Barb Bliss

What's your yard look like?

4 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I'm glad the only limbs cut are of the wood variety.  Way too wet to do anything outside today. 

I occasionally checked out my mama duck.  She's always in the same spot.  I did some research.  She's most likely spending 20-23  hours a day on the nest.  When she takes off for some water and food, she covers the eggs with leaves and down to help keep the heat in.  28 days is the typical amount of time before the eggs hatch., so almost 3 more weeks to wait.  The vines are starting to wake up.  I hope they don't go into "steroids mode" until after the chicks hatched.

I hope mama is okay.  We had a similar situation earlier this spring - baby rabbits in the flowerbed.  One of our best mornings was seeing them out of the nest and ready for the big time before we went to work.

We had a surprisingly dry holiday weekend, but paid for it tonight.  Two waves of storms passed through, both pretty serious.  During the second one, I was eyeballing a tree that dropped in our back yard and watched a cloud with rotation pass directly over us at treetop level.  Not a funnel cloud, but ... it was probably thinking about becoming one.  Thirty seconds later the sirens went off and we hunkered down for the next half hour.  Took a walk at last light to make sure our driveway was clear (it was full of sticks and branches but nothing huge).  Leaves and debris everywhere, then noticed emergency vehicle sirens, and chainsaws running.  I didn't venture down, but something serious happened around the corner.  One of my cherry trees out front will need to come down; the root ball heaved and it's leaning pretty severely.  

2 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

I hope mama is okay.  We had a similar situation earlier this spring - baby rabbits in the flowerbed.  One of our best mornings was seeing them out of the nest and ready for the big time before we went to work.

We had a surprisingly dry holiday weekend, but paid for it tonight.  Two waves of storms passed through, both pretty serious.  During the second one, I was eyeballing a tree that dropped in our back yard and watched a cloud with rotation pass directly over us at treetop level.  Not a funnel cloud, but ... it was probably thinking about becoming one.  Thirty seconds later the sirens went off and we hunkered down for the next half hour.  Took a walk at last light to make sure our driveway was clear (it was full of sticks and branches but nothing huge).  Leaves and debris everywhere, then noticed emergency vehicle sirens, and chainsaws running.  I didn't venture down, but something serious happened around the corner.  One of my cherry trees out front will need to come down; the root ball heaved and it's leaning pretty severely.  

Glad you guys are OK.  Bummer about your Cherry tree.  My Autumn Blaze maple in my back yard is listing towards east thanks to a storm a few years ago.

p.s. those bunnies are lucky they weren't born in my yard...

Apparently we got lucky. We're about 3 miles from the historic downtown, city of 4200. Local news reporting most roads closed, power out, and school dismissed. They're using the school as a shelter. Tornado hasn't been confirmed but I'm curious if the cloud I saw was to blame. 

Stay safe, @Zoxe. I hope that's the end of that. Heard some not good things for a couple of states this morning on the radio.

Thanks @Zoe. Will be taking care of this one tonight.  Picture is deceiving. Its a well grown cherry tree, easily 12 to 14 inches at chest height.  Was one of the trees we wanted to save when we cleared the area of dead and dying ash.

IMG-20190527-WA0010.thumb.jpg.7938623c1f6eab39a82257d9b6a7699e.jpg

3 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Apparently we got lucky. We're about 3 miles from the historic downtown, city of 4200. Local news reporting most roads closed, power out, and school dismissed. They're using the school as a shelter. Tornado hasn't been confirmed but I'm curious if the cloud I saw was to blame. 

Glad you’re safe @Zoxe.  I spent Memorial Day driving back to Chicago from Ohio.  Nothing is more fun than having your gps reroute you through scary parts of Chicago during terrible weather because the highways are in gridlock all while listening to the soundtrack of tornado sirens.

i read this am western Ohio got hit pretty bad with tornadoes.  Scary stuff.

40 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Glad you’re safe @Zoxe.  I spent Memorial Day driving back to Chicago from Ohio.  Nothing is more fun than having your gps reroute you through scary parts of Chicago during terrible weather because the highways are in gridlock all while listening to the soundtrack of tornado sirens.

i read this am western Ohio got hit pretty bad with tornadoes.  Scary stuff.

Glad you are safe too, brother.

6 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Glad you are safe too, brother.

thanks.  Me too.  The storms were crazy last night.  Several moments of hydroplaning.  crazy.

Got home expecting to fire up the chainsaw and drop that tree the rest of the way.  Wasn't scared but also knew it wouldn't be a straightforward drop that could go wrong in at least half a dozen ways.  Arrived home to find that daytime wind did the job for me.  It actually landed in an okay spot.

On the downside the root ball is sticking out of the ground up to my waist and a hole underneath to match.  

Well, look who showed up.  I noticed for the first time she wasn't within 6 feet of the nest at dusk last night.  She must have gone and gotten him.  The vine is waking up, but she's still pretty darn hard to see while he really stands out.  Maybe that's why he's been staying away.

image.png.5ad946a2122c6372bbb4883872d0d048.png

26 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Well, look who showed up.  I noticed for the first time she wasn't within 6 feet of the nest at dusk last night.  She must have gone and gotten him.  The vine is waking up, but she's still pretty darn hard to see while he really stands out.  Maybe that's why he's been staying away.

image.png.5ad946a2122c6372bbb4883872d0d048.png

Ooh! It did take me a moment to find her. Haha, glad you shared this photo. That was a fun tidbit to my morning.

This is a week late, but I got my annuals planted FINALLY. Some SunPatiens, Begonias, Verbena and Astor.

IMG_20190526_105702.jpg

IMG_20190526_105719.jpg

IMG_20190526_105751.jpg

MVIMG_20190526_105803.jpg

That's a gnarly looking tree you got there @Adam.

I bought a bunch of stuff this weekend.  2 pots of geraniums, 2 hanging baskets of petunias, a flat of "leggy" border for $10, some t-rex begonias, and a couple of new hostas (Spartacus, and Cool as a Cucumber").  It was 90 that day, so I put them on the back patio.  Of course that night went down to 48 so I had to drag it all into the garage.  smh  but I got them out yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

That's a gnarly looking tree you got there

It's from the Yew family. Google American Yew Tree if you want, and that's basically it.

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

It's from the Yew family. Google American Yew Tree if you want, and that's basically it.

I was referring to this bad boy.

image.png.70f201fac6a9b39922855c7adb343262.png

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

I was referring to this bad boy.

image.png.70f201fac6a9b39922855c7adb343262.png

Yep, that's the one.

18 minutes ago, Adam said:

Yep, that's the one.

Huh.  Didn't see an image that looked like it.  It's pretty cool looking.

18 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Huh.  Didn't see an image that looked like it.  It's pretty cool looking.

The heartwood at least on my tree has a nice red color when it's freshly cut. It's a cool tree, I like it a lot. Don't really see too many of them at least in my area.

So our volunteer pumpkin plant produced another pumpkin plant this year. Survived the burn pile somehow. Now that we know its there we will stop piling the weeds/limbs in that spot.

We received over 4" of rain in less than 24 hours here.  I had a few things to do outside but enjoyed a quiet rain day.  Mrs. Zoxe was online this weekend for tech support and oversight of an upgrade at work.  There were a few breaks where we could get out, but also a steady downpour for what felt like hours last night.  Zero wind, just raining straight down.

3 hours ago, Zoxe said:

We received over 4" of rain in less than 24 hours here.  I had a few things to do outside but enjoyed a quiet rain day.  Mrs. Zoxe was online this weekend for tech support and oversight of an upgrade at work.  There were a few breaks where we could get out, but also a steady downpour for what felt like hours last night.  Zero wind, just raining straight down.

All the rain missed Minneapolis yesterday.  Sort of glad, but sort of mad.  The Twins retired Joe Mauer's 7 yesterday evening.  Very nice ceremony.  Every other Twin with their number retired (and still alive) walked in from the bullpen area.  Harmon Killibrew's and Kirby Puckett's relatives were there to represent them as the deceased players with their numbers retired.  About 40 former Twins and/or staff came into town to celebrate the number retirement.  But my garden could have used the rain, and I'll probably have to hand water it with water from the rain barrels.  😥

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

All the rain missed Minneapolis yesterday.  Sort of glad, but sort of mad.  The Twins retired Joe Mauer's 7 yesterday evening.  Very nice ceremony.  Every other Twin with their number retired (and still alive) walked in from the bullpen area.  Harmon Killibrew's and Kirby Puckett's relatives were there to represent them as the deceased players with their numbers retired.  About 40 former Twins and/or staff came into town to celebrate the number retirement.  But my garden could have used the rain, and I'll probably have to hand water it with water from the rain barrels.  😥

We're just back from Sunday errands and "father's day" lunch even tho we don't have kids.  We've had a very wet spring, but the amount of water standing and surging of the creek behind our house is astounding.  We can see where it went across the roads in places we've never seen flooded in the 10 years we've been here.  I recall that there was a tropical storm that hit Mexico and swept up through Texas to our part of the country but lost track of when it was going to hit ... that musta been it.

1 hour ago, Plugh said:

Here's a picture of my yard from the hot tub on the front deck.

IMG_7941.JPG

Now that is an amazing view! I am quite envious.