18 hours ago, Konas said:

PS. The Reading Terminal Market is amazing. @Lindsey grew up in Philly. I believe I won't hear the end of her disappointing moans about not going to PAXU for some time....

That it is.. Insane.. but amazing.  Definitely a nice break for food from the 'con food'.

23 hours ago, Zoe said:

Did anybody get in on the giant version of ROOT?!

No - I didn't even manage to get in on a demo of Root at all, despite trying multiple times.  Did see this though.

And yeah, Root was definitely a focal point.. although maybe not QUITE as much as I think @Zoxe thought.  Things like CMON, and Keyforge were still huge focal points too.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:06 AM, Zoxe said:

Standing in line for the start of paint and take.  Here are some initial thoughts on year #2.

1. The footprint got a little bigger. That's a good indicator of growth.  The vendor hall is 50 to 100% bigger, with wider aisles and bigger booths.  Even then, Friday felt busier than last year and I'm a little scared to see the vendor hall today.

2. The vendor hall swapped ends with the free play area. The main stage moved downstairs.  While an improvement, that hall is really really noisy. 

3. Enforcer staff seem better informed.  I'm good at playing dumb and asking repeat questions to check for consistent answers. This is an improvement over last year where some of the volunteers weren't as informed as they could have been. (I don't blame the volunteers, but can blame the con mgmt for inducing confusion last year).

4. Event signups still stink. All of the events and classes are either signup the morning of, or via 3rd party.  Its impossible to get to all the signups at the same time and expect to get into much of anything.  We're approaching this casually, but if I were inclined to min/max our weekend, it would induce much nerd stress.

5. The map is improved but us still nonsensical in a few areas. Thankfully the informed staff got us straightened out.

6. LOOT!  I should buy stock in Broken Token. Found some good stuff for KDM.  Mrs. Zoxe found some terrain and bases at the Wyrd booth.  We'll peruse more today.  I'm hoping to demo the new Warhammet Quest board game.

More later!

Can't speak to the foot print.

But yeah- dealer hall/free play was REALLY noisy, especially Saturday.

Agreed staff seemed pretty well informed.

Yeah - signups sucked.  Especially trying to get into any of the miniature workshops.  They said they were opening the doors at 9.. so I got there at 9 Friday and they said they were sold out at like 8:20.  Got there at 8:10 on Sunday, and they didn't start doing tickets on Sunday until 9am.  And I still wasn't able to get into anything.  They really need to open up that space somehow.

Oh - the map was ridiculous.  The Expo hall map was fine.. it was the general 'convention layout' maps that were insane.. especially the ones for the non-main floor areas.

I had very little loot this time as I was on a tight budget.  Only thing I did was got to play a demo of Spirit Island, and went on Amazon to pick up that and the expansion.

Did get to meet up with at least one of my friends from DLG (and get introduced to a couple of other DLG members).. unfortunately the other main person behind DLG ended up in the hospital and wasn't able to attend :(

All in all - it was a good time, but I'd say it didn't offer much that I don't get from other cons I go to.  Don't know that I'd go again unless my friends were showing up again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Browne said:

Sorry @Zoxe - I wasn't checking forums over PAX - so missed this.  Sorry about not thinking of trying to meet up.

Did you have a good time?  I've never been to a con before.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Did you have a good time?  I've never been to a con before.

Once I got used to it.  Friday was a bit frustrating kind of for why Zoxe mentioned -- maps were not helpful, sign-ups were inconsistent/all over the place, etc.

Once I stopped trying to "optimize the day" and relax, it was a good time.

But as I said.. 5 hour drive that didn't really give me anything other cons don't (i.e. Origins) -- I don't know that it I'd do it again just because of the distance.

9 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

And yeah, Root was definitely a focal point.. although maybe not QUITE as much as I think @Zoxe thought.  Things like CMON, and Keyforge were still huge focal points too.

Aha, good point.  There were of course many booths and lots of great things to see - Wyrd, CMON, Keyforge, and at least two for Warhammer / Games Workshop IPs.  I think my surprise with Root's size and placement was in comparison to the TINY TINY booth they had at PAX-U last year.  

If I haven't mentioned, staying at the Marriott this year was totally the right call.  We spent less time coming and going from the 'con and could pop up to the room to dump off items, veg a bit, and didn't have to worry about a coat since it's all connected.  Last year we stayed at the Hampton Inn, which was a fine property but was on the "wrong" side of the convention center; logistically this just added a lot of fuss.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, Konas said:

PS. The Reading Terminal Market is amazing. @Lindsey grew up in Philly. I believe I won't hear the end of her disappointing moans about not going to PAXU for some time....

This is true I was pretty devastated to miss it this week. 

• Sad 1