Sign in to follow this  
Lindsey

The Death of Netrunner

Image result for netrunner

On the 8th of June Fantasy Flight Announced the discontinuing of Netrunner, marking the end of an era. For the last 6 years Netrunner has proven the LCG format can work and offered players a completely new gameplay experience. The cult following Netrunner has earned is no small thing and the community was completely caught of guard by the announcement. Our own @Zoe was a dedicated player who is still coming to terms (sometimes loudly in the office) with the sudden ending. Many other Dog Might team members play various Fantasy Flight LCGs and lunches here often consist of the speculation on whether the other card games are safe from the same fate. 

Tons of speculation is floating around about what happened and which company decided to pull the licensing agreement. Some of the speculation speaks to a total reboot of Netrunner online or it going back to its CCG roots. I'm curios to know what you think is happening and for anyone who's part of the FF organized community do you think it's for the betterment of the other games or is a sign of harder times to come?

Here's the article about the announcement

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/8/jacking-out/

Here's an article about how much Netrunner meant to its players

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/14/netrunner-took-over-my-life-and-why-it-should-take-over-yours-too

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

😭😭😭

I don't know what the heck is going on. I never participated in any tournaments or anything (although very much thought about it just for funsies), but I did hold my boyfriend hostage for 8-12 hours to play with me over and over and over again. I'm a huge huge huge cyberpunk nerd, so Netrunner was THE DREAM for me in a sea of medieval & fantasy card games. I mean, it's a card game where you hack a giant corporation! Or defend as a giant corp from a hacker!!! IT'S THE BEST.

Ughhhh it was so good and so cool! I'M SO UPSET. ohfsddkslfjsdkl

I'm worried that it'll be rebooted as a TCG like Magic. I refuse to get into TCGs - I'm super not into the idea of having to buy random packs to hopefully get a good enough card to defeat your opponent, instead of everybody having equal access to decks and trying to build the best one based on who you're playing against, etc. I much prefer LCGs. If it doesn't remain an LCG, I'll be enormously heartbroken and feel kiiiinda betrayed, lmao! I'm probably not alone in that feeling in the community.

What boggles my mind is that it's not like it wasn't doing well. It's got another expansion coming out despite its cancellation. I think a lot of people are still going to play until there's a replacement. I don't know if formal tournaments will continue, but I imagine some FLGSs will still host games.

sad season 4 GIF

• Like 1
  • Sad 1