Sign in to follow this  
LuckyIke

Sports!

March Madness is upon us!  I’m still riding the Super Bowl high from my Eagles, and have no dog in this fight.  I’ll just be watching and rooting for upsets and chaos.  

Here’s a spot for trash talk, rivalries, and good-natured rooting fun for those of us who enjoy both gaming and sports.

To kick things off @Barb Bliss , what’s your prediction for score of the first round MSU game?

Oh I do have one rooting interest in this year’s tournament: just like every year, I actively root against ‘nova.  (No capitalization for them).

2 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

March Madness is upon us!  I’m still riding the Super Bowl high from my Eagles, and have no dog in this fight.  I’ll just be watching and rooting for upsets and chaos.  

Here’s a spot for trash talk, rivalries, and good-natured rooting fun for those of us who enjoy both gaming and sports.

To kick things off @Barb Bliss , what’s your prediction for score of the first round MSU game?

I didn't see this until the game was over, so I'd be cheating if I answered now.

10 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I didn't see this until the game was over, so I'd be cheating if I answered now.

Things were pretty chippy in that game, I was surprised the refs let it get so rough.  It calmed down eventually at least.

After one game, everyone gets to keep their avatar!  For those not familiar, there is a bet afoot.  @Shamgar (Michigan fan), @Konas and I (Michigan State fans), and @tgpumpkin (Ohio State fan)  are rooting their teams on in March Madness.  

<snip from @Konas>

@tgpumpkin@Barb Bliss@Shamgar I propose a March Madness wager. Whichever school goes the furthest in the tourney wins. The other 2 people have to change their avatar to the winner's choosing. For instance, when MSU wins, Shamgar and TGP would switch their Avatars to the following for ONE WHOLE MONTH. I would also add that they can make no reference to it themselves for that month. Although Barb and I can write whatever we want about it. Thoughts? PS. If you say no to this, I will just go ahead and change your avatar to it anyway.

130122-michigan-state-university-sparty-the-spartan-78b97.jpg

3 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

Things were pretty chippy in that game, I was surprised the refs let it get so rough.  It calmed down eventually at least.

I'm so glad Ward wasn't seriously hurt.  I give the refs an F for their effort.  Usually when both teams get technical fouls, that's not a good look for the refs.

I would be super happy for UMBC to win, but am having trouble getting my hopes up, even with a 10 + point lead with 13 minutes to play. Super happy if they don't, but you would think VA will simply turn it on at some point, right?

3 minutes ago, Shamgar said:

I would be super happy for UMBC to win, but am having trouble getting my hopes up, even with a 10 + point lead with 13 minutes to play. Super happy if they don't, but you would think VA will simply turn it on at some point, right?

It's 16 now.  If they keep shooting 3 like crazy, they will win.  Virginia is a defensive team, but lousy at offense.  If the other team is shooting lights out, and they have a bad offensive day, they can totally lose.  Kind of like when MSU lost to UM this year.

Is it just me, or do a couple of the UMBC guys look like they're about 12 years old?

1 minute ago, Shamgar said:

Is it just me, or do a couple of the UMBC guys look like they're about 12 years old?

They all look about 12 or about 27 to me.

Yes, he is. Really hoping they can hang on. It looks like a high school team having the game of their lives against college men. The huge upset would be amazing...as long as it isn't our team. :)

I love the guy that has a big fathead of his kid, and dances around with the head after each basket his kid makes.

• Like 1

Plus that’s the region that has Loyola Chicago.  Would love to see the upsets spread around but this gives a better chance of some underdog making a run.

U Might Be Cinderella!

If anyone still has a correct bracket after the first games, I'll eat my hat.

• Haha 1

Just now, LuckyIke said:

@Barb Bliss which team would you rather MSU face in the second round?

1. I find the zone defense makes for boring games
  2. If MSU isn't shooting well, the zone causes problems
  3. I hate the Syracuse coach because he's a Cheatie McCheater, and I don't want to have to keep seeing his stupid face during the game

For these reasons, I'd rather have TCU.

I thought the VA coach was super classy in his interview. Tough spot and he handled it well.

LOVE the UMBC win. And agree a 13 v. 16 Sweet 16 matchup would be great.

@Barb Bliss I also rather loathe Syracuse.  The Carrier Dome is a dump of a place to watch a ball game too.  They always seemed to have our number during the years I was in school.

@Shamgar I agree, he did a really good job considering the circumstances.

That was totally worth staying up a bit late for!  G’nite DMG’ers!