Sign in to follow this  
Konas

Wooden Dice!

1 minute ago, Thomas Browne said:

Wow - we still suck at this apparently after all this time.

I got 2 out of 3 right.  So I don't totally suck at it.

Just now, Thomas Browne said:

Wow - we still suck at this apparently after all this time.

To be fair they are hitting us with all these exotic new flavors.  And with the dice being so small it’s harder to get a good sense of the grain patterns and coloration than on the bigger pieces for differentiation.

4 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

To be fair they are hitting us with all these exotic new flavors.  And with the dice being so small it’s harder to get a good sense of the grain patterns and coloration than on the bigger pieces for differentiation.

True - but I imagine @Konas and @PUZZLONGBEARD and the other lumberjacks go around the lumberyard blindfolded and pick out the woods by scent alone.

(ok - so we don't get scent from images, but I think you get the point)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

Yeah, it is hard for us to keep them straight as well. A lot of the woods come in labeled but also waxed. We take pics of them, them plane them down and they look totally different without the wax. We are now running smaller runs so we can keep it all straight easily. I have a die by my desk that none of us know what it is. So, everyone, don't feel bad, we do it too. Although now we are getting a lot better at recognizing the newer woods.

Not to mention, the rarer woods have a much bigger curve in appearance. We are running a Cocobolo right now that is almost entirely dark purple and blue. Gorgeous, but not mixed with the orange that Cocobolo is known for. Should be ready for tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Konas said:

Yeah, it is hard for us to keep them straight as well. A lot of the woods come in labeled but also waxed. We take pics of them, them plane them down and they look totally different without the wax. We are now running smaller runs so we can keep it all straight easily. I have a die by my desk that none of us know what it is. So, everyone, don't feel bad, we do it too. Although now we are getting a lot better at recognizing the newer woods.

Not to mention, the rarer woods have a much bigger curve in appearance. We are running a Cocobolo right now that is almost entirely dark purple and blue. Gorgeous, but not mixed with the orange that Cocobolo is known for. Should be ready for tomorrow.

Let someone else sand it.

3 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I would probably just sand it myself but I don't want to go to the Castle looking like I took the ole 1-2 to the face. I am also working on building up a tolerance. I am licking one piece of Cocobolo a day.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Nice avatar, BTW. You must be a HUGE U of M fan!

note: the rule states I can't mention my own.

3 minutes ago, Konas said:

Glad to see everyone representing the Maize and Blue for tonight's game. Love that team spirit! :P

• Sad 1

Just now, Konas said:

Thanks.  I think Eric found it for me.  People always seem to assume I'm a U of M fan when they find out I grew up in Michigan, what with their strong brand name.  I didn't realize you needed glasses.  Note: @Shamgar is much nicer than other bet winners I know.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Thanks.  I think Eric found it for me.  People always seem to assume I'm a U of M fan when they find out I grew up in Michigan, what with their strong brand name.  I didn't realize you needed glasses.  Note: @Shamgar is much nicer than other bet winners I know.

Yeah, I would've been much meaner to him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Happy to help!  I figured you two had to wear the M of shame, but you could at least have a cutie dog with it!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

It's an actual pic of me from about 3 years ago.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Thanks. I can't say it was always the case, but I've mellowed out a bit even though I live in Ann Arbor. Plus I'm aware that it could very well go the opposite direction in the future.

That said, every time I see you guys, especially 'coach', I smile.

@Konas may need a maize and blue GM screen...or even a set of dice done in blue with maize inlay to adorn his newly redecorated U-M Shrine. :)

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, ElysianPeace said:

Left to right Black and white ebony, red palm, and granadillo!

Spalty set then Cocobolo!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That cocobolo....soooo nice. I really like how the straight grain streaks look with all the angles.

Also I like that your spalted tamarind dragon sheath has had a little litter of hatchlings.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ElysianPeace said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That Spalty Set is killa!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

These are beautiful sets. Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to seeing more pics like this in various groups around FB as new customers receive theirs.

Edited by Shamgar
Mis-Topic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shamgar said:

Thanks. I can't say it was always the case, but I've mellowed out a bit even though I live in Ann Arbor. Plus I'm aware that it could very well go the opposite direction in the future.

That said, every time I see you guys, especially 'coach', I smile.

@Konas may need a maize and blue GM screen...or even a set of dice done in blue with maize inlay to adorn his newly redecorated U-M Shrine. :)

It will be a porcelain shrine...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Konas said:

I would probably just sand it myself but I don't want to go to the Castle looking like I took the ole 1-2 to the face. I am also working on building up a tolerance. I am licking one piece of Cocobolo a day.

I’m glad you’re facing the cocobolo head on, because it just looks too nice.  Build up your resistance and you’ll be able to face down Vizzini no problem.150062DB-82EA-4EA3-8DBB-31D6D43B67A2.jpeg.b35ffb49d24eeb31518f23467010ae07.jpeg

Inconceivable! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ElysianPeace said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

These are beauties.  Your red palm is making me think about those coffeewood dice again.  Uh Oh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

I’m glad you’re facing the cocobolo head on, because it just looks too nice.  Build up your resistance and you’ll be able to face down Vizzini no problem.150062DB-82EA-4EA3-8DBB-31D6D43B67A2.jpeg.b35ffb49d24eeb31518f23467010ae07.jpeg

Inconceivable! 

Out of reactions.  Trophy!  By your leave.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys! I’m trying to ignore that there’s room for more then one spalty set in the sheath. Also I like Cocobolo in person even more then I thought!! It’s just sexy as hell. Taunts of purple magic Cocobolo are very effective right now. Red palm is absolutely my favorite of the new d20s but the other two are really attractive to me too. I should be getting another delivery in today so there might be more photos soon. 

• Like 1

We aren't going to have as many as we would like tomorrow but a good spread. Not many new single d20s. Mostly sets. But we are primed to make a ton next week. We had a little trouble with the new 4th Axis that slowed things down. Still some special ones though. 2 Pau Rosa sets, by the way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

We aren't going to have as many as we would like tomorrow but a good spread. Not many new single d20s. Mostly sets. But we are primed to make a ton next week. We had a little trouble with the new 4th Axis that slowed things down. Still some special ones though. 2 Pau Rosa sets, by the way.

Makes sense.  Seems like it's primarily the Underdogs here who are looking for the variety of woods that singles offer.

The sets were definitely selling much better.

23 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

These are beauties.  Your red palm is making me think about those coffeewood dice again.  Uh Oh.

Thank God.  Someone bought that cool coffeewood die I was looking at.

• Haha 1