Sign in to follow this  
Konas

Best Con Story

So, I was at Origins this year but the tragic tale I am about to tell has left me broken hearted. Many of you have heard, or seen in person, my massive hammer made of Bubinga and Jatoba. I made it over 3 years ago and it has gone to every convention with us since. I have had MANY people offer me money for it. I believe the highest was around $1200. I could never bring myself to take any of them. At every con we would have con goers raise the mighty hammer above their heads and yell "Dog Might" as loud as they could. It brought a ton of energy and just the right amount of Dog Might-ness to our booth. Even the people at GAMA loved its presence. Little did I know that Origins 2018 would result in the mighty hammer's demise.

A man with his wife and child walked into the booth. Upon seeing the mighty weapon, the man asked Cameron if he could hold it. Cameron said, "Go ahead, check it out." The dude picked up the hammer...pulled it back over his head and smashed it to the ground with a mighty swing. It was described to me as a full on weapon strike. The hammer burst into pieces and boomed loudly. Every other booth around ours went silent as everyone looked on in silence. Pieces of the hammer went everywhere. @Zoe found some as they packed up the booth.

It was a sad day for DMG. The hammering person did offer to pay for it, but we declined. The hammer meant more to us than any amount of money. She will be missed.

I shall make another, and it will be grand but won't hold the same place in my heart as the original. Please, take a moment of silence, at your leisure for my deceased Huge Ass Hammer.

Feel free to relay your best con story in this thread. They all need not be of the tragic nature.

scot.jpg

• Sad 8

WTF was this guy thinking? "Can I hold it" is not the same as "Can I smash it into the convention floor?"  Even if no one thought it would break - the sound itself would have been rude to the rest of the convention go-ers and exhibitors.

You are nicer than I would have been - I'd have fleeced him for everything he had.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

WTF was this guy thinking? "Can I hold it" is not the same as "Can I smash it into the convention floor?"  Even if no one thought it would break - the sound itself would have been rude to the rest of the convention go-ers and exhibitors.

You are nicer than I would have been - I'd have fleeced him for everything he had.

I wouldn't have been that nice either.  I would have asked him if he had considered he'd create flying shrapnel that could have killed his kid or someone else let alone break something that was obviously not meant to withstand being slammed into the floor? 

Makes me sad that I will never see the legendary hammer in person. Only hear of tales and see pictures of its adventures.

Posted (edited)

Wow, such a sad tale. I can't believe he did that.  Some people act without thinking.  At least he offered to pay for it. 

You will have to post pictures of your new hammer. I have seen a DMG hammer at the end of some Dice Tower videos. Awesome that Tom is using one of yours in some of his videos. 

Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Browne said:

You should take all the broken pieces and give it a proper Viking Lumberjack funeral pyre

I have the original handle and it will be part of the next one!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

I have the original handle and it will be part of the next one!

You need to come up with idiot proof handling instructions too.

14 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

You need to come up with idiot proof handling instructions too.

First - there is no such thing as idiot proof unfortunately.

I think it would be easier to come up with "idiot handling instructions" (preferably one that involves using a Big Ass Hammer :D )

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Browne said:

First - there is no such thing as idiot proof unfortunately.

I think it would be easier to come up with "idiot handling instructions" (preferably one that involves using a Big Ass Hammer :D )

And this is why I don't have a job involving "customer service" :D

• Like 1

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that.  That’s so disheartening.  I am glad to hear you will incorporate the handle into the new one. 

The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying,
Valhalla, I am coming!”

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, Thomas Browne said:

The noise scared the crap out of everyone. I was in the middle of a demo for Countdown and I had to start the game over because I couldn't pull myself back together. 

• Sad 2