Zoxe

Your convention plans

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Vancouver doesn't suck.

I wouldn't know. I only pay for others to go there.🤔

Just now, Konas said:

I wouldn't know. I only pay for others to go there.🤔

You'll want to change that.  If you go in the spring-ish time, make sure to check out Victoria Island.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

You'll want to change that.  If you go in the spring-ish time, make sure to check out Victoria Island.

Victoria is amazing.

7 hours ago, Konas said:

Shut Up and Sit Down does a con in Vancouver. Lindsey goes every year.

Might have to look into that hadn't heard of it before. It is literally on the opposite extreme of the country though.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:54 AM, Thomas Browne said:

That's like PAX Unplugged tickets go on sale Thursday.

Unfortunately I can't make it this year :(  Conflicts with one of my local cons.

We are going to skip PAX-U this year too.  Budget can only sustain so much, and sadly PAX-U fell below our 'must do' threshold.  If they went to a pre-registered, centralized event system, we might change our mind.  It's a long ways to drive and a lot of money to spend, only to stand in line to find out if you can actually do anything.  (I'll definitely go back to Philly to enjoy Reading Terminal Market again, tho!)

On 5/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, Zoxe said:

We are going to skip PAX-U this year too.  Budget can only sustain so much, and sadly PAX-U fell below our 'must do' threshold.  If they went to a pre-registered, centralized event system, we might change our mind.  It's a long ways to drive and a lot of money to spend, only to stand in line to find out if you can actually do anything.  (I'll definitely go back to Philly to enjoy Reading Terminal Market again, tho!)

And that is part of my issue with it too.  I said that basically I can do Origins more easily and for less money - and actually make sure I get what I want.

Even if it wasn't conflicting this year, I was 50-50 on going (mainly would have been going to see friends who are just moving inot the Philly area)

GENCON EVENT QUEUE DAY!

Gencon announces their calendar in advance, and then uses a wishlist system to build out your calendar for the 4 1/2 days.  Then you log in at the appointed time (i.e. today at noon) and click a button to submit your wishlist to the Gencon supercomputer for cranking.  Of course, everyone is doing the same thing and the whole system pauses and shudders when the clock ticks over.  When you click, you can almost feel the power grid browning down and the earth's rotation stuttering a bit.

Anyway, the last two years have been unkind to us in the queue.  This year I got marginally better at about 8200ish (vs. I think maybe 14,000+ last year? I'd have to go look).  Mrs. Zoxe initially didn't get a number at all, but finally took a risk, refreshed the page, and found that she was 1,000 lower than me.  

When the dust settled, we didn't get into our painting classes (booo!) but I had plenty of other events to choose from.   #1 on my list was Dropfleet's Narrative Battle, and I got into that.  Mrs. Zoxe got into some writing events and a crochet class (crochet a dice bag! hah!).  

But we have things we can do and are not scrambling back through the catalog to make use of our time.  #nerdstress

Getting excited for PaizoCon this coming weekend. Got into 2 lottery games and some fun seminars. Really looking forward to the Viking Meadery which is walking distance from the hotel :).

30 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

Getting excited for PaizoCon this coming weekend. Got into 2 lottery games and some fun seminars. Really looking forward to the Viking Meadery which is walking distance from the hotel :).

Ooooh, Meadery. I didn't know that was a word.  :)

19 hours ago, Zoxe said:

GENCON EVENT QUEUE DAY!

Gencon announces their calendar in advance, and then uses a wishlist system to build out your calendar for the 4 1/2 days.  Then you log in at the appointed time (i.e. today at noon) and click a button to submit your wishlist to the Gencon supercomputer for cranking.  Of course, everyone is doing the same thing and the whole system pauses and shudders when the clock ticks over.  When you click, you can almost feel the power grid browning down and the earth's rotation stuttering a bit.

Anyway, the last two years have been unkind to us in the queue.  This year I got marginally better at about 8200ish (vs. I think maybe 14,000+ last year? I'd have to go look).  Mrs. Zoxe initially didn't get a number at all, but finally took a risk, refreshed the page, and found that she was 1,000 lower than me.  

When the dust settled, we didn't get into our painting classes (booo!) but I had plenty of other events to choose from.   #1 on my list was Dropfleet's Narrative Battle, and I got into that.  Mrs. Zoxe got into some writing events and a crochet class (crochet a dice bag! hah!).  

But we have things we can do and are not scrambling back through the catalog to make use of our time.  #nerdstress

I'm laughing at your description of its effect on the earth, hahaha. Oh goodness. Glad it worked out pretty okay at least!

15 hours ago, WxCougar said:

Ahhh, that sounds amazing!!

Just became aware of this local tournament/convention for those in the lower Michigan area.  

http://michigangt.com/

We're considering going up for the Dropfleet play on Sunday.

18 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Just became aware of this local tournament/convention for those in the lower Michigan area.  

http://michigangt.com/

We're considering going up for the Dropfleet play on Sunday.

Interesting. That's less than an hour away from my house. Maybe @Lindsey and I can make the trip for a day.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Konas said:

Interesting. That's less than an hour away from my house. Maybe @Lindsey and I can make the trip for a day.

The buzz on the Dropfleet discord is generally favorable on it.  Tho it sounds like a true "tournament" and not a convention with a lot od vendors, classes, and free play. From what I can tell, there's no cost to enter the venue, but you do pre register for games. 

We're interested but the logistics get weird. DFC is on Sunday, with 3 rounds of 3hrs each. Even starting at 8am, and allowing some time for breaks and cleanup, it's probably a 12 hr day. That puts us home very late on a "school night." My vacation schedule is running on fumes.... 

Edited by Zoxe

5 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

The buzz on the Dropfleet discord is generally favorable on it.  Tho it sounds like a true "tournament" and not a convention with a lot od vendors, classes, and free play. From what I can tell, there's no cost to enter the venue, but you do pre register for games. 

We're interested but the logistics get weird. DFC is on Sunday, with 3 rounds of 3hrs each. Even starting at 8am, and allowing some time for breaks and cleanup, it's probably a 12 hr day. That puts us home very late on a "school night." My vacation schedule is running on fumes.... 

Hire a driver and cushy car.  Sleep on the way home.  😉

On 6/10/2019 at 10:09 AM, Barb Bliss said:

Hire a driver and cushy car.  Sleep on the way home.  😉

Dunno if I can get an Uber to haul us that far, but I did sign up. 😁😁