Sign in to follow this  
LuckyIke

Sports!

On the radio over lunch, Matt Birk (retired Vikings OL).  He was reminiscing about his draft day.  Pretty neat.  Then the conversation kind of meandered.  The voice of the Vikings said that after leaving the new Performance Center for the Vikings and heading home, he looks at his house, and thinks of all the things that aren't up to snuff.  Then they started talking about some of the more quotable coaches that used to coach the Vikings.  My favorite (reminded of it) was Brad Childress addressing the media after several questions got him all annoyed.  "You guys in the media, you're like those guys that stand on the hill and watch the battle, but never pick up a weapon.  Then when everyone else leaves, you go down to the battle field and shoot the wounded."

4 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

On the radio over lunch, Matt Birk (retired Vikings OL).  He was reminiscing about his draft day.  Pretty neat.  Then the conversation kind of meandered.  The voice of the Vikings said that after leaving the new Performance Center for the Vikings and heading home, he looks at his house, and thinks of all the things that aren't up to snuff.  Then they started talking about some of the more quotable coaches that used to coach the Vikings.  My favorite (reminded of it) was Brad Childress addressing the media after several questions got him all annoyed.  "You guys in the media, you're like those guys that stand on the hill and watch the battle, but never pick up a weapon.  Then when everyone else leaves, you go down to the battle field and shoot the wounded."

Draft day is a Cleveland Browns fan Super Bowl.  It’s the day where hopes and dreams are at their highest in believing that maybe....JUST MAYBE....this will be the year it gets turned around.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tgpumpkin said:

Draft day is a Cleveland Browns fan Super Bowl.  It’s the day where hopes and dreams are at their highest in believing that maybe....JUST MAYBE....this will be the year it gets turned around.

The Browns should come away with a ton of talent if they don't trip over their own feet.  Not drafting a meat chicken player would be a start.

Edited by Barb Bliss

2 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

The Browns should come away with a ton of talent if they don't trip over their own feet.  Not drafting a meat chicken player would be a start.

Pretty sure I’ve heard that very same line since 1999 ;) 

Best online comment about the draft that also ties into an underdog topic: Fans don't win trophies, unless they are a millennial.

20 minutes ago, TheAuthorOfOZ said:

Shifting gears, anyone interesting in watching the World Cup even though the US didn't qualify?

I'll be watching paint drying instead.  More entertaining to me.

2 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

@tgpumpkin, day 2 mock from cbssports.com.  The comment under 33 says it all.

image.png.ca4028656e6874f7ee93aea8b98a1971.png

image.png.96e60cb78a304f6c4a803615bdb8f921.png

This weekend will involve a substantial amount of alcohol and self loathing as a Browns fan....

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2018 at 8:21 AM, TheAuthorOfOZ said:

Shifting gears, anyone interesting in watching the World Cup even though the US didn't qualify?

Probably will follow in passing but don’t see myself tuning in live for much of it.  How about you?

Gopher athletics is having a road trip tour for the fans.  It kind of resembled a stand-up show.

Football coach P.J. Fleck on winning five games last season: “I know, I know, everybody’s all mad, and so was I, to be honest with you. At the end of the year I was (ticked), I was really upset. But then (men’s) basketball season rolled around, and I didn’t feel so bad anymore.”

Men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino on P.J. Fleck: “Terrific speaker. … He’s got a lot of buzzwords that you like to hear. Row The Boat is awesome, I love it. Nekton Mentality is terrific, I love that one. It’s one of my favorites. But I heard one recently that I really like — Year Zero. Year Zero means that last year did not happen, so it’s perfect for me. Thank you, P.J., Mark (Coyle), just remember last year did not happen for either one of us.”

Well, this is where I'm at:

I told everyone the Penguins were stupid for getting rid of my Flower.

I've got his Penguins jersey, now I need a Knights one.

Burn of the day: Comments in MLive about one of the lower ranked players developing into one of the top 3 pass defensive guards in the 2019 draft.  Of course the Walverines showed up and spewed the usual rubbish.  Then an Ohio State fan adds the comment "Thank God UM doesn't develop players like MSU does."  LOL!

Joe Mauer and his twin girls!  Mom pregnant with #3.

image.png.1e4c305b93827aee83d77e44623c450e.png

p.s. Super Viking fan Millie Wall, who turned 100 years old last week, on what it’s like to reach the century mark: “Well, it doesn’t feel any different than 99.”  😁

2 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Yeah I saw that yesterday,  it’s very sad.  

Basically his health insurance killed him.  How do you not do a stress test when someone comes into the hospital with chest pains?