Posted (edited)

I'm currently on a quest to overhaul our gaming alcove.  We have a family gathering in a couple of weeks, and I need to free up space and make things tidy before our 3- and 4-year old nieces descend upon our abode.  So, I'm spending my Sunday afternoon assembling our new Besta chest/organizerThis is not as exciting as it sounds!

Background:  Besta is a modular line at Ikea that lets you customize the result. It's primarily intended for TV/entertainment centers but we found a pre-config'd setup that will fit our gaming alcove perfectly and allow us to centralize all the various boxes and unassembled models that we have stashed around the house. 

Hellquest, Chapter 1:  I really detest box stores, but a few weeks ago we took a deep breath and braved the local Ikea to get actual eyeballs on the items.  In and out of the store as quickly as possible, before I failed a sanity roll when dealing with the SUV Soccer Mom Mafia (SSMM) that inhabits the suburban tundra around the Ikea mecca (*shakes angry fist at SSMM*).  Anyway, with the valuable intel we needed, we retreated to our laptops to min/max the strategy (actual build configuration of the modular items) from the safety of our own country stronghold.  Then, for $29, had it all delivered to the house last week.  

It was $29 well spent to have someone else collect all the bits and then hump them to my front door. 

Hellquest, Chapter 2: But ... the problem with the modular stuff is that there is currently a HUGE pile of boxes in our entryway.   Each bit has its own SKU, and came in its own packaging, with its own instructions.   Now instead of facing mortal combat with the SSMM, I am staring down a huge puzzle quest with many possible false steps bearing mortal danger and shredded faux-plywood.  I've hauled the biggest boxes upstairs and have been picking through them.  So far, so good.

Pics to follow, but at present I have 3 of the 4 "backbone" pieces assembled, minus doors, and will probably take a break for a stamina potion (rye whisky) after the 4th is done.

Edited by Zoxe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think you may need to roll a D20 for survival check. Hopefully you have a high intelligence and strength mods or it may take a long time figuring it out. Perhaps you could always high a dwarf for backup. 

Alas, there is a storyline complication.  One of the SKUs is missing from my packup - apparently the GM involved noticed my smugness masked as praise when I bragged about the $29 delivery solution and decided I needed a wrinkle to keep things too straightforward.  I've been through the mountain of cardboard from top to bottom, and the promised 6 boxes of hinge hardware are missing. 

Without a replacement, I cannot complete the Hellquest and therefore must complete this side quest to allow further progress.  My only alternative is to call upon the Ikea High Command and demand compensation for this outrage.

Or if that doesn't work, begging will ensue.

Initial backbone is done.  I started to attach the legs, but needed an assist from Mrs. Zoxe who was pursuing her own task/loot this afternoon.  Then I got sidetracked by opening the rest of the boxes looking for the hinge hardware packs.  Once the legs are installed, there will be just enough room for some storage on top before you encounter the angled ceiling in the area.

Current wait on Ikea High Command phone support is 64 minutes (!!).  I discontinued seeking an audience at present and will regroup and press again later.

20180610_161553.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I'm currently on a quest to overhaul our gaming alcove.  We have a family gathering in a couple of weeks, and I need to free up space and make things tidy before our 3- and 4-year old nieces descend upon our abode.  So, I'm spending my Sunday afternoon assembling our new Besta chest/organizerThis is not as exciting as it sounds!

Background:  Besta is a modular line at Ikea that lets you customize the result. It's primarily intended for TV/entertainment centers but we found a pre-config'd setup that will fit our gaming alcove perfectly and allow us to centralize all the various boxes and unassembled models that we have stashed around the house. 

Hellquest, Chapter 1:  I really detest box stores, but a few weeks ago we took a deep breath and braved the local Ikea to get actual eyeballs on the items.  In and out of the store as quickly as possible, before I failed a sanity roll when dealing with the SUV Soccer Mom Mafia (SSMM) that inhabits the suburban tundra around the Ikea mecca (*shakes angry fist at SSMM*).  Anyway, with the valuable intel we needed, we retreated to our laptops to min/max the strategy (actual build configuration of the modular items) from the safety of our own country stronghold.  Then, for $29, had it all delivered to the house last week.  

It was $29 well spent to have someone else collect all the bits and then hump them to my front door. 

Hellquest, Chapter 2: But ... the problem with the modular stuff is that there is currently a HUGE pile of boxes in our entryway.   Each bit has its own SKU, and came in its own packaging, with its own instructions.   Now instead of facing mortal combat with the SSMM, I am staring down a huge puzzle quest with many possible false steps bearing mortal danger and shredded faux-plywood.  I've hauled the biggest boxes upstairs and have been picking through them.  So far, so good.

Pics to follow, but at present I have 3 of the 4 "backbone" pieces assembled, minus doors, and will probably take a break for a stamina potion (rye whisky) after the 4th is done.

Boxes are an excellent weed deterrent.  Superior to weed "cloth".  Lay them down on the ground where you want no weeds, and cover them with enough mulch to keep them from blowing away. 

41 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Boxes are an excellent weed deterrent.  Superior to weed "cloth".  Lay them down on the ground where you want no weeds, and cover them with enough mulch to keep them from blowing away. 

That's interesting.  As much as we order from Amazon, I could carpet my lawn in cardboard and mulch the whole thing. :P

Just hung up the phone from Ikea High Command.  Total duration: 2 hrs, 5 minutes.  I think I can recite the hold messages verbatim now.  Replacement hardware will be at my door by this time next week, which will give me a few days to finish assembly before the gang arrives.

• Like 2

Excellent progress you are making. The final product will be of suprerior quality. Splended space for displaying your remarkable collection of games. 

• Like 1

Ikea is an excellent place to descend into madness! The hardest thing on bestas might be getting the doors nicely aligned. And keep in mind that you’ve saved yourself some hassle by using legs instead of wall mounting. Are you securing yours to the wall since you’ll be having small people visiting? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Alas, there is a storyline complication.  One of the SKUs is missing from my packup - apparently the GM involved noticed my smugness masked as praise when I bragged about the $29 delivery solution and decided I needed a wrinkle to keep things too straightforward.  I've been through the mountain of cardboard from top to bottom, and the promised 6 boxes of hinge hardware are missing. 

Without a replacement, I cannot complete the Hellquest and therefore must complete this side quest to allow further progress.  My only alternative is to call upon the Ikea High Command and demand compensation for this outrage.

Or if that doesn't work, begging will ensue.

Time to form a raid party to assault High Command? :D

It was a close thing, but I am here to report that negotiations with Ikea High Command were fruitful, allowing evil to be vanquished.  

I was a little nervous, because I didn't actually get any shipping info for the missing hardware until Friday.  But it arrived at my doorstep by 9am Saturday.  We were outbound to a family commitment but it was nice to have the missing pieces in hand.

Today after other chores, I steadied my nerves and went to install the doors.  This was mostly straightfoward, and I was able to assembly-line a lot of it, but it all went well.  I did have one hiccup that caused me to de-install all the doors and put them back on but otherwise things went well with actually very few adjustments.  I'll let things settle overnight and then see if I need to square-up anything.

The upper areas will become the home for my KDM and SoB collections, and Mrs. Zoxe's Super Dungeon Explore.  The lower areas will likely be crammed with all sorts of games, although presently it's hiding my KDM Wave 2 boxes and Gloomhaven.  I've not secured to the wall yet, but will - not sure if we want it along that wall or in the opposite corner.  

The pictures make it look smaller than it actually is.  Total width is just under 6 feet - the KDM Phoenix standing guard is one of my largest figures with a 12" wingspan.

The gaming surface was a $99 clearance find at our local Mendards.  It's 53 x 40 and enough room to play most anything.  

20180617_135329.thumb.jpg.a77090ea0de32f574d7b58ab0b2a9b09.jpg20180617_135344.thumb.jpg.0936ada75bda7c270c8248ce31d9529b.jpg

Now, back to town to find solace at the local public house and await our next adventure.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I have ever only put doors once on a thing. It's always a two-round process as one inevitably puts them on upside down or some other strange way that forces you to do it twice.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

I don't think I have ever only put doors once on a thing. It's always a two-round process as one inevitably puts them on upside down or some other strange way that forces you to do it twice.

I was vague on this in my story because I wasn't sure how to explain it.  

Although I thought the hinge hardware was secured when I fastened it into the pockets in the doors, they weren't actually seated fully into the round pocket in the door.  It looked weird when I installed it, because there was a gap all the way around the mounting plate and the door.  I fussed with it a bit, and the screws were very tight, so I shrugged and moved on.  Later on, I actually had to remove one of the top doors to get the glass shelves to slide in, and when I loosened the hinge hardware I actually saw the hardware pop into place (where I thought it should have been to begin with).  So, all the doors came back off and then reinstalled properly.

• Like 1