Konas

New Stuff Coming Out of the Wood Shop

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

When I have the time to make my own screen, I think it will be something like this.

1573584194_IMG_2439.jpg

That is quite pretty. I do love the plain wood screens, but there are also so many cool sculpts!

1 minute ago, Thomas Browne said:

You're just trying to convince @tgpumpkin to become a GM :D

Everyone should be a GM at least once. 

Just now, Konas said:

Been there, done that.. suck at it.

Actually I love the idea of creating the world and characters.

But then the players do something I entirely don't expect - and I'm like "WTF do I do now?!"

Just now, Thomas Browne said:

But then the players do something I entirely don't expect - and I'm like "WTF do I do now?!"

This is pretty much my GM life, lol. I have learned to expect that players will NEVER do anything expected.

4 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

Yeah, that's the hardest part. It helps if you know the system well enough to be able to do things on the fly. I always also have a few back pocket encounters I can throw in at almost any place. It helps buy some time to think of how to get it back on track.

21 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

You're just trying to convince @tgpumpkin to become a GM :D

you forgot the add on "so he will finally buy one of those screens he keeps whining he wants"

:D 

21 hours ago, Konas said:

I know it's not GMing, but one of the things the kids love that I do in Arkham Horror (card game) is when I read the flavor text I usually do it in a narrated acting voice.  It annoys the hell out of my wife.  My kids love it for the narration and because it annoys the hell out of their mom.  It's great :D 

12 minutes ago, GhostChopper said:

NEVER!!!

Coward! You'd be good at it.

2 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

I know it's not GMing, but one of the things the kids love that I do in Arkham Horror (card game) is when I read the flavor text I usually do it in a narrated acting voice.  It annoys the hell out of my wife.  My kids love it for the narration and because it annoys the hell out of their mom.  It's great :D 

Ah, you sir, are halfway there already.

If you want to try it out, try doing something like this with your kids. Come up with a basic plot idea, something like break into a cave and steal a magic chalice from a dragon. Ask your kids what kind of hero they want to be, anything at all. Then just narrate them going through a few rooms. No character sheets or stats, just pure narration. Have them roll a d6 if they want to do something extremely risky. On a 5 or 6 it works. All you have to do is give them obstacles and see how they overcome them. Great for car rides as well.

10 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

you forgot the add on "so he will finally buy one of those screens he keeps whining he wants"

:D 

Well that was definitely the implication.  A nice custom pumpkin sculpt screen in spalty or padauk?

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

If you want to try it out, try doing something like this with your kids. Come up with a basic plot idea, something like break into a cave and steal a magic chalice from a dragon. Ask your kids what kind of hero they want to be, anything at all. Then just narrate them going through a few rooms. No character sheets or stats, just pure narration. Have them roll a d6 if they want to do something extremely risky. On a 5 or 6 it works. All you have to do is give them obstacles and see how they overcome them. Great for car rides as well.

I've tried this various times to varying degrees of success. With kids, it's great and super easy, just go way over the top. I have also tried it with people in their 50s with no experience just to show them what an RPG is like. Some liked it, my brothers and their wives, some just didn't get it, a girlfriend's parents. Fun either way.

Well that was definitely the implication.  A nice custom pumpkin sculpt screen in spalty or padauk?

@tgpumpkin If I build this, will you GM a game? 😋

21 hours ago, Konas said:

To be honest - it's been decades since I've tried to GM anything.

Last FTF game I GM'd would have been back with either 2nd Ed D&D or 3rd Ed Champions.

Last game at all I tried to GM would have been an online forum game - systemless set in Firefly universe.

To be honest - it's been decades since I've tried to GM anything.

Last FTF game I GM'd would have been back with either 2nd Ed D&D or 3rd Ed Champions.

Last game at all I tried to GM would have been an online forum game - systemless set in Firefly universe.

It's just like riding a bike....

What's FTF?

1 minute ago, Konas said:

What's FTF?

google is your friend.  😉  First to find.

Edited by Barb Bliss

Just now, Konas said:

What's FTF?

Sorry - FTF = Face to Face.

Basically a term we used on the forum for 'live' games as opposed to ones that were played on the site.

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

google is your friend.  😉

As I have said before - NEVER trust it when someone tells you 'just google it' :D

Ah, gaming in the car. So much fun lol. We were traveling over the mountain pass from Seattle and got stuck in traffic for a few hours. We happened to have Munchkin in the car.  Cup holders make good impromptu dice rolling trays.

19 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

Sorry - FTF = Face to Face.

Basically a term we used on the forum for 'live' games as opposed to ones that were played on the site.

Ah. It's the IRL before there was an IRL

1 hour ago, Konas said:

Coward! You'd be good at it.

I’m a stress ball. I was part of a D&D group couple years back. I was still learning the ropes when the guy who set up the group said it was mandatory for everyone in the group to DM and that I was up...so I left the group and didn’t pick it back up until my partner started a group. I stress out enough just playing a character, I couldn’t imagine running a world.  I got mad respect for people who do. 

2 hours ago, Konas said:

What I just heard is that @Konas wants to watch my kids some night.

They can call you Uncle Konas.....