Konas

Father's Day Product Sneak Peek

As most of you know, we like to make Themed Boxes for Holidays. Well, for Father's Day, we will be going a different direction.

mug1.jpg

mug2.jpg

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Adam said:

Do you have a price point for these?

$85 entry point. Going up to $115 for premium woods. That is an estimate but will be close.

• Thanks 1

Free engraving on the bottom. They will also be bigger than those shots. Those are 12 oz. New ones will be more like 14. We are cutting them now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

SOOOOOO MUCH WINE!

There, I fixed that for you.

:P

• Like 2

As I am a mother, I protest that this was not offered for Mother's Day. I collect mugs and I love gaming. This would have been perfect for me.  There is no upcoming holidays in which I can celebrate myself so I cant justify buying this for myself 😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks cool, but my dad is not a serious gamer. He likes are limited to Carassonne, Catan, and Ticket to Ride. Now I would LOVE a mug like that. Teacher appreciation was two weeks ago....  👩

My question is how well does wood hold liquids?   I presume the varnishing you are using is non-toxic and safe for food.

• Like 1

@Zenithsplendor Insist they get it for you as a late mother's day present!! It's only fair!

@RomyCat Cameron has been testing it out with his Lumberjack Juice these last few days and there certainly aren't any leaks! We have been playing around with what finish to use exactly, depending on appearances, etc., but we are absolutely only using non-toxic, safe-for-consumption stuff. We thought we were going to go with mineral oil like our cutting boards, but I think we'll be using a fully sealing finish instead.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, RomyCat said:

Looks cool, but my dad is not a serious gamer. He likes are limited to Carassonne, Catan, and Ticket to Ride. Now I would LOVE a mug like that. Teacher appreciation was two weeks ago....  👩

My question is how well does wood hold liquids?   I presume the varnishing you are using is non-toxic and safe for food.

We will be using our catalyzed lacquer. It is food safe, as is any wood finish product sold in the US. It is one of the shady secrets of the woodworking world that companies sell "food safe" finishes for wood at a higher price when, in fact, every finish sold is legally required to be so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Konas said:

We will be using our catalyzed lacquer. It is food safe, as is any wood finish product sold in the US. It is one of the shady secrets of the woodworking world that companies sell "food safe" finishes for wood at a higher price when, in fact, every finish sold is legally required to be so.

Excellent point @Konas.  I think the difference is that most people equate "food safe" and "sealed".  They get nervous about wood finishes that still leave the wood porous (and therefore susceptible to staining or absorption of liquid into the wood.

Sort of like with the cutting boards - the mineral oil is food save, but you will get changes as you use them.  I think esp. for mugs, people would be concerned about 'flavors' getting 'stored' in the wood for a non-sealing finish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Konas said:

I vaguely remember this coming up and someone was mentioned as having eaten off their ouroborous tray? Still it’s a good reminder!

2 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

I think esp. for mugs, people would be concerned about 'flavors' getting 'stored' in the wood for a non-sealing finish.

That would sort of limit the fun of the mug. You’d have to stick to water or one kind of beverage only for it! Definitely a concern!

4 minutes ago, ElysianPeace said:

I vaguely remember this coming up and someone was mentioned as having eaten off their ouroborous tray? Still it’s a good reminder!

That would sort of limit the fun of the mug. You’d have to stick to water or one kind of beverage only for it! Definitely a concern!

That's my point.  It's just that most people think "food safe" is equivalent to "sealed" (which it isn't) or even to "dishwasher safe" (which they almost certainly are not).

And so the makes of lacquers and such market to those ideas, even if they are inaccurate.  Because otherwise someone will come along, and sue them saying "they said it was food-safe, but it ruined the finish".  It's much easier to market to people's false perceptions then it is to correct those perceptions.