I have returned from a quick weekend getaway to Milwaukee with the family which included some time spent at the Nexus Game Fair. It was a good experience, albeit a bit of a learning one, but I'm glad I went, and I will definitely go back again. The next time though I will have a bit more of a game plan. I definitely will want to make sure I get registered for some games the next time, and I plan on staying in the loop via Facebook throughout the year as a way to perhaps build some relationships to help in breaking the ice. However, one of the games I did play was Vikings Gone Wild. It was a fun and light deck builder and I had a good time with it. Anyway, hopefully my experience will grow a bit next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adam said:

I have returned from a quick weekend getaway to Milwaukee with the family which included some time spent at the Nexus Game Fair. It was a good experience, albeit a bit of a learning one, but I'm glad I went, and I will definitely go back again. The next time though I will have a bit more of a game plan. I definitely will want to make sure I get registered for some games the next time, and I plan on staying in the loop via Facebook throughout the year as a way to perhaps build some relationships to help in breaking the ice. However, one of the games I did play was Vikings Gone Wild. It was a fun and light deck builder and I had a good time with it. Anyway, hopefully my experience will grow a bit next year.

So does the game Vikings Gone Wild feature any Vikings named Mike?  And do they visit a wood shop at any time?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

So does the game Vikings Gone Wild feature any Vikings named Mike?  And do they visit a wood shop at any time?

There was none of that in the game. I considered a giant flaw and inaccuracy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2018 at 6:55 PM, Zoxe said:

So, what are everyone's convention plans this year?

1. We start every year with putting a pin in Gencon weekend.  Historically it's been the only show we attend until we branched out last year.  Beyond gaming, Gencon also serves as a reunion of new and old friends (in particular, a group from college that have attended far longer than I have).  
  2. We are NOT doing Adepticon this year. I've heard good things about it, it's pretty close and we could stay with my brother for free, but alas it conflicts with another major family trip
  3. We ARE attending Miniature Monthly Boot Camp the weekend before Adepticon, which is also in Chicago.  This is a paid 2 day how2paint tutoring session, very excited.
  4. PAX Unplugged seems like a definite attend for us.  We enjoyed Philly far more than we expected, though I feel like I should get more in tune with the PAX way of doing things. It looks like it moved weekends this year into December, which really helps us.
  5. Reapercon is on our radar.  I actually have a hotel reserved but we'll decide later if we can justify the expense/distance.
  6. EDIT:  I forgot Origins!  If we head over, it will be for the weekend only.  The way our vacation time accrues, we can have days later in the year but are tight early/mid - meaning no time for a fully attended Origins.

Here's an early JUNE update for all things Conventiony.

1. GenCon event signup day came, and once again we got shafted by a high queue number (similar things happened last year).  All of the gaming I wanted were sold out (KDM, Shadows of Brimstone, painting with Elizabeth Beckley). We regrouped but our 2nd choices were sold out as well. Another scramble and we're now signed up for some of the Author panels with James S.A. Corey (authors of the Expanse, my 2nd favorite book series ever!!).  I also got into a casual Dropfleet battle on Sunday, but that means I have to actually finish assembling my fleet by August!!  Pressure!
  2. Maybe next year for Adepticon.
  3. MM Boot Camp was not a "convention," but was very awesome.  So much compressed learning that I'm still unpacking it from my brain.
  4. PAX Unplugged tickets went live and we have a room at the Marriott, per my posts above.
  5. We're signed up for a road trip to Texas and Reapercon.  Attendee tickets are bought, and we're waiting for the event tickets to go live.
  6. Can't attend Origins. :( Family stuff that weekend.

• Like 1