Sign in to follow this  
Zenithsplendor

What Board Games Pulled You Into Gaming?

As a kid, we played a home-made version of Aggravation.  Great-grandpa made 2 boards out of old countertop and a hand drill.  My mom played on the boards when she was little, and I played with my uncle and cousins in my early teen years.  When grandpa passed away, mom got 1 of the 2 boards and we continue to play on them during holiday events.  A few years back, I cloned them out of plywood and passed them out to my immediate family to keep the tradition going.

We also played Sequence with the family in my late high school and early college years.  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2375/sequence

I took a 15 year break from board games and played MMOs (Warcraft, EVE Online, Guild Wars 2) but have developed a bad shoulder that keeps me from PC gaming.  But I can  paint, and I can play board games.  Then attended a game night at a friends' house and played 7 Wonders and watched a game of Space Hulk and was hooked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zoxe said:

As a kid, we played a home-made version of Aggravation.  Great-grandpa made 2 boards out of old countertop and a hand drill.  My mom played on the boards when she was little, and I played with my uncle and cousins in my early teen years.  When grandpa passed away, mom got 1 of the 2 boards and we continue to play on them during holiday events.  A few years back, I cloned them out of plywood and passed them out to my immediate family to keep the tradition going.

We also played Sequence with the family in my late high school and early college years.  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2375/sequence

I took a 15 year break from board games and played MMOs (Warcraft, EVE Online, Guild Wars 2) but have developed a bad shoulder that keeps me from PC gaming.  But I can  paint, and I can play board games.  Then attended a game night at a friends' house and played 7 Wonders and watched a game of Space Hulk and was hooked.

I love Space Hulk! We always made sure to give all our Terminators absurd names and keep track of their kills on a piece of scratch paper.  

4 hours ago, ElysianPeace said:

Gaming started young for traditional board games like stratego, monopoly, life etc but that did give way to video games. D&d and vampire the masquerade were an on and off thing. But when getting back into board games happened and I learned how much variety there was the first game I can remember really grabbing me was gloom. My friends are big into storytelling (every Friday the 13th we get on discord voice chat and tell stories) So with gloom it would kind of become this long running narrative that we’d all alter as we went along! Fantastic time and some of the best gaming experiences I can remember. Hmmmm makes me want to play it again. Been a long time. 

Stratego!  I forgot about that one.  My brother-in-law took his statego very seriously.  When I played him the first time, I put my flag in the 2nd row from the front and right on the edge with a few bombs around it.  I totally confounded him with my stupid logic, and "beat the master".  It was glorious.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Stratego!  I forgot about that one.  My brother-in-law took his statego very seriously.  When I played him the first time, I put my flag in the 2nd row from the front and right on the edge with a few bombs around it.  I totally confounded him with my stupid logic, and "beat the master".  It was glorious.

That is the best! I love weird ploys strategy that confound logic. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 10:20 PM, LuckyIke said:

I love Space Hulk! We always made sure to give all our Terminators absurd names and keep track of their kills on a piece of scratch paper.  

As the newer editions become available I've been tempted to grab it but never have.  The friends that played it are 3 hrs away and have since moved on to other things, and don't think it would get much (any) table time here with our current backlog (Gloomhaven, KDM, Shadows of Brimstone, Arcadia Quest, etc. etc.).  But yes, it's one of those games that I hold in high regard even though I've only over-the-shoulder-played it.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Zenithsplendor said:

Never heard of Admiral before. Is it a fun game?

A 1972 naval battle game where players position the ships of their fleet in order to engage in individual combat and capture of the enemy Admiral to win the game. Not quite a naval version of Stratego--there are significant rule differences like the jumping rule, where you can kill any pieces regardless of the value. The jumping rule forces the players to move carefully. Not like it's a realistic game anyway. What about Stratego is that if a player gained an advantage early on, there was a way for him to win the game regardless of what his opponent did.

I've restored my old game,replaced missing components  with the nice ships now. :) 

Edited by Serge Darveau