I do a lot of solo gaming and am always on the lookout for a good solo game. I decided to start this topic to talk about the games I think are great...or not so great....as solo plays.  Let me know if there are any solo games you like or any you come across you think I should take a look at. 

One Deck Dugeon

One Deck Dungeon is created specifically for solo play (you can add a second player, but it does not really focus on that). The player starts on the first floor of a dungeon and works their way down to the third floor to face one of the bosses. Along the way you level up, collect item, potions, etc. There are different levels of difficulty depending on which monster dungeon you attempt of explore. 

I really like One Deck Dungeon. Most games are made for multi play and solo might be added as an afterthought,  losing some of its depth when played solo. Since Chris Cieslik designed One Deck Dungeon for solo, it does not have this problem. After defeating a monster and acquiring their card you can turn that card into abilities, experience, items or potions. I like that each card has so many uses depending how you turn and place them. This game stands out not just because it was created for solo play but because all the characters are female. I know some guys have had a problem with this. But there are so many games with all/mostly male leads, I think it's awesome there is one with all females. 

Even for people who are not solo players, I think they could enjoy this game. It's such a complete game you don't miss having a friend playing along.

556402051_OneDeckDungeon.thumb.jpg.da36fe4b108528323cfe14766273d786.jpg

This picture is of One deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows which can be played as a stand alone or an expansion. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zenithsplendor said:

One Deck Dugeon

One Deck Dungeon is created specifically for solo play (you can add a second player, but it does not really focus on that). The player starts on the first floor of a dungeon and works their way down to the third floor to face one of the bosses. Along the way you level up, collect item, potions, etc. There are different levels of difficulty depending on which monster dungeon you attempt of explore. 

I really like One Deck Dungeon. Most games are made for multi play and solo might be added as an afterthought,  losing some of its depth when played solo. Since Chris Cieslik designed One Deck Dungeon for solo, it does not have this problem. After defeating a monster and acquiring their card you can turn that card into abilities, experience, items or potions. I like that each card has so many uses depending how you turn and place them. This game stands out not just because it was created for solo play but because all the characters are female. I know some guys have had a problem with this. But there are so many games with all/mostly male leads, I think it's awesome there is one with all females. 

Even for people who are not solo players, I think they could enjoy this game. It's such a complete game you don't miss having a friend playing along.

556402051_OneDeckDungeon.thumb.jpg.da36fe4b108528323cfe14766273d786.jpg

This picture is of One deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows which can be played as a stand alone or an expansion. 

I enjoy this game. I've only played the base game, not the expansion/stand-alone version. It is very enjoyable. You hit some of the key features I like: cards with multipurpose, all female heroes (dress decently), and great artwork.  I like how your character gets more powerful as she levels up, preparing for the boss fight on the final level of the dungeon. 

Shakespeare

In Shakespeare, players are theater managers who must hire actors and craftsmen for a show where the queen will be attending. The costumes must be perfect and the stage magnificent. You have six days with one dress rehearsal to get ready for the biggest moment of your career. And don't forget to pay the workers or it won't matter how good the performance looks.

Shakespeare (with the expansion Back Stage) is one of my all time favorite games. Having taken a Shakespeare class in collage and enjoyed it, this game interested me. I will admit the directions were a bit confusing but once I figured out how to play the fun started. I have played this game so many times with @RomyCat, but I am happy to say that I also enjoy it solo. The only negative about solo is your goal, which is to simply get the highest score possible. I prefer when solo games have a more complex winning goal. That being said, the scoring in this game is not what I focus on when playing (When playing solo that is. When against others I want a high score). I just enjoy the challenge of tying to have the best dressed actors, craftsmen, props......and paying everyone. 

Shakespeare.thumb.jpg.4a9bd8ba8342e605beabc1b92d7abef3.jpg

2066054956_Shakespeare2.thumb.jpg.110d549d4fa20a38a6b651985491d9f9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoy Shakespeare too. The expansion Backstage really added to the game, making every decision you make vital. How many workers do you hire? Can you pay all of them? Who will wear costumes? Will you please the queen and go for completing her private goals? What should your backstage workers be doing? 

Great decisions, great tension. Lots of fun. Awesome theme. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 10:28 PM, Zenithsplendor said:

Shakespeare

In Shakespeare, players are theater managers who must hire actors and craftsmen for a show where the queen will be attending. The costumes must be perfect and the stage magnificent. You have six days with one dress rehearsal to get ready for the biggest moment of your career. And don't forget to pay the workers or it won't matter how good the performance looks.

Shakespeare (with the expansion Back Stage) is one of my all time favorite games. Having taken a Shakespeare class in collage and enjoyed it, this game interested me. I will admit the directions were a bit confusing but once I figured out how to play the fun started. I have played this game so many times with @RomyCat, but I am happy to say that I also enjoy it solo. The only negative about solo is your goal, which is to simply get the highest score possible. I prefer when solo games have a more complex winning goal. That being said, the scoring in this game is not what I focus on when playing (When playing solo that is. When against others I want a high score). I just enjoy the challenge of tying to have the best dressed actors, craftsmen, props......and paying everyone. 

Shakespeare.thumb.jpg.4a9bd8ba8342e605beabc1b92d7abef3.jpg

2066054956_Shakespeare2.thumb.jpg.110d549d4fa20a38a6b651985491d9f9.jpg

Oooh!! Having been a stagehand in the past, I.. really want this now.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Oooh!! Having been a stagehand in the past, I.. really want this now.

I may have to look this up for a very similar reason.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, Zenithsplendor said:

I do a lot of solo gaming and am always on the lookout for a good solo game. I decided to start this topic to talk about the games I think are great...or not so great....as solo plays.  Let me know if there are any solo games you like or any you come across you think I should take a look at. 

The Arkham Horror Card Game is AWESOME and can be played solo. I haven't played it that way yet, but I am absolutely in love with this game and recommend it highly!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Konas said:

The Arkham Horror Card Game is AWESOME and can be played solo. I haven't played it that way yet, but I am absolutely in love with this game and recommend it highly!

I have not played Arkham Horror before but I hear so much about it. I really do need to check it out.

2 minutes ago, Zenithsplendor said:

I have not played Arkham Horror before but I hear so much about it. I really do need to check it out.

Same.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Zenithsplendor said:

Haven't played the card game but have played the board game. Will definitely be checking out the card game.

Edited by WxCougar

16 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

Haven't played tye card game but have played the board game. Will definitely be checking out the card game.

Excellent. @Lindsey and I are a little obsessed with it right now! If you get it and want any advice, hit us up.

• Like 1

Yah we have a serious problem and the Team Covenant subscriptions are not helping. 

1 hour ago, Konas said:

Excellent. @Lindsey and I are a little obsessed with it right now! If you get it and want any advice, hit us up.

Will do.

My gaming is primarily solo, so I can weigh in with a nice little list here. 

Terraforming Mars

Scythe

The Gallerist

Explorers of the North Sea

Raiders of the North Sea

Legendary Encounters: Alien 

Vinhos

Zombicide Black Plague and Green Horde

Viticulture

Caverna

Le Havre

Anachrony

• Like 2

Teraforming Mars and Viticulture are two of my all time favorite games played solo or with others. I have played Caverna solo a number of times and would recommend it to anyone who likes solo gaming. Have Scythe but have not tried it solo yet, will need to do that soon. @Adam, of all those on your list, which are your top three?

On 7/12/2018 at 3:01 PM, Adam said:

My gaming is primarily solo, so I can weigh in with a nice little list here. 

Terraforming Mars

Scythe

The Gallerist

Explorers of the North Sea

Raiders of the North Sea

Legendary Encounters: Alien 

Vinhos

Zombicide Black Plague and Green Horde

Viticulture

Caverna

Le Havre

Anachrony

I bought and tried Le Havre about five times, trying to figure it out strategies.  There just weren't enough moves to set up a strategy.  You had to also basically memorize what everyone else's cards as well as your own to do more than slog through the rounds.  I ended up giving it away.  It's right down there with Carr* as games I never want to play again.