Barb Bliss

What's your yard look like?

On 12/24/2018 at 7:55 AM, Zoxe said:

Happy Christmas Eve!

So, best I can figure, the power company ended up spending about $10k in maintenance for my property.  /highfives

The subcontracted crew that was here finished their main contracts and I lined them up to come back finish clearing the area next to my driveway.  That happened last week.  In the entire ~3 acre patch, we left only about 6 trees (1 crabapple that blooms very nicely in the spring, and 5 or 6 decent sized Cherry).  We've been cutting and hauling as our time allows, but with work and holiday travels and visitors it's been a couple weeks since we've done anything substantial out there.

The pile of logs feel enormous.  Dad is going to take a bit of the wood, and I'll toss some in my garage attic to dry, but most of it is going to feed the fireplace.  Konas is right that I wouldn't get very much per log.  I've eyeballed the DIY mills, and may set aside the nicest/largest logs, but probably won't mess with it.

20181218_171018.thumb.jpg.81dd0072e257c36d1fca11861f3411e8.jpg20181218_171014.thumb.jpg.ab69c28908e4bc73d1d50cc4192575ea.jpg

There are 3 piles of logs, this is the largest.

Merry Christmas @Zoxe!    My yard keeps changing based on the weather.  Near as I can tell, Mother Nature had way too much to drink the last couple of days.  I just hope every dump is > 1" so my snow guy will shovel it.

image.thumb.png.e243a4bbdf42cb76a0b59cadb3e69bc8.png

Great deal having the electric company cut the trees for you. Looks good. 

As a teenager I had to help my father haul firewood. It was our only heat for several winters. Eventually my dad built a new house himself (with help from the rest of the family) by the tiny old house. Then he tore down the old farm house. The new house uses gas for heating. As my parents are now in their 70's, they would not be able to handle the firewood anymore. 

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, Zoxe said:

Happy Christmas Eve!

So, best I can figure, the power company ended up spending about $10k in maintenance for my property.  /highfives

The subcontracted crew that was here finished their main contracts and I lined them up to come back finish clearing the area next to my driveway.  That happened last week.  In the entire ~3 acre patch, we left only about 6 trees (1 crabapple that blooms very nicely in the spring, and 5 or 6 decent sized Cherry).  We've been cutting and hauling as our time allows, but with work and holiday travels and visitors it's been a couple weeks since we've done anything substantial out there.

The pile of logs feel enormous.  Dad is going to take a bit of the wood, and I'll toss some in my garage attic to dry, but most of it is going to feed the fireplace.  Konas is right that I wouldn't get very much per log.  I've eyeballed the DIY mills, and may set aside the nicest/largest logs, but probably won't mess with it.

20181218_171018.thumb.jpg.81dd0072e257c36d1fca11861f3411e8.jpg20181218_171014.thumb.jpg.ab69c28908e4bc73d1d50cc4192575ea.jpg

There are 3 piles of logs, this is the largest.

Nice haul. I can see one nice cherry log in there. Is the rest Ash? Hard to tell from the pic. Nice property, btw.

Stupid snow guy never showed up.  I shoveled the slush off the front steps and walk last night.  Now I need to do it again before the temps plummet.

On 12/28/2018 at 8:18 AM, Konas said:

Nice haul. I can see one nice cherry log in there. Is the rest Ash? Hard to tell from the pic. Nice property, btw.

Thanks!  It looks a LOT different out there. I'm still doing double takes.  When we moved here, the trees brushed the side mirrors of the truck when we came and went; it was very much like driving through a tunnel to get to the house.  Now I have a "yard" out there. 

I went out today to start chunking up the logs in the far pile (which is actually behind the pile that's in top picture; there's a total of 3 piles) and noticed that Cherry.  I meant to save all of the Cherry but missed him when I flagged the keepers.  Oops!  I hope it's the only one!

Yes, nearly all the rest is Ash.  There's a few others in there, maybe Hackberry.  

Spent some of my Christmas money on a Husqvarna 460 Rancher (chainsaw).  It arrived yesterday and I ran my first tank with it today.  I'm in love.  Have been using a 14" Poulan for the past 9 years.  Not only is the Husky 2x the horsepower (for about the same weight), it's so much smoother.

On 12/27/2018 at 3:28 PM, RomyCat said:

Great deal having the electric company cut the trees for you. Looks good. 

As a teenager I had to help my father haul firewood. It was our only heat for several winters. Eventually my dad built a new house himself (with help from the rest of the family) by the tiny old house. Then he tore down the old farm house. The new house uses gas for heating. As my parents are now in their 70's, they would not be able to handle the firewood anymore. 

I've maybe posted this before...

The house that I grew up in was on 1 acre on the edge of a small town (across the street was outside the city limits).  The house was built in the late 1800s; the beams are 12x12 oak and are hand hewn (tool marks where they squared them up by hand).  Every wall stud in that house is 150 year old oak; apparently they didn't believe in pine back then.  Anyway, the house was heated from a small wood burning stove in the basement.  

Grandpa owned 165 acres about 40 minutes away.  Some of my earliest memories are of going into Grandpa's woods on a fall day with my dad, grandpa, uncles, and cousins to cut wood.  In those early years, the guys would cut enough wood to fill 4-5 pickups plus grandpa's hay wagon (Grandpa's red oaks were gigantic).  There were breaks, where the men would sit on their tailgates and drink scalding coffee from old-style glass lined thermoses (and Hawaiian Punch for me).  Doing the math, Dad was 10+ years younger than I am now, but he seemed so wise to a 8 year old. :)

In later years, family members started working more weekends and often it was just dad and I out cutting.  I was mid-teens by then; he'd drop the tree then hand me the little McCoullagh saw to limb out while he cut up the trunk.

Today, I truly despise the smell of 2-cycle exhaust, bug spray, and fresh cut grass. I spent too many summers behind a pushmower.

But I truly love the smell of 2-cycle exhaust, leather gloves, and sawdust.  That makes me think of simpler times at grandpa's farm.  And the hot cocoa that grandma would have waiting.  People at work think I'm nuts when I say that I love cutting wood, but there's nothing quite like it. 

Today really didn't go that well - the saws misbehaved, got pinched, and I struggled more than I expected to make progress.  But it was a helluva good day.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:05 PM, Zoxe said:

The house that I grew up in was on 1 acre on the edge of a small town (across the street was outside the city limits).  The house was built in the late 1800s; the beams are 12x12 oak and are hand hewn (tool marks where they squared them up by hand).  Every wall stud in that house is 150 year old oak; apparently they didn't believe in pine back then.  Anyway, the house was heated from a small wood burning stove in the basement.  

Grandpa owned 165 acres about 40 minutes away.  Some of my earliest memories are of going into Grandpa's woods on a fall day with my dad, grandpa, uncles, and cousins to cut wood.  In those early years, the guys would cut enough wood to fill 4-5 pickups plus grandpa's hay wagon (Grandpa's red oaks were gigantic).  There were breaks, where the men would sit on their tailgates and drink scalding coffee from old-style glass lined thermoses (and Hawaiian Punch for me).  Doing the math, Dad was 10+ years younger than I am now, but he seemed so wise to a 8 year old. :)

In later years, family members started working more weekends and often it was just dad and I out cutting.  I was mid-teens by then; he'd drop the tree then hand me the little McCoullagh saw to limb out while he cut up the trunk.

Today, I truly despise the smell of 2-cycle exhaust, bug spray, and fresh cut grass. I spent too many summers behind a pushmower.

But I truly love the smell of 2-cycle exhaust, leather gloves, and sawdust.  That makes me think of simpler times at grandpa's farm.  And the hot cocoa that grandma would have waiting.  People at work think I'm nuts when I say that I love cutting wood, but there's nothing quite like it. 

Today really didn't go that well - the saws misbehaved, got pinched, and I struggled more than I expected to make progress.  But it was a helluva good day.

Nice memories to have.  I never knew my grandparents except for my Mom's mom, and even with her, she slipped into dementia when I was in my teens.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:05 PM, Zoxe said:

I know those smells well. We had property up north that sounds very similar. Although add the sound of dirt bikes screaming around the property.

You all have such pretty yards! Awesome to see all the different yards 😊 

This is mine, still a work in progress, but a 180 from what it started as. I live in the bay area, so not a lot of space. 

F0AFC3ED-28B8-4A2E-93C5-79D6B06DB054.jpeg

878AE36A-1CAA-47DE-9A1B-2D92F69F7B7B.jpeg

8 hours ago, GhostChopper said:

Do they get along?

Yes, my dogs are still alive, but some villagers have lost cats and dogs recently by wolfes and coyotes in the village...

4 hours ago, Serge Darveau said:

Yes, my dogs are still alive, but some villagers have lost cats and dogs recently by wolfes and coyotes in the village...

I could see the little ones being taken, espically with coyotes. Glad your pups are ok!

Just a few vestiges of snow around Mount February, but we had snow flurries this afternoon too.  

Stupid question.  A robin has started building a nest in my pergola, pretty close to my back door.  Am I going to have to worry about being dive bombed by the robins when I come and go from my back yard?  I'd rather just let the birds do their thing and the remove the nest after the babies leave the nest, but not a fan of over protective parents just outside my main entrance to my house.

3 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Stupid question.  A robin has started building a nest in my pergola, pretty close to my back door.  Am I going to have to worry about being dive bombed by the robins when I come and go from my back yard?  I'd rather just let the birds do their thing and the remove the nest after the babies leave the nest, but not a fan of over protective parents just outside my main entrance to my house.

I honestly don't know. Never been attacked by a robin. Plenty of geese have tried to take out one of my dogs but not a robin.

Maybe, get a Batman picture and place it close to their nest to keep them in line.😁

1 minute ago, Konas said:

I honestly don't know. Never been attacked by a robin. Plenty of geese have tried to take out one of my dogs but not a robin.

Maybe, get a Batman picture and place it close to their nest to keep them in line.😁

I did get a plastic owl as a gift a few years ago, but I don't want to freak them out.  I don't think she's laid eggs yet.

I don't know much about Robins. Don't think they are violent.  I do know that Starlings are. We had a few nests at the weather office and they would attack people going by the building.

1 minute ago, WxCougar said:

I don't know much about Robins. Don't think they are violent.  I do know that Starlings are. We had a few nests at the weather office and they would attack people going by the building.

My evil sister's fantastic dog got a blue jay nest once.  She hid under the picnic table for about a 3 weeks before the parents moved on.

Nah, you should be fine. I have a few robin nests around my house. They will likely just ignore you and avoid you. :)

Or, if they set up inside your open garage-shack-thing like one did in mine, you'll need to help them navigate out of your open garage-shack-thing, but that's about it.

2 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Nah, you should be fine. I have a few robin nests around my house. They will likely just ignore you and avoid you. :)

Or, if they set up inside your open garage-shack-thing like one did in mine, you'll need to help them navigate out of your open garage-shack-thing, but that's about it.

Good.  I think from my landing window, I should be able to see at least partially into the nest.  It's all outside, so that's all good.  I think the mama bird was one from the flock that was hanging around for about 4 days.

With another 6 inches of snow tomorrow and another one friday (could be freezing rain or rain or a mix of everything), birds are quiet, and I still have my spiked tires on my car, lol :) 

Posted (edited)

With great reluctance, I mowed today for the first time.  I love living in the country but as time goes on, I detest mowing in the summer months.  Had to bypass several large areas that were all but underwater this weekend but most of it wasn't too bad.

I am actually still mulching leaves from last fall - we had a very late fall and then a heavy winter that arrived all at once.  The last time I mulched I was in my heavy winter gear a few days before the snow flew.  Leaves were still falling after I'd pulled the mower deck and installed the snow blade.

Edited by Zoxe

@GhostChopper, Your wish is my command.  Day 1 of the second pass.  Hostas starting to pop up.  If we get the rain we're supposed to get tomorrow, they should jump up.

There would be more tulips at the side of the house, but there were some squirrel decapitations.  I put a bowl of water after I saw the carnage, and thankfully no more poor tulips have lost their blooms since.

Street view:

image.png.e7b52ba014daa6e3841385e90faf43df.png

Sidewalk view:

image.png.8fdc1349030df43d749213b3792da759.png

4 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

@GhostChopper, Your wish is my command.  Day 1 of the second pass.  Hostas starting to pop up.  If we get the rain we're supposed to get tomorrow, they should jump up.

There would be more tulips at the side of the house, but there were some squirrel decapitations.  I put a bowl of water after I saw the carnage, and thankfully no more poor tulips have lost their blooms since.

Street view:

image.png.e7b52ba014daa6e3841385e90faf43df.png

Sidewalk view:

image.png.8fdc1349030df43d749213b3792da759.png

Nice! Can’t wait to see it in full bloom!