Jump to content
Barb Bliss

What's your yard look like?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

It had been a VERY long stretch with no rain here. Daily watering was necessary to keep the flowers going, fortunately everything else is now well established and can do better during dry times. We did finally get a good amount overnight and still supposed to get some more this morning, so that is a good thing. However, whatever falls now is going to get sucked up pretty quick, so I'm sure I'll be back to watering tomorrow.

We got August in mid-June, so I'm hoping we'll get June in August.  So far so good, but come another few weeks, the perennials will be all flowered out. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing left to flower for me is my sedum, and then wait for my burning bush to turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Adam said:

The only thing left to flower for me is my sedum, and then wait for my burning bush to turn.

Same here.  I'm going to go out and do a bunch of dead heading today and tomorrow, so I can enjoy the blooms while they are out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's wood on two side of my house, the dogs like it. :) 

38612367_1818354254887224_3320776590513668096_o.thumb.jpg.962cc2c20663e4d1bff11aeb9e161dbc.jpg

And you may see L.A. in that way some thousands miles away lol :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not in the greatest frame of mind thanks to a bombardment of negative political campaigning from both sides for almost a month.  Apparently both sides want Minnesota, and think they can get us.  Then the Walverines have been out in force, spending more time saying awful things to Spartan fans than actually being a fan of their adopted school.  Do they actually touch their mothers with the hands that type such vile stuff?  So, excuse me if I go a little off the reservation...

Some @$$#&e stole a piece of my gutters the other day.  I heard the noise, and went to the window to look.  It sounded like gutter metal being messed with, but I didn't see anything, so I chalked it up to an animal getting ready for winter.  Yesterday I went out to clean up some  yard waste and saw what happened.  The elbow from the end of the downspout to go into my drain basin is missing!  What sick, twisted, piece of $#*[ would steal someone's gutter elbow?  The @#&*! had to unscrew it before taking it.  It's not like this is Ann Arbor or something.  It's frickin' Minnesota.  The #&@%^ had to have been pressed up against my house after he detached it or I would have seen him out the window.  It's the wide/heavy duty stuff, so the piece isn't cheap or easy to find at a hardware store.  Now I only have a day or two to find another piece before it starts raining again. 

What is wrong with people now a days anyway?  I see it every day, and I weep for the future.  People, please raise your children to respect other people and their things.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I'm not in the greatest frame of mind thanks to a bombardment of negative political campaigning from both sides for almost a month.  Apparently both sides want Minnesota, and think they can get us.  Then the Walverines have been out in force, spending more time saying awful things to Spartan fans than actually being a fan of their adopted school.  Do they actually touch their mothers with the hands that type such vile stuff?  So, excuse me if I go a little off the reservation...

Some @$$#&e stole a piece of my gutters the other day.  I heard the noise, and went to the window to look.  It sounded like gutter metal being messed with, but I didn't see anything, so I chalked it up to an animal getting ready for winter.  Yesterday I went out to clean up some  yard waste and saw what happened.  The elbow from the end of the downspout to go into my drain basin is missing!  What sick, twisted, piece of $#*[ would steal someone's gutter elbow?  The @#&*! had to unscrew it before taking it.  It's not like this is Ann Arbor or something.  It's frickin' Minnesota.  The #&@%^ had to have been pressed up against my house after he detached it or I would have seen him out the window.  It's the wide/heavy duty stuff, so the piece isn't cheap or easy to find at a hardware store.  Now I only have a day or two to find another piece before it starts raining again. 

What is wrong with people now a days anyway?  I see it every day, and I weep for the future.  People, please raise your children to respect other people and their things.

My real reaction is >:(

Do you have old copper gutters or something? What kind of mythic material are your gutters made from that would entice someone to steal them? Bottom line is some people really suck these days.Hopefully karma pays a visit to the little sh!t that did this to you.

Unrelated to your post, but related to the topic, my yard is in disaster state now from all the falling leaves -_-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Adam said:

My real reaction is >:(

Do you have old copper gutters or something? What kind of mythic material are your gutters made from that would entice someone to steal them? Bottom line is some people really suck these days.Hopefully karma pays a visit to the little sh!t that did this to you.

Unrelated to your post, but related to the topic, my yard is in disaster state now from all the falling leaves -_-

No.  It's that white Leafguard gutter stuff.  I actually had to go to a professional contractor and buy it off of him for $30 7 years ago when I had the rainwater retention system.  My theory is some installer came up a piece short and ripped me off rather than driving somewhere to pick it up.

Edited by Barb Bliss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

No.  It's that white Leafguard gutter stuff.  I actually had to go to a professional contractor and buy it off of him for $30 7 years ago when I had the rainwater retention system.  My theory is some installer came up a piece short and ripped me off rather than driving somewhere to pick it up.

Ah! If you're right and it is an installer, that would make it even more scummy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Adam said:

Unrelated to your post, but related to the topic, my yard is in disaster state now from all the falling leaves -_-

This is my easy time.  Clean up what's convenient from the plants.  Blow the leaves onto the planting beds.  One of the many reasons my spring cleanups are getting harder and harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We own 10 acres. The front 7 or so acres is reclaimed cornfield that populated with Ash.  We have the ash bore and started losing trees an masse about 2 years ago.

We have overhead power lines to the house. Back in June, the power company sent a forestry guy out to chat about the number of dead ash threatening the lines. We walked the property and he marked a large swath for tree removal at their cost.  I'm actually all for this, as the ash are a maintenance nightmare and eyesore.

I was actually thinking about soliciting quotes to clear this entire area, then replant it with blue spruce or some beneficial hardwoods or something. So I held off to see how much they would do for me for free.

We expected the crews to come out in late summer, but nothing. In early September, a crew took a couple of ash out by the road but ignored the rest of his flags and marks.

We came home Tuesday to this!!  Everything that is mulch used to be woods.

20181121_162005.thumb.jpg.58103150fd9a98b6e332517c808312bd.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Zoxe, wow that quite a swath of destruction.  I don't suppose you got to keep the trunk wood.  You could put in some trees and plant about 2000 naturalizing bulbs like crocus and daffys around them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

@Zoxe, wow that quite a swath of destruction.  I don't suppose you got to keep the trunk wood.  You could put in some trees and plant about 2000 naturalizing bulbs like crocus and daffys around them.

Actually, yah, they are leaving me everything that's about 4" in diameter and larger. I have two giant piles of logs. Blessing and a curse, now I get to cut them up and move them.

I'm not sure what we'll put in after it. We've talked about This for years but now it's happening very fast. I'm truly not inclined to mow that much with my current garden tractor and currently lack the storage space to upgrade to a larger mowing rig, so something needs to go back in there. I need a wind break for the driveway, too.  

In the back, I have about a nice plot of black walnut that's doing well. I like the idea of another heritage plot of hardwood for future timber, even tho i don't have kids and probably wouldn't live to see it get harvested. I just don't know if that's the spot to do it in.

This will be a good template, though. South of the driveway is another 4 or 5 acres of brush, brambles, dying ash, and silver maple. Given infinite time and funds, I'd clear all that and do something useful with it too.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zoxe said:

Actually, yah, they are leaving me everything that's about 4" in diameter and larger. I have two giant piles of logs. Blessing and a curse, now I get to cut them up and move them.

I'm not sure what we'll put in after it. We've talked about This for years but now it's happening very fast. I'm truly not inclined to mow that much with my current garden tractor and currently lack the storage space to upgrade to a larger mowing rig, so something needs to go back in there. I need a wind break for the driveway, too.  

In the back, I have about a nice plot of black walnut that's doing well. I like the idea of another heritage plot of hardwood for future timber, even tho i don't have kids and probably wouldn't live to see it get harvested. I just don't know if that's the spot to do it in.

This will be a good template, though. South of the driveway is another 4 or 5 acres of brush, brambles, dying ash, and silver maple. Given infinite time and funds, I'd clear all that and do something useful with it too.

Do you have a mill near by?  Get them cut into vertical live edge board slabs and let them dry out.  Just a thought.

Planting bulbs and mowing are not inclusive.  They could just be a pretty gift in the spring, and then die back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have an infestation of Russian Olives. The folks that gravelled our driveway removed 20 but you can't tell. Probably because the two big ones are ones we see out the window.

We hope to remove them and put something in their place. Just not sure what yet. One of them is infested with a blackberry bush. Its like a slow wrestling match between 2 invasive species.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Actually, yah, they are leaving me everything that's about 4" in diameter and larger. I have two giant piles of logs. Blessing and a curse, now I get to cut them up and move them.

I'm not sure what we'll put in after it. We've talked about This for years but now it's happening very fast. I'm truly not inclined to mow that much with my current garden tractor and currently lack the storage space to upgrade to a larger mowing rig, so something needs to go back in there. I need a wind break for the driveway, too.  

In the back, I have about a nice plot of black walnut that's doing well. I like the idea of another heritage plot of hardwood for future timber, even tho i don't have kids and probably wouldn't live to see it get harvested. I just don't know if that's the spot to do it in.

This will be a good template, though. South of the driveway is another 4 or 5 acres of brush, brambles, dying ash, and silver maple. Given infinite time and funds, I'd clear all that and do something useful with it too.

 

We started the company using White Ash that died due to the borer. We brought in a portable mill and cut them into planks then dried them for a year. Good cheap way to get a ton of lumber but it takes a while and you have to have the room to store it. It's a god amount of work as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heres a pic of one of the Ash logs before milling

IMG_20160712_163238.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Konas said:

Heres a pic of one of the Ash logs before milling

IMG_20160712_163238.jpg

I'll take some pics tonight. May be you can tell me if it's worth fussing with. I had assumed it was all destined for the fireplace but there's a metric buttload more than I expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Konas said:

Heres a pic of one of the Ash logs before milling

IMG_20160712_163238.jpg

I'm a lumberjack, and I'm OK...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another day, another swath if destruction. This time they pushed the weedline back out at the road (and the overhead lines there).

20181123_160848.thumb.jpg.f30994c0933583cfe39beed725c63bd6.jpg

20181123_165557.thumb.jpg.bae0e62556c6457f517ae5436cbab6fa.jpg

20181123_165048.thumb.jpg.2125bb11d3a0ef31a9dbe6ac21c9e400.jpg

This is one of 3 piles. Maybe chest high to me, and I'm 6'3" in my work boots. Most of them are probably 8 or 10 inches or less. I'm not sure this is worth slabbing out into boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We cut and hauled wood on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'm thankful for the wet weather that rolled in last night so I can get healed up.  My dad is going to take quite a bit of the wood for his backyard shop. 

I'm also getting a new wagon for the garden tractor to haul logs. Almost destroyed my old companion. 😉

We also finalized a deal with the guy doing the work to finish off the area North of the drive once he's done with contract work. So it will be clear and ready for replanting at our convenience.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, Zoxe said:

Another day, another swath if destruction. This time they pushed the weedline back out at the road (and the overhead lines there).

20181123_160848.thumb.jpg.f30994c0933583cfe39beed725c63bd6.jpg

20181123_165557.thumb.jpg.bae0e62556c6457f517ae5436cbab6fa.jpg

20181123_165048.thumb.jpg.2125bb11d3a0ef31a9dbe6ac21c9e400.jpg

This is one of 3 piles. Maybe chest high to me, and I'm 6'3" in my work boots. Most of them are probably 8 or 10 inches or less. I'm not sure this is worth slabbing out into boards.

I don't think it would be worth it. They are a little small, you're looking at maybe 3 or 4 boards per tree. A mill would cost about $2500 for the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×