Sign in to follow this  
RomyCat

Music on Kickstarter

My sister and I love when playing a board game to listen to music which relates. For example, when playing Puerto Rico, we listen to Puerto Rican music on YouTube. To me, it helps me to feel more pulled into the theme and atmosphere of the game. 

As a long time gamer of both video and board games, I wanted to give a shout-out to some music which relates.

Kickstarter:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/christophertin/new-album-by-christopher-tin-baba-yetu-civilizatio?ref=profile_starred

The first time I played the video game Civilization IV and heard the opening song "Baba Yetu, " I was speechless.  It was one of the most beautiful, epic songs I had ever heard...and it was inside a game?  I was just stunned and had to find out more about this song.  Turned out Christopher Tin had composed the song which is Swahili for "Our Father."  It would go on to be nominated for the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists. And was the first video game theme song to ever be nominated for a Grammy. 

Christopher Tin is back, working on his third album. This is his first Kickstarter and has set a new record--the highest funded classical music on Kickstarter

Posted (edited)

Here is Philharmonic and Alex Boye preforming Christopher Tin's song Baba Yetu, which is the Lord's Prayer in Swahili.

Edited by RomyCat

And another version of the song by the same group, but shows interaction with the locals in the area when filming. This is one of my favorite versions. 

Posted (edited)

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1916334303/video-games-live-level-6-album-and-movie?ref=profile_starred

Back when I first heard about the song Baba Yetu, my search to buy the song quickly led me to Video Games Live and I purchased one of their albums. I really enjoyed hearing music from games I had grownup with turned into classic scores. Well, VGL is back again with their 4th Kickstarter.  Among many successes, VGL has aired  on PBS which became one of their top rated specials. They have toured around the world in 42 counties.

Edited by RomyCat

New game on KS, Chronicles of Crime has music.  Just snap the ink spot thingie on the card, and your phone will play appropriate music.

1 hour ago, RomyCat said:

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1916334303/video-games-live-level-6-album-and-movie?ref=profile_starred

Back when I first heard about the song Baba Yetu, my search to buy the song quickly led me to Video Games Live and I purchased one of their albums. I really enjoyed hearing music from games I had grownup with turned into classic scores. Well, VGL is back again with their 4th Kickstarter.  Among many successes, VGL has aired  on PBS which became one of their top rated specials. They have turned around the world in 42 counties.

We've had the fortune of seeing VGL in person twice.  Enjoyed them both times. Thanks for linking this!

Barb, I had glanced at Chronicles of Crime but not looked closely. Now I'm more curious about the game.

Zoxe, you are lucky. I have send videos of VGL, but never seen them live. I would love to go to one of the concerts. 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:02 AM, RomyCat said:

Kickstarter:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/christophertin/new-album-by-christopher-tin-baba-yetu-civilizatio?ref=profile_starred

The first time I played the video game Civilization IV and heard the opening song "Baba Yetu, " I was speechless.  It was one of the most beautiful, epic songs I had ever heard...and it was inside a game?  I was just stunned and had to find out more about this song.  Turned out Christopher Tin had composed the song which is Swahili for "Our Father."  It would go on to be nominated for the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists. And was the first video game theme song to ever be nominated for a Grammy. 

Christopher Tin is back, working on his third album. This is his first Kickstarter and has set a new record--the highest funded classical music on Kickstarter

I had no idea that any video game song could be nominated for a Grammy. That's a pretty cool story. 

• Thanks 1