Welcome to Dog Might

By Lindsey

Ready to Roll?

By Lindsey

Countdown: Action Edition

By Lindsey

Mighty Dice Back In Stock!

Posted (edited)

So, what are everyone's convention plans this year?

1. We start every year with putting a pin in Gencon weekend.  Historically it's been the only show we attend until we branched out last year.  Beyond gaming, Gencon also serves as a reunion of new and old friends (in particular, a group from college that have attended far longer than I have).  
  2. We are NOT doing Adepticon this year. I've heard good things about it, it's pretty close and we could stay with my brother for free, but alas it conflicts with another major family trip
  3. We ARE attending Miniature Monthly Boot Camp the weekend before Adepticon, which is also in Chicago.  This is a paid 2 day how2paint tutoring session, very excited.
  4. PAX Unplugged seems like a definite attend for us.  We enjoyed Philly far more than we expected, though I feel like I should get more in tune with the PAX way of doing things. It looks like it moved weekends this year into December, which really helps us.
  5. Reapercon is on our radar.  I actually have a hotel reserved but we'll decide later if we can justify the expense/distance.
  6. EDIT:  I forgot Origins!  If we head over, it will be for the weekend only.  The way our vacation time accrues, we can have days later in the year but are tight early/mid - meaning no time for a fully attended Origins.

Edited by Zoxe

1.  Dragon*Con is my "put a pin in" con -- went to school in Atlanta.. it's my one chance to see friends as well as do a con.

2.  May go out to World Boardgaming Championships for a couple of days since it's in/around Pittsburgh.

3.  Definitely looking into PAX Unplugged

I’m West Coast-based, but the con I am most likely to attend this year will be PAX Unplugged in Philly.  Much like @Thomas Browne with Atlanta, I went to school and lived in Philly for many years so it would be a great opportunity to see friends.  Plus Philly is awesome.  When the time grows closer I will pass on all my recommends for eating and boozing there. Reading Terminal Market is a godsend for people experiencing long convention center days.

22 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

Reading Terminal Market is a godsend for people experiencing long convention center days.

We went last year without many specific plans, and had Reading Terminal Market recommended to us by another convention attendee while waiting for the paint and take.  So glad we found it.  Is on our list for our next trip!

I went to GrandCon last year as my first con experience and on the recommendation of @Konas I'm thinking a little bigger and going to go to Origins next year.  It's in June I believe.  Still have to buy tickets but their ticket options confuse me.

@Barb Bliss you should come to Origins.  It's in an amazing city of champions that is Columbus, Ohio ;) 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

I went to GrandCon last year as my first con experience and on the recommendation of @Konas I'm thinking a little bigger and going to go to Origins next year.  It's in June I believe.  Still have to buy tickets but their ticket options confuse me.

@Barb Bliss you should come to Origins.  It's in an amazing city of champions that is Columbus, Ohio ;) 

My birthday is June 17th.  You could give me a present and maybe some cake.

p.s. "Greater Columbus" sounds like an oxymoron...

Edited by Barb Bliss

7 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I'm going to sound like a zero, but I've never been to a con of any kind before.

I think you would really love them!

On 3/9/2018 at 7:34 AM, Barb Bliss said:

I'm going to sound like a zero, but I've never been to a con of any kind before.

Me either Barb. Although as each year passes, my motivation to get to one gets stronger. Since I don't have a game group or a spouse that's as into games as I am though it's a little tougher since I would effectively be going on my own.

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

Me either Barb. Although as each year passes, my motivation to get to one gets stronger. Since I don't have a game group or a spouse that's as into games as I am though it's a little tougher since I would effectively be going on my own.

I know a few guys like Jaemus and his kid that go to the bigger ones, and I could probably meet up or tag along.  But the older I get, the more annoying I find crowds, traffic, and price gouging.  And it doesn't help that none of these seem to be remotely close to Minnesota.  Why nothing happens in Chicago is a mystery to me.

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

I know a few guys like Jaemus and his kid that go to the bigger ones, and I could probably meet up or tag along.  But the older I get, the more annoying I find crowds, traffic, and price gouging.  And it doesn't help that none of these seem to be remotely close to Minnesota.  Why nothing happens in Chicago is a mystery to me.

Great point about Chicago. Everything else that happens there and we can't get a gaming convention?

Milwaukee has one called the Nexus Game Fair, since that's only like 40 minutes away from me I might try it out sometime, but their site doesn't have a ton of information on it, and I haven't been able to find a lot of useful information elsewhere on the interwebs.

9 minutes ago, Adam said:

Great point about Chicago. Everything else that happens there and we can't get a gaming convention?

Milwaukee has one called the Nexus Game Fair, since that's only like 40 minutes away from me I might try it out sometime, but their site doesn't have a ton of information on it, and I haven't been able to find a lot of useful information elsewhere on the interwebs.

Milwaukee is only about 5.5 hours away from me.  I should check this out at least.  Maybe we could meet up and compare dice :)

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Milwaukee is only about 5.5 hours away from me.  I should check this out at least.  Maybe we could meet up and compare dice :)

Here is the link to their site, http://www.nexusgamefair.com/ hopefully your bank allows it.

If I knew there were other people I knew attending, that would certainly increase my motivation. 

And by, "compare dice" do you mean steal my Pau Rosa? ;)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

Here is the link to their site, http://www.nexusgamefair.com/ hopefully your bank allows it.

If I knew there were other people I knew attending, that would certainly increase my motivation. 

And by, "compare dice" do you mean steal my Pau Rosa? ;)

I could see the page, but the contact us link was blocked.  Go figure.  Maybe next year???  I'm stuck being at the office (while others are on PTO) during that time frame this year.

p.s. I don't steal...

• Like 1

@Adam, I sent an email to the site contact.  Below is her response.

Ah!  Good questions, and yes, I do feel like the site caters to people who are very familiar with gaming, and appreciate your feedback! 

There are three main types of games at the game fair: board games, miniatures and role-playing games.  We will have a schedule of events (scheduled gaming) posted in late April that attendees will be able to register for in advance online.  You will have the opportunity to sign up to learn new games, that are taught by our "game masters" who know the games thoroughly.  Our board game library (400 games) will also be posted in late April, which shows the list of games that we will have for open gaming.  Attendees may borrow a game from the library to play at any time in our open gaming tables. You can even request a teacher for these games, or look for players wanted signs to learn a game.  If you could research role playing game and miniature gaming, you could be prepared for these types of games.... however, no experience is necessary!  All of the game masters welcome new people and are glad to teach.

The dealers are board game stores, artists, and game publishers.    

We will also have tournaments involving train games, a popular game called Catan, and I'm in negotiations to get more tournaments that offer rewards. It is a very fun environment with many helpful, happy people!

We also have what are called "play to win" games that you can play, add your name to that game's list of player, and then we do a drawing to select a player to go home with that game!  

I certainly appreciate your feedback and will make a "Gaming 101" page to add to our site! Please continue asking questions, and I'll be glad to help.  

Monica Rasso

General Manager, Nexus Game Fair 2018

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Ah!  Good questions, and yes, I do feel like the site caters to people who are very familiar with gaming, and appreciate your feedback! 

There are three main types of games at the game fair: board games, miniatures and role-playing games.  We will have a schedule of events (scheduled gaming) posted in late April that attendees will be able to register for in advance online.  You will have the opportunity to sign up to learn new games, that are taught by our "game masters" who know the games thoroughly.  Our board game library (400 games) will also be posted in late April, which shows the list of games that we will have for open gaming.  Attendees may borrow a game from the library to play at any time in our open gaming tables. You can even request a teacher for these games, or look for players wanted signs to learn a game.  If you could research role playing game and miniature gaming, you could be prepared for these types of games.... however, no experience is necessary!  All of the game masters welcome new people and are glad to teach.

We will also have tournaments involving train games, a popular game called Catan, and I'm in negotiations to get more tournaments that offer rewards. It is a very fun environment with many helpful, happy people!

We also have what are called "play to win" games that you can play, add your name to that game's list of player, and then we do a drawing to select a player to go home with that game!  

I certainly appreciate your feedback and will make a "Gaming 101" page to add to our site! Please continue asking questions, and I'll be glad to help.  

Monica Rasso

Thanks for reaching out. I think for me finding tables with players wanted would be perfect for me. Perhaps I'll take a day and make a trip up and see what it's all about this year. Starting to sound like a really good idea.

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

Monica Rasso

This sounds awesome! I love that they are trying to cater to new players like that. It must be easier with it being so small, compared to cons like GenCon, etc.

23 minutes ago, Zoe said:

This sounds awesome! I love that they are trying to cater to new players like that. It must be easier with it being so small, compared to cons like GenCon, etc.

Yeah, I would love the experience of a larger con, but really I just want an opportunity to be in the same place as a bunch of other people who want to play a lot of games. And I suppose drop some cash on some new shiny games.

• Like 1

@Barb Bliss I just realized too that the hotel this is at is actually across from the Milwaukee airport, I can get there in a half hour. This is now a no-brainer for since I don't even have to drive into the city.

Alright, I figure the best way for me to finally clear the hurdle of going to a convention since it will probably be on my own is to just force the issue. I bought my pass for the Nexus Game Fair in May, so I will check it out and share my findings.

• Like 3