Sign in to follow this  
tgpumpkin

HAPPY EINHERJAR (Memorial Day) Everyone, what are you playing/doing this weekend?

33 minutes ago, Serge Darveau said:

Still water is the best place for the mosquitos larva... :( 

The hunting season is coming soon. :) 

1236116863_01(1).jpg.f5eed9d89ed40c739d25b33896eda811.jpgmaringouinabitibi.jpg.21d5fb1b79c4397fdcbd29345c0d073b.jpg

I thought Minnesota had the worst mosquitos.  Then I encountered Montana mosquitos.  They hunt in packs up there, I swear.  

3 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

I thought Minnesota had the worst mosquitos.  Then I encountered Montana mosquitos.  They hunt in packs up there, I swear.  

In the north, summer is short, so they eat twice lol

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LuckyIke said:

They are the Minnesota state bird, though the gnats are the ones that were chewing me up this weekend.

Weird weather yesterday.  Middle of April, and there was a foot of snow on the ground.  Yesterday at 3:00 pm it was 101 degrees at my house.  At 4:00 pm, it was 73 degrees.  Most of the rain side-swiped me, but there was plenty of warnings about flash flooding for my county and 3 adjacent counties.

5 hours ago, Zoe said:

I thought it might be too early in the year still for mosquitoes, but I was a fool.

I am a human tiki torch, by the by. Don't want bug bites? Hang out with me - they'll bite me instead. I promise you.

Usually I douse myself in deep woods spray and then they still bite me somewhere dumb, like inside my ear (I'm not even kidding; can you hear me crying?), so this year I'm going all out. Bought a bunch of those citronella bracelets. Have a nice big citronella bucket candle. Probably gonna grab those citronella belt clips that have like, a little fan in them or something to spray it out around you constantly. We'll see how much any of this helps. Our yard is a breeding ground for little baby mosquitoes because of how easily part of it gathers water, I guess? I don't know? I really have no other explanation for their presence. But it's worse than going on a hike.

I hate them so very much.

Current bite count is modest: 12. (Although the one on the back of my neck could count for about 5 in 1. It's HUGE.)

I would give you a reaction but I'm out.  So I'll try this.  😕  🎯

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Zoe said:

I thought it might be too early in the year still for mosquitoes, but I was a fool.

I am a human tiki torch, by the by. Don't want bug bites? Hang out with me - they'll bite me instead. I promise you.

Usually I douse myself in deep woods spray and then they still bite me somewhere dumb, like inside my ear (I'm not even kidding; can you hear me crying?), so this year I'm going all out. Bought a bunch of those citronella bracelets. Have a nice big citronella bucket candle. Probably gonna grab those citronella belt clips that have like, a little fan in them or something to spray it out around you constantly. We'll see how much any of this helps. Our yard is a breeding ground for little baby mosquitoes because of how easily part of it gathers water, I guess? I don't know? I really have no other explanation for their presence. But it's worse than going on a hike.

I hate them so very much.

Current bite count is modest: 12. (Although the one on the back of my neck could count for about 5 in 1. It's HUGE.)

Yah, it's early but the little bastards are out there already.  I feel your pain. :(

Mom and dad's rear property line is a medium sized river, with a marshy flood plain across on the other bank.  We had MOSQUITOES growing up. 

Where Mrs. Zoxe and I live now, we don't get mosquitoes all that bad - we get deer flies instead. They're far sneakier than the average mosquito...  bloodthirsty little ninjas.  They'll leave a welt the size of a quarter that will get infected and nasty at the center.  Our first summer here, I went out all nonchalant to clear some brush in the middle of the day - didn't see a mosquito the entire time, but the deer fly welts appeared an hour after I came inside, and a day or two later the poison ivy started.  I was miserable and ended up at the doctor to get an assist.

If I am outside for longer than it takes to walk to our detached garage, I'm doused in deep woods OFF, and to avoid poison ivy, I wear long sleeves if working in brush (even when it's 90+) and I have a special basket where all the poison ivy infected clothes go when I come inside (we infected our entire laundry supply once... not pretty).  

When the flies are bad, a cloud of them will follow me around when I mow, and I can hear them bounce off my earmuff hearing protection.  Creepy.

People get all confused when I say I prefer fall and winter.  I just roll my eyes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

The absolute worst mosquitoes I've seen was in Texas.  In August of 2009, arrived there for work a day or three after a tropical storm came ashore at Corpus Christi, with lots of standing water visible from the airplane as we came in to land.  We arrived at the facility the next morning at 5 and noticed the air was shimmering between the rental car and the building... and we were working outside all week.

It was 95+ and high humidity, brutal conditions even in the shade, and I had a cloud of mosquitoes looking for a way to get through the multiple layers of OFF that I was wearing.  At one point I went to the men's room, washed my hands (of course), and had welts on the back of my hands within a few minutes because that one little patch of skin was unexposed.  At another point, I needed to call back to the home office, got on the cell phone and started walking to look for a good signal.  It was high noon, blistering heat, in the middle of an empty parking lot (pavement for a hundred yards in all directions).  And I was getting divebombed.

• Sad 2

Tons of gaming over memorial day weekend for me.  We played keyflower, Gaia project, Voyages of Marco Polo, Lords of waterdeep, code names, and more.  😁

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zoxe said:

The absolute worst mosquitoes I've seen was in Texas.  In August of 2009, arrived there for work a day or three after a tropical storm came ashore at Corpus Christi, with lots of standing water visible from the airplane as we came in to land.  We arrived at the facility the next morning at 5 and noticed the air was shimmering between the rental car and the building... and we were working outside all week.

It was 95+ and high humidity, brutal conditions even in the shade, and I had a cloud of mosquitoes looking for a way to get through the multiple layers of OFF that I was wearing.  At one point I went to the men's room, washed my hands (of course), and had welts on the back of my hands within a few minutes because that one little patch of skin was unexposed.  At another point, I needed to call back to the home office, got on the cell phone and started walking to look for a good signal.  It was high noon, blistering heat, in the middle of an empty parking lot (pavement for a hundred yards in all directions).  And I was getting divebombed.

That sounds like Barb's worst nightmare scenario.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yatescory said:

Tons of gaming over memorial day weekend for me.  We played keyflower, Gaia project, Voyages of Marco Polo, Lords of waterdeep, code names, and more.  😁

I only played on Saturday night.  First game ever of Lords of Hellas.  Some fun minis, but  it didn't wow me.

13 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Yah, it's early but the little bastards are out there already.  I feel your pain. :(

Mom and dad's rear property line is a medium sized river, with a marshy flood plain across on the other bank.  We had MOSQUITOES growing up. 

Where Mrs. Zoxe and I live now, we don't get mosquitoes all that bad - we get deer flies instead. They're far sneakier than the average mosquito...  bloodthirsty little ninjas.  They'll leave a welt the size of a quarter that will get infected and nasty at the center.  Our first summer here, I went out all nonchalant to clear some brush in the middle of the day - didn't see a mosquito the entire time, but the deer fly welts appeared an hour after I came inside, and a day or two later the poison ivy started.  I was miserable and ended up at the doctor to get an assist.

If I am outside for longer than it takes to walk to our detached garage, I'm doused in deep woods OFF, and to avoid poison ivy, I wear long sleeves if working in brush (even when it's 90+) and I have a special basket where all the poison ivy infected clothes go when I come inside (we infected our entire laundry supply once... not pretty).  

When the flies are bad, a cloud of them will follow me around when I mow, and I can hear them bounce off my earmuff hearing protection.  Creepy.

People get all confused when I say I prefer fall and winter.  I just roll my eyes.

OH MY GOSH, THAT'S WHAT THOSE ARE! My dogs keep getting HUGE welts on the inside of their thighs, the poor dears, and I've even found a couple li'l flies hanging out down there that I've had to rip off, so I knew it wasn't skeeters. Oh man. I wonder if the one on the back of my neck is from a deer fly (are these the same as black flies??) or a mosquito, then.

A cloud of either those or baby mosquitoes were following me around this morning.

You understand me...

Especially when it comes to hiking and my preferred dog sports, people think I'm crazy - but winter hiking is infinitely better than sweaty, bug bitey summer hikes. Especially since I got fancy new mittens!!

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Zoe said:

OH MY GOSH, THAT'S WHAT THOSE ARE! My dogs keep getting HUGE welts on the inside of their thighs, the poor dears, and I've even found a couple li'l flies hanging out down there that I've had to rip off, so I knew it wasn't skeeters. Oh man. I wonder if the one on the back of my neck is from a deer fly (are these the same as black flies??) or a mosquito, then.

A cloud of either those or baby mosquitoes were following me around this morning.

You understand me...

Especially when it comes to hiking and my preferred dog sports, people think I'm crazy - but winter hiking is infinitely better than sweaty, bug bitey summer hikes. Especially since I got fancy new mittens!!

Deer flies are nastier than black flies.

Your cloud is probably gnats.  They bite enough to leave blood, and cause big welts to form.  Those buggers deflate relatively soon, but they itch for at least a week.

Edited by Barb Bliss

20 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Deer flies are nastier than black flies.

Your cloud is probably gnats.  They bite enough to leave blood, and cause big welts to form.  Those buggers deflate relatively soon, but they itch for at least a week.

My California upbringing (which was mosquito- & tick-free, as well as mostly poison ivy & poison oak free) did not prepare me for the bugs of the world, honestly. I always figured gnats are just, you know, teeny flies. They don't bite! Apparently I am wrong.

1 hour ago, Zoe said:

My California upbringing (which was mosquito- & tick-free, as well as mostly poison ivy & poison oak free) did not prepare me for the bugs of the world, honestly. I always figured gnats are just, you know, teeny flies. They don't bite! Apparently I am wrong.

Big hunks.  And don't get me started on chiggers.

• Like 1