78818e97829976b7d5.jpeg

Hand for size comparison. I spent a LOOOONG time sanding these, but it was super fun. I brought them home to finish sanding over the weekend, and will have them sprayed on Monday. I used the laser to cut out the shapes which made it easier, but gave me a lot more sanding to do.

For my first time making wooden earrings I’d say it’s not too shabby at all! I’m excited to see what I’ll be able to do with more practice.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:29 AM, Zoxe said:

@Konas if a Cherry 3 pack were to appear, I'd probably be interested.  Our hobby room is on the 1st floor, with 2 large windows. While I can store out of direct light, I'm always worried about light fade on some of the nicer woods.

I don't know about cherry but I do have an amazing waterfall Bubinga and a live edge walnut coming. And a tamarind double. I'll see if I can find a sweet piece of cherry but it probably wont be done until Friday. I am really enjoying making these. I think it is a very cool way to have some killer wood get used. I used mine all weekend, a live edge Kingwood Double, and it was wonderful. 

5 minutes ago, Konas said:

I don't know about cherry but I do have an amazing waterfall Bubinga and a live edge walnut coming. And a tamarind double. I'll see if I can find a sweet piece of cherry but it probably wont be done until Friday. I am really enjoying making these. I think it is a very cool way to have some killer wood get used. I used mine all weekend, a live edge Kingwood Double, and it was wonderful. 

A nice consolation prize given the zirocote base found a new home on Friday.  When you have time (yeah, right???), can you share a picture of your kingwood base?

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

A nice consolation prize given the zirocote base found a new home on Friday.  When you have time (yeah, right???), can you share a picture of your kingwood base?

Working on getting some pics transferred here now.

My painting desk is terribly messy. You can also see the abundance of minis I choose to work on at once. Damn ADHD. 😃

IMG_20200208_131602292.jpg

1 minute ago, Konas said:

My painting desk is terribly messy. You can also see the abundance of minis I choose to work on at once. Damn ADHD. 😃

IMG_20200208_131602292.jpg

Kind of an ebony and ivory thing you got going there. 😀

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

Kind of an ebony and ivory thing you got going there. 😀

Go together in perfect harmony.

Side by side.....

Just now, Konas said:

Go together in perfect harmony.

Side by side.....

Great.  Now I'll never get that tune out of my head...

Played Zombicide again over the weekend. Love having at least some of the minis painted for it while playing. Very proud of the bases that, hopefully, meld right into the map.

IMG_20200201_181702046.jpg

Great.  Now I'll never get that tune out of my head...

I blame you.

1 minute ago, Konas said:

Played Zombicide again over the weekend. Love having at least some of the minis painted for it while playing. Very proud of the bases that, hopefully, meld right into the map.

IMG_20200201_181702046.jpg

I really enjoy(ed) playing with my painted minis in Massive Darkness.  I'm looking forward to playing Grimm Forest now that I got that game painted up.

7 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I really enjoy(ed) playing with my painted minis in Massive Darkness.  I'm looking forward to playing Grimm Forest now that I got that game painted up.

Cool. I really need to get my airbrush working so I can speed paint the zombies in Zombicide. No way in hell am I hand painting all of them.

We created some really cool screens for B. Dave Walters and some streams he is working on. One is Vampire themed. One is dragon! Vampire is set in Miami, hence the palm tree.

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5190.JPG

Some cool bases coming through. This is a glimpse of the first 3. Some cool Bolivian Rosewood and another live edge walnut coming through later today. What wood is the base in number 2?

IMG_5195.JPG

IMG_5199.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

I really dig how the mix of the routed edge and the live edge make the base feel like something ancient.

IMG_5201.JPG

7 minutes ago, Konas said:

Some cool bases coming through. This is a glimpse of the first 3. Some cool Bolivian Rosewood and another live edge walnut coming through later today. What wood is the base in number 2?

IMG_5195.JPG

IMG_5199.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

Chechen?

10 minutes ago, Konas said:

I really dig how the mix of the routed edge and the live edge make the base feel like something ancient.

IMG_5201.JPG

That IS a very pretty piece of walnut.

2 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

That IS a very pretty piece of walnut.

The one coming out later is nicer.

But would you get it anywhere near your painting?

I would.