Sign in to follow this  
RomyCat

Board games you regret buying

Posted (edited)

Inspired by @tgpumpkin, I was inspired to post this thread.

What games  do you regret buying? Do you still have them in your collection or have they "disappeared"?

Do you back games on Kickstarter you wished you had passed on?

Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 1

I regret buying Viking on Board. Got it super cheap on Amazon despite bad reviews. It was a beautiful game with great components.  Game play was based far more on luck than strategy. With just me and Zenith playing, we were constantly having to back-stab each other, stealing each other's boats. Not the play style we enjoy. Love to sell or give my copy away.

One Night Ultimate Alien I got through Kickstarter.  My family has liked two other games in the series. When we sat down to play this one, we discovered that it requires four players--not three like the others we had played.  I had to place the game back on the shelf unplayed--where is still rest. Maybe one day I will actually get a chance to play it. 

7 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I regret buying Viking on Board. Got it super cheap on Amazon despite bad reviews. It was a beautiful game with great components.  Game play was based far more on luck than strategy. With just me and Zenith playing, we were constantly having to back-stab each other, stealing each other's boats. Not the play style we enjoy. Love to sell or give my copy away.

One Night Ultimate Alien I got through Kickstarter.  My family has liked two other games in the series. When we sat down to play this one, we discovered that it requires four players--not three like the others we had played.  I had to place the game back on the shelf unplayed--where is still rest. Maybe one day I will actually get a chance to play it. 

I donate "bad games" to the local coffee stores and libraries.

7 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Inspired by @tgpumpkin, I was inspired to post this thread.

What games  do you regret buying? Do you still have them in your collection or have they "disappeared"?

Do you back games on Kickstarter you wished you had passed on?

I already named buying too many Dominion expansions as a regret.  Realistically I think a dominion fan needs only 2 maybe 3.  

i might add Caverna to that list.  It’s highly ranked (which is why I got it) but doesn’t hit the table.  I even bought the organizer so certain it would be a hit.  Maybe I should bring it out a few more times to see if it catches on.

The Red Dragon Inn.  I didn't realize how cut throat the game is.  I usually don't do well with cut throat as people seem to have fun ganging up on me.  Harmless, little ol' me.  I prefer games where there is a goal, and you build towards that goal.  First one there wins.  It only took reading the rule book before I realized this was a game I will never play.  It's sitting on the pile of games to donate, having never been played.

@tgpumpkin  I'd definitely try to get Caverna out again.  It IS a very good game, although it is long for some people's tastes.

I am one of those people who never regrets buying a game -- even if I end up not liking it or whatever, I have always considered it worth the cost to try the game.

The nearest thing I have to a regret is backing the Myth: Journeyman kickstarter.  I enjoy Myth.. and so went in heavily on the KS, only to have the KS drag on and on and on.  Got the base expansions, but 3 years and still waiting on stretch goals and add-ons.  Supposedly should get the printed material stretch goals this year.  Whether I ever see the minis and add-ons I purchased, I put at about a 50-50.

1 hour ago, tgpumpkin said:

I already named buying too many Dominion expansions as a regret.  Realistically I think a dominion fan needs only 2 maybe 3.  

i might add Caverna to that list.  It’s highly ranked (which is why I got it) but doesn’t hit the table.  I even bought the organizer so certain it would be a hit.  Maybe I should bring it out a few more times to see if it catches on.

Not like Caverna?  But it has pumpkins in it!  🎃

My sister and I actually like Caverna along with Agricola. Personally I like Caverna better due to its more forgiving with the hunger and you can send your dwarfs on quests.   I will admit, though, that neither game gets played so much any more. We now own Feast for Odin and both LOVE it. It takes the tile concept from Patchwork and Cottage Garden and combines it with feeding your vikings from Caverna and Agricola. Yet it plays like none of his other games. Its a meaty, brilliant euro that is a blast to play every time. Questing concept is built in as you can send your vikings out to raid, hunt, or trade. While you still must feed your vikings, there are plenty of ways to get food so you don't starve.  I personally think Feast for Odin takes Uwe Rosenberg's best concepts and combines them in the perfect format for an awesome game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Not like Caverna?  But it has pumpkins in it!  🎃

My sister and I actually like Caverna along with Agricola. Personally I like Caverna better due to its more forgiving with the hunger and you can send your dwarfs on quests.   I will admit, though, that neither game gets played so much any more. We now own Feast for Odin and both LOVE it. It takes the tile concept from Patchwork and Cottage Garden and combines it with feeding your vikings from Caverna and Agricola. Yet it plays like none of his other games. Its a meaty, brilliant euro that is a blast to play every time. Questing concept is built in as you can send your vikings out to raid, hunt, or trade. While you still must feed your vikings, there are plenty of ways to get food so you don't starve.  I personally think Feast for Odin takes Uwe Rosenberg's best concepts and combines them in the perfect format for an awesome game.

Well clearly that's the reason why I bought it ;)

It's quite possible that the rules were confusing and we didn't get the engine which always has an impact on enjoyability of course.  I haven't given up on it but do need a new opportunity to get it to the table.

After all, any game with pumpkins clearly is destined to be a top 100 BGG game :) 

4 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Well clearly that's the reason why I bought it ;)

It's quite possible that the rules were confusing and we didn't get the engine which always has an impact on enjoyability of course.  I haven't given up on it but do need a new opportunity to get it to the table.

After all, any game with pumpkins clearly is destined to be a top 100 BGG game :) 

You can play the game solo.  That way, you can get use to the rules before teaching the game to your family.  And you will have an advantage of knowing more strategy than them. 

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

The Red Dragon Inn.  I didn't realize how cut throat the game is.  I usually don't do well with cut throat as people seem to have fun ganging up on me.  Harmless, little ol' me.  I prefer games where there is a goal, and you build towards that goal.  First one there wins.  It only took reading the rule book before I realized this was a game I will never play.  It's sitting on the pile of games to donate, having never been played.

That's sad to hear. I really enjoy Red Dragon Inn, but can definitely see how its not going to be for everyone.

I don't really have any games that I regret buying at this stage. I have bought a few RPG rule books for a few different systems that I will probably never play but I at least have the ability to snag ideas from both of them for other games or whenever I ever get the courage to write my own adventure.

52 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

That's sad to hear. I really enjoy Red Dragon Inn, but can definitely see how its not going to be for everyone.

I don't really have any games that I regret buying at this stage. I have bought a few RPG rule books for a few different systems that I will probably never play but I at least have the ability to snag ideas from both of them for other games or whenever I ever get the courage to write my own adventure.

The one I have is "6 - Villians".  If you want it, shoot me a message with your address.  God knows I have enough boxes and bubble wrap to last a lifetime.

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

The one I have is "6 - Villians".  If you want it, shoot me a message with your address.  God knows I have enough boxes and bubble wrap to last a lifetime.

The joys of bubble wrap :).  Thanks for the offer, but I actually just picked up that one a week or so ago.

I'll repost and expand:

This might be heresy, but I'm going to say Descent 2E.  The game is fine and has earned its status for good reason.  But for us - I got the 2E box, played through a couple of times, went big on some of the expansions and addon figs.  I bought Shadows of Brimstone shortly after, and all the Descent stuff beyond the core box is still in shrink wrap.  "Regret" is a strong word; I like and respect the title but found that other games worked better for us.  I probably won't invest in a 1vMany format game again.

13 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

I'll repost and expand:

This might be heresy, but I'm going to say Descent 2E.  The game is fine and has earned its status for good reason.  But for us - I got the 2E box, played through a couple of times, went big on some of the expansions and addon figs.  I bought Shadows of Brimstone shortly after, and all the Descent stuff beyond the core box is still in shrink wrap.  "Regret" is a strong word; I like and respect the title but found that other games worked better for us.  I probably won't invest in a 1vMany format game again.

I sort of had that issue with its predecessor Imperial Assault. Bought it with a few character expansions.  We played nine games, at first having a blast. I loved playing as the Imperials. Zenith played two rebellion characters. Trouble was, when you play with only two characters, there is a special rule that each character can have a 2nd turn than normal, therefore getting two move actions version my one. By the time we finished nine games, we realized all Zenith had to do was dash through the levels without pausing and my large armies could barely touch her. Several times I pulled out Darth Vador, got one swap out of him with his lightsaber, then she had dashed off with my best character not having a chance to catch up again for another hit. I only won one game out of nine and that was the first game. 

We kept saying we will play again with the rebels having to use 3 or 4 characters, but we never got back to the game. Been sitting on the shelf maybe two years unplayed since then.

On 6/1/2018 at 7:23 PM, RomyCat said:

I sort of had that issue with its predecessor Imperial Assault. Bought it with a few character expansions.  We played nine games, at first having a blast. I loved playing as the Imperials. Zenith played two rebellion characters. Trouble was, when you play with only two characters, there is a special rule that each character can have a 2nd turn than normal, therefore getting two move actions version my one. By the time we finished nine games, we realized all Zenith had to do was dash through the levels without pausing and my large armies could barely touch her. Several times I pulled out Darth Vador, got one swap out of him with his lightsaber, then she had dashed off with my best character not having a chance to catch up again for another hit. I only won one game out of nine and that was the first game. 

We kept saying we will play again with the rebels having to use 3 or 4 characters, but we never got back to the game. Been sitting on the shelf maybe two years unplayed since then.

I've looked at Imperial Assault as well. I'm a SW kid from the 80s, and I love all the figures, but our experiences with Descent, mixed with the hyper-competitive X-Wing scene kind of tainted it.   

And to be clear, I think Descent is a wonderful game, it was just a bad fit and bad timing for us.  I should have added this background:  as I mentioned in the other thread, we started with some lighter games.  Once it became clear that spending hours a night on the PC wasn't working for me, I went to a particular gencon wanting to demo some of the dungeony games. 

On the first day, we had a demo of Descent 2E at the FF booth.  The 2E core boxes were in short supply and I couldn't find one at the show, so I bought one on Amazon that night after we got done on the convention floor.  We continued through the rest of the weekend and I tried other games, including Shadows of Brimstone.  It was far more expensive and I had already spent a lot so I resisted.  But on the final Sunday, Mrs. Zoxe decided to get a Super Dungeon Explore bundle from the Soda Pop booth, and my willpower snapped and I grabbed a SoB core and 1st expansion from the Flying Frog booth.

SoB fit us a lot better, and even though we would go on to give Descent a fair try, it was kind of doomed from the start.

I have read somewhere that there's a companion app for Descent that gives the monsters AI to allow 2 players to run characters against "the computer."  I've meant to dig it out, but honestly our experiences so far with Gloomhaven kind of scratch that fantasy itch.