Zoxe

Your convention plans

18 hours ago, Konas said:

PS. The Reading Terminal Market is amazing. @Lindsey grew up in Philly. I believe I won't hear the end of her disappointing moans about not going to PAXU for some time....

That it is.. Insane.. but amazing.  Definitely a nice break for food from the 'con food'.

23 hours ago, Zoe said:

Did anybody get in on the giant version of ROOT?!

No - I didn't even manage to get in on a demo of Root at all, despite trying multiple times.  Did see this though.

And yeah, Root was definitely a focal point.. although maybe not QUITE as much as I think @Zoxe thought.  Things like CMON, and Keyforge were still huge focal points too.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:06 AM, Zoxe said:

Standing in line for the start of paint and take.  Here are some initial thoughts on year #2.

1. The footprint got a little bigger. That's a good indicator of growth.  The vendor hall is 50 to 100% bigger, with wider aisles and bigger booths.  Even then, Friday felt busier than last year and I'm a little scared to see the vendor hall today.

2. The vendor hall swapped ends with the free play area. The main stage moved downstairs.  While an improvement, that hall is really really noisy. 

3. Enforcer staff seem better informed.  I'm good at playing dumb and asking repeat questions to check for consistent answers. This is an improvement over last year where some of the volunteers weren't as informed as they could have been. (I don't blame the volunteers, but can blame the con mgmt for inducing confusion last year).

4. Event signups still stink. All of the events and classes are either signup the morning of, or via 3rd party.  Its impossible to get to all the signups at the same time and expect to get into much of anything.  We're approaching this casually, but if I were inclined to min/max our weekend, it would induce much nerd stress.

5. The map is improved but us still nonsensical in a few areas. Thankfully the informed staff got us straightened out.

6. LOOT!  I should buy stock in Broken Token. Found some good stuff for KDM.  Mrs. Zoxe found some terrain and bases at the Wyrd booth.  We'll peruse more today.  I'm hoping to demo the new Warhammet Quest board game.

More later!

Can't speak to the foot print.

But yeah- dealer hall/free play was REALLY noisy, especially Saturday.

Agreed staff seemed pretty well informed.

Yeah - signups sucked.  Especially trying to get into any of the miniature workshops.  They said they were opening the doors at 9.. so I got there at 9 Friday and they said they were sold out at like 8:20.  Got there at 8:10 on Sunday, and they didn't start doing tickets on Sunday until 9am.  And I still wasn't able to get into anything.  They really need to open up that space somehow.

Oh - the map was ridiculous.  The Expo hall map was fine.. it was the general 'convention layout' maps that were insane.. especially the ones for the non-main floor areas.

I had very little loot this time as I was on a tight budget.  Only thing I did was got to play a demo of Spirit Island, and went on Amazon to pick up that and the expansion.

Did get to meet up with at least one of my friends from DLG (and get introduced to a couple of other DLG members).. unfortunately the other main person behind DLG ended up in the hospital and wasn't able to attend :(

All in all - it was a good time, but I'd say it didn't offer much that I don't get from other cons I go to.  Don't know that I'd go again unless my friends were showing up again.

1 hour ago, Thomas Browne said:

Sorry @Zoxe - I wasn't checking forums over PAX - so missed this.  Sorry about not thinking of trying to meet up.

Did you have a good time?  I've never been to a con before.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Did you have a good time?  I've never been to a con before.

Once I got used to it.  Friday was a bit frustrating kind of for why Zoxe mentioned -- maps were not helpful, sign-ups were inconsistent/all over the place, etc.

Once I stopped trying to "optimize the day" and relax, it was a good time.

But as I said.. 5 hour drive that didn't really give me anything other cons don't (i.e. Origins) -- I don't know that it I'd do it again just because of the distance.

9 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

And yeah, Root was definitely a focal point.. although maybe not QUITE as much as I think @Zoxe thought.  Things like CMON, and Keyforge were still huge focal points too.

Aha, good point.  There were of course many booths and lots of great things to see - Wyrd, CMON, Keyforge, and at least two for Warhammer / Games Workshop IPs.  I think my surprise with Root's size and placement was in comparison to the TINY TINY booth they had at PAX-U last year.  

If I haven't mentioned, staying at the Marriott this year was totally the right call.  We spent less time coming and going from the 'con and could pop up to the room to dump off items, veg a bit, and didn't have to worry about a coat since it's all connected.  Last year we stayed at the Hampton Inn, which was a fine property but was on the "wrong" side of the convention center; logistically this just added a lot of fuss.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, Konas said:

PS. The Reading Terminal Market is amazing. @Lindsey grew up in Philly. I believe I won't hear the end of her disappointing moans about not going to PAXU for some time....

This is true I was pretty devastated to miss it this week. 

Leaving for Adepticon in a few hours.  Will be our first time there; a little nervous and not sure what to expect.  We took the whole day off, finished getting stuff together, took the cat to the vet for grooming, and right now I'm waiting for the Price is Right to start.

This weekend I'm hoping to spend time around Fort Wappel painting and hanging out; if you are near that booth/table and see a tall guy in a Kingdom Death shirt, ask him if he's Zoxe.

We have a few classes spread throughout the weekend with people we know from Reapercon, Miniature Monthly, and/or the intertube.  I'll be happy to see everyone again, but most excited to meet and take a class with Sam Lenz who will be new to us.  Although Adepticon is home of the Crystal Brush, I'm not entering anything in the painting contest - I will just be happy to see my Dropfleet ships hit the table during Thursday's narrative event. 

I'm more than a little nervous about the Dropfleet battle.  Technically, it will be my first time playing the game, and I'm stepping into a rather large, 2000 point fleet battle.  I think I'm prepared as I can be, and I've been in touch with the GM for the event, who is aware of my skill level.  I was expecting a much smaller fight (1350 points), and had to scramble to figure out a ship list that fit all the rules and got me to a larger fleet.  It's basically "bring everything you have assembled" and is in no-way optimized for any sort of "meta."  I just mentioned to Mrs. Zoxe that I'll consider it a success if I get to go 'weapons free' at least once with my Battlecruiser (i.e. get a big ship into position and "roll all the dice at once and kill things").  After that I can die a fiery death.

We're driving up, not a bad trip if we can miss traffic.  Not staying at the Renaissance but did get in a hotel just up the road.  Mmmmm, lobby breakfast.

42 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Leaving for Adepticon in a few hours.  Will be our first time there; a little nervous and not sure what to expect.  We took the whole day off, finished getting stuff together, took the cat to the vet for grooming, and right now I'm waiting for the Price is Right to start.

This weekend I'm hoping to spend time around Fort Wappel painting and hanging out; if you are near that booth/table and see a tall guy in a Kingdom Death shirt, ask him if he's Zoxe.

We have a few classes spread throughout the weekend with people we know from Reapercon, Miniature Monthly, and/or the intertube.  I'll be happy to see everyone again, but most excited to meet and take a class with Sam Lenz who will be new to us.  Although Adepticon is home of the Crystal Brush, I'm not entering anything in the painting contest - I will just be happy to see my Dropfleet ships hit the table during Thursday's narrative event. 

I'm more than a little nervous about the Dropfleet battle.  Technically, it will be my first time playing the game, and I'm stepping into a rather large, 2000 point fleet battle.  I think I'm prepared as I can be, and I've been in touch with the GM for the event, who is aware of my skill level.  I was expecting a much smaller fight (1350 points), and had to scramble to figure out a ship list that fit all the rules and got me to a larger fleet.  It's basically "bring everything you have assembled" and is in no-way optimized for any sort of "meta."  I just mentioned to Mrs. Zoxe that I'll consider it a success if I get to go 'weapons free' at least once with my Battlecruiser (i.e. get a big ship into position and "roll all the dice at once and kill things").  After that I can die a fiery death.

We're driving up, not a bad trip if we can miss traffic.  Not staying at the Renaissance but did get in a hotel just up the road.  Mmmmm, lobby breakfast.

You will do just fine.  Always keep in mind that it is gaming. Gaming is meant to be fun. Just enjoy the moment. Remember that you are a grown man playing with tiny starships. That alone should mean there's a smile on your face at all times.

3 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I sadly didn't know about Adepticon until this week when one of my friend's husbands is going to compete in some Star Wars CCG.  I'm visiting fam in Ohio this weekend otherwise I would have booked the trip.  Schaumberg is only a short jaunt for me! (25-30 mins).  I hope you have fun!

5 hours ago, Konas said:

You will do just fine.  Always keep in mind that it is gaming. Gaming is meant to be fun. Just enjoy the moment. Remember that you are a grown man playing with tiny starships. That alone should mean there's a smile on your face at all times.

Thanks!

That's exactly the feeling I'm chasing. There is another post from me somewhere on here talking about my struggles with xwing and "the meta" and hypercompetitive types.  I hate the feeling of being foolish or getting womped on by a "must win" gamer. My fav xwing games were huge scenarios at Gencon (trench run, 4v4 team battles, etc) where luck and strategy won the day (and not a highly tuned gimmick fleet list). 

There was a DFC tourney and separately this narrative event. I'm not a tourney player, so signed up for the latter. The GM seems cool. I'm nervous about not knowing the rules and nuances of deployment (for example) but plan to have fun blowing stuff up.

2 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

I sadly didn't know about Adepticon until this week when one of my friend's husbands is going to compete in some Star Wars CCG.  I'm visiting fam in Ohio this weekend otherwise I would have booked the trip.  Schaumberg is only a short jaunt for me! (25-30 mins).  I hope you have fun!

Wish we could have caught up. Maybe at gencon!

16 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Thanks!

That's exactly the feeling I'm chasing. There is another post from me somewhere on here talking about my struggles with xwing and "the meta" and hypercompetitive types.  I hate the feeling of being foolish or getting womped on by a "must win" gamer. My fav xwing games were huge scenarios at Gencon (trench run, 4v4 team battles, etc) where luck and strategy won the day (and not a highly tuned gimmick fleet list). 

There was a DFC tourney and separately this narrative event. I'm not a tourney player, so signed up for the latter. The GM seems cool. I'm nervous about not knowing the rules and nuances of deployment (for example) but plan to have fun blowing stuff up.

That's exactly how I felt at my first night of Friday Night Magic. I have also always had a secret dream of being a competitive Game Of Thrones LCG player. But, I know, I just don't have the time to devote to it to be actually competitive. So, I just make decks and play with @Lindsey. I would like to be competitive but not hypercompetitive, which most of the con players are in that game. 

We arrived safely, slayed the badge line monster last night, and are checking out the vendor hall. 

Here's where I'll be (making pew pew sounds and misquoting star wars) later today. 

20190328_102445.thumb.jpg.1beda3e1fdfacea51b85b8253c1e61ae.jpg

Dropfleet game was great, totally the vibe I wanted. We had 3 noobie players and 1 "friend of the company" that stood in for a no show at our table. Other tables were also similarly balanced. We played 2v2 along faction lines. I totally got to blow the crap out of some enemy ships (and then died gloriously). Scenario was close and came down to 1 victory point scored in the final Talley (50 to 51 points).

My fleet paint got a lot of positive comments, and had one guy stop and take pictures. Stripes was time well spent.

The rest of the weekend we're taking painting classes and vegging out. Adepticon is a good show. So far I prefer it over pax-u (not that pax was bad, but the organized play fits us better, the venue is a little better ... but alas there's no reading terminal market here).

Here's a pic or three of my ships in the fray.

20190328_165141.thumb.jpg.860183b37417f7b3d59d867e72bfae64.jpg20190328_190631.thumb.jpg.421441e6b01033cf89881ef4bbfb6d13.jpg20190328_190627.thumb.jpg.284d141859cd897f90d1781264d8fab1.jpg

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

It never sucks when people stop and take pictures of your handiwork.

Indeed not! I was awkwardly humble. Was odd at times to be pointed at and talked about.

The row of tables next to us was Freeblades. I bought a Freeblades starter at Reapercon and want to play, but didn't get a chance to check it out. They came in, played, and departed all while we were playing.

The row of tables behind me set up for maybe 10 games if Arena Rex, which from memory @Konas and @Lindsey are fond of. It looked super cool, but didn't get a chance to lurk much.  My game was 6 hrs, closer to 8 with setup and teardown, and I stepped away just once for a bio break.

My Game organizers said the scenario would return at Gencon, with tweaks.... in particular, fewer points.  My table did okay with carnage, but it took us a long while to get ships into combat range (cat and mouse tactics). Fewer ships to place would have sped this up. Our battlefield would have changed drastically in one more round, with many ships exchanging blows. The middle table was 1v1 and tore into each other. They ended early.  The third table was also 2v2 and played very cautiously and barely did any combat.

12 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Dropfleet game was great, totally the vibe I wanted. We had 3 noobie players and 1 "friend of the company" that stood in for a no show at our table. Other tables were also similarly balanced. We played 2v2 along faction lines. I totally got to blow the crap out of some enemy ships (and then died gloriously). Scenario was close and came down to 1 victory point scored in the final Talley (50 to 51 points).

My fleet paint got a lot of positive comments, and had one guy stop and take pictures. Stripes was time well spent.

The rest of the weekend we're taking painting classes and vegging out. Adepticon is a good show. So far I prefer it over pax-u (not that pax was bad, but the organized play fits us better, the venue is a little better ... but alas there's no reading terminal market here).

Here's a pic or three of my ships in the fray.

20190328_165141.thumb.jpg.860183b37417f7b3d59d867e72bfae64.jpg20190328_190631.thumb.jpg.421441e6b01033cf89881ef4bbfb6d13.jpg20190328_190627.thumb.jpg.284d141859cd897f90d1781264d8fab1.jpg

Wow, that looks chaotic. I can see why it takes so long to play. Nice work. I am sure you were proud to have someone stop and take pics.

13 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Indeed not! I was awkwardly humble. Was odd at times to be pointed at and talked about.

The row of tables next to us was Freeblades. I bought a Freeblades starter at Reapercon and want to play, but didn't get a chance to check it out. They came in, played, and departed all while we were playing.

The row of tables behind me set up for maybe 10 games if Arena Rex, which from memory @Konas and @Lindsey are fond of. It looked super cool, but didn't get a chance to lurk much.  My game was 6 hrs, closer to 8 with setup and teardown, and I stepped away just once for a bio break.

My Game organizers said the scenario would return at Gencon, with tweaks.... in particular, fewer points.  My table did okay with carnage, but it took us a long while to get ships into combat range (cat and mouse tactics). Fewer ships to place would have sped this up. Our battlefield would have changed drastically in one more round, with many ships exchanging blows. The middle table was 1v1 and tore into each other. They ended early.  The third table was also 2v2 and played very cautiously and barely did any combat.

Yes, on Arena Rex. The models are amazing. They can be tough to assemble but not terrible, like Malifaux. Its a great intro into skirmish games like Guild Ball, Monsterpocalypse, etc.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:53 AM, Zoxe said:

It's nearly impossible to get a room with the Convention center.  Luckily I have a friend who is dedicated to handling that each year, but those rooms sell out literally within an hour of them announcing booking opening.

I'm not there this year (Sad day, new job ruining my fun), but I sure as heck will be next.  I was thinking about painting up my Age of Sigmar stuff by then and jumping into a slightly different game.

3 hours ago, Treelamp said:

It's nearly impossible to get a room with the Convention center.  Luckily I have a friend who is dedicated to handling that each year, but those rooms sell out literally within an hour of them announcing booking opening.

I'm not there this year (Sad day, new job ruining my fun), but I sure as heck will be next.  I was thinking about painting up my Age of Sigmar stuff by then and jumping into a slightly different game.

Yah, I was surprised to find that out when rooms went live. Being in the bldg would be cool, but it really doesn't matter. We're just across the parking lot at the Embassy Suites. It's not a bad walk and I collect Hilton points anyway. 

I'll type up some first timer thoughts later, but we're walking away impressed. 

On 3/30/2019 at 6:44 PM, Zoxe said:

Yah, I was surprised to find that out when rooms went live. Being in the bldg would be cool, but it really doesn't matter. We're just across the parking lot at the Embassy Suites. It's not a bad walk and I collect Hilton points anyway. 

I'll type up some first timer thoughts later, but we're walking away impressed. 

No doubt, Adepticon is one of my favorite cons I attend.

My friends and I typically only go into the GW side of things, but it offers a hell of a lot there.  I have played a few demo games there which are very interesting.  In particular one small game company hosts a booth there and does a fully provided demo slots which are scenarios displaying their worlds story, and actively progressing the ongoing story of their game.  Which is really cool to be involved in, but they are such a small company lol.  The game is like, Aether something, I think?  Aetherium, took some searching.

It's a bit rough on the pocket though.  Way too much cool stuff to buy out there 😱

Quiet presale for Reapercon tickets went up over the weekend to test the site out. Official announcement maybe today. I was able to get in via a link on the reaper forums. 

5 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Quiet presale for Reapercon tickets went up over the weekend to test the site out. Official announcement maybe today. I was able to get in via a link on the reaper forums. 

That's like PAX Unplugged tickets go on sale Thursday.

Unfortunately I can't make it this year :(  Conflicts with one of my local cons.

Someday I will make a con wish there was a good one in Canada. I haven't crossed the border in like 15 years.

4 minutes ago, marsniper_27 said:

Someday I will make a con wish there was a good one in Canada. I haven't crossed the border in like 15 years.

Shut Up and Sit Down does a con in Vancouver. Lindsey goes every year.

1 minute ago, Konas said:

Shut Up and Sit Down does a con in Vancouver. Lindsey goes every year.

Vancouver doesn't suck.