I have returned from a quick weekend getaway to Milwaukee with the family which included some time spent at the Nexus Game Fair. It was a good experience, albeit a bit of a learning one, but I'm glad I went, and I will definitely go back again. The next time though I will have a bit more of a game plan. I definitely will want to make sure I get registered for some games the next time, and I plan on staying in the loop via Facebook throughout the year as a way to perhaps build some relationships to help in breaking the ice. However, one of the games I did play was Vikings Gone Wild. It was a fun and light deck builder and I had a good time with it. Anyway, hopefully my experience will grow a bit next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adam said:

I have returned from a quick weekend getaway to Milwaukee with the family which included some time spent at the Nexus Game Fair. It was a good experience, albeit a bit of a learning one, but I'm glad I went, and I will definitely go back again. The next time though I will have a bit more of a game plan. I definitely will want to make sure I get registered for some games the next time, and I plan on staying in the loop via Facebook throughout the year as a way to perhaps build some relationships to help in breaking the ice. However, one of the games I did play was Vikings Gone Wild. It was a fun and light deck builder and I had a good time with it. Anyway, hopefully my experience will grow a bit next year.

So does the game Vikings Gone Wild feature any Vikings named Mike?  And do they visit a wood shop at any time?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

So does the game Vikings Gone Wild feature any Vikings named Mike?  And do they visit a wood shop at any time?

There was none of that in the game. I considered a giant flaw and inaccuracy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2018 at 6:55 PM, Zoxe said:

So, what are everyone's convention plans this year?

1. We start every year with putting a pin in Gencon weekend.  Historically it's been the only show we attend until we branched out last year.  Beyond gaming, Gencon also serves as a reunion of new and old friends (in particular, a group from college that have attended far longer than I have).  
  2. We are NOT doing Adepticon this year. I've heard good things about it, it's pretty close and we could stay with my brother for free, but alas it conflicts with another major family trip
  3. We ARE attending Miniature Monthly Boot Camp the weekend before Adepticon, which is also in Chicago.  This is a paid 2 day how2paint tutoring session, very excited.
  4. PAX Unplugged seems like a definite attend for us.  We enjoyed Philly far more than we expected, though I feel like I should get more in tune with the PAX way of doing things. It looks like it moved weekends this year into December, which really helps us.
  5. Reapercon is on our radar.  I actually have a hotel reserved but we'll decide later if we can justify the expense/distance.
  6. EDIT:  I forgot Origins!  If we head over, it will be for the weekend only.  The way our vacation time accrues, we can have days later in the year but are tight early/mid - meaning no time for a fully attended Origins.

Here's an early JUNE update for all things Conventiony.

1. GenCon event signup day came, and once again we got shafted by a high queue number (similar things happened last year).  All of the gaming I wanted were sold out (KDM, Shadows of Brimstone, painting with Elizabeth Beckley). We regrouped but our 2nd choices were sold out as well. Another scramble and we're now signed up for some of the Author panels with James S.A. Corey (authors of the Expanse, my 2nd favorite book series ever!!).  I also got into a casual Dropfleet battle on Sunday, but that means I have to actually finish assembling my fleet by August!!  Pressure!
  2. Maybe next year for Adepticon.
  3. MM Boot Camp was not a "convention," but was very awesome.  So much compressed learning that I'm still unpacking it from my brain.
  4. PAX Unplugged tickets went live and we have a room at the Marriott, per my posts above.
  5. We're signed up for a road trip to Texas and Reapercon.  Attendee tickets are bought, and we're waiting for the event tickets to go live.
  6. Can't attend Origins. :( Family stuff that weekend.

• Like 1

I noticed via my various nerd newsfeeds that the Adepticon hotel block was going up last Monday. 

I tried to get in and failed - apparently the entire block sold out in 30 minutes and the hotel's servers crashed. 

I grabbed a fully refundable room at the Embassy Suites next door.  So we're tentatively going to Adepticon next March!

No Gencon for me this year but maybe next.  We’ll see.  I want to do origins next.

grandcon is likely with it being fairly close.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

No Gencon for me this year but maybe next.  We’ll see.  I want to do origins next.

grandcon is likely with it being fairly close.  

We'd also like to do Origins.  

Gencon is rapidly approaching.  So far I've avoided the work travel that the office keeps trying to send me on; but I'm not going to be able to avoid the trip the week after (I was hoping to take the Monday after Gencon off but alas, I'll need to be en route).

I hit a point last weekend with the Dropfleet fleet that I was trying to decide what corners to cut to have the models on the table at Gencon.  After a year of scheming about how I wanted that Fleet, and the $$ and time I have invested, I decided I didn't want to sacrifice quality to hit an arbitrary date.  So I'm going to drop out of that event and free up most of Gencon Saturday and allow me to spend more time with friends I only see once a year or so.  It hurts, because I wanted to PLAY, and I don't like to "fail" but the pressure was all self-imposed.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Zoxe said:

We'd also like to do Origins.  

Gencon is rapidly approaching.  So far I've avoided the work travel that the office keeps trying to send me on; but I'm not going to be able to avoid the trip the week after (I was hoping to take the Monday after Gencon off but alas, I'll need to be en route).

I hit a point last weekend with the Dropfleet fleet that I was trying to decide what corners to cut to have the models on the table at Gencon.  After a year of scheming about how I wanted that Fleet, and the $$ and time I have invested, I decided I didn't want to sacrifice quality to hit an arbitrary date.  So I'm going to drop out of that event and free up most of Gencon Saturday and allow me to spend more time with friends I only see once a year or so.  It hurts, because I wanted to PLAY, and I don't like to "fail" but the pressure was all self-imposed.

I used to be obsessive compulsive on things (particularly the yard).  One of the few advantages of getting old is nothing is that important to go way past what's sensible.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:20 PM, tgpumpkin said:

I want to do origins next.

I would really like to do Origins at some point. 

We start driving for Reapercon tomorrow!

There's a welcome dinner on Wednesday that we're going to try to make.  Otherwise the actual convention runs Thu through Sun.  We have a few painting classes scheduled, and one play thru of the new Pathfinder. It sounds like a lot of the other games are just walk up and look for an empty chair.  DMG kickstarter dice and dice sheathes will be in use!  

• Like 1

Currently driving across Missouri. First four hours were like driving in a washing machine! Omg the rain.  We'll stop in Joplin for lunch and are currently on track to make it to TX in time for the pizza party welcome dinner. 

We left work early last night and after a quick run home, got on the road. Actually set the Miniature Market physical store as our destination to make full use of our geeky road trip. Told the shop staff what we were doing and they appeared pleased and honored to be part of our tour.

20180828_202144.jpg

• Like 4

Hello from Texas!  Got in last night after a long day on the road, but was able to attend the meet and greet last night and put a few names with faces from the Reaper forums. 

This is a much (much) smaller event than I'm used to. This one hotel is very new, and huge, but our entire convention takes up only a part of it.  It's interesting watching the business traveler muggles take in the sea of black shirts and long hair in the lobby. ?

Small also means much more personal and less crazy than Gencon. We've already met some great folks.

Our first painting class is in about 45 mins, and then we'll do some shopping in the vendor hall and maybe a Reaper factory tour.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

It's interesting watching the business traveler muggles take in the sea of black shirts and long hair in the lobby. ?

HAHA! 

I've started typing a few times to consolidate some of my Reapercon thoughts.  Nothing I've written yet really conveys exactly what happened to us.  "We had a great/wonderful/excellent/terrific time" is kind of cliche.

We signed up not really knowing what to expect.  What we found is that Reapercon is first and foremost about the painting aspect of the hobby.  Secondarily, it's about D&D and a smattering of other tabletop systems.  I saw just a handful of board games in play, but there were acres of tabletop RPGs. But painting, lots of painting.  

The people at attend Reapercon are a tight knit crew and quite fantastic.  It's not a "small" con, but it's far smaller than PAX-U, and it goes on for 4+ full days (with most people arriving Wednesday evening for the pre-party and many staying through to Monday morning before setting off for home, so it's almost 6 days for many). 

Here's the part that I have trouble describing:  we got adopted by two groups and then met friends-of-friends and friends-of-friends-of-friends.  After 5 Gencons, 3 Blizzcons, a PAX-U, and random visits to the game stores near us, I feel like I can find common ground and have a pleasant conversation with most nerds.  But in the small confines of a mult-day event, those incidental encounters were compounded with repeat conversations.  We started Wednesday night awkward and anonymous, but went up to our room on Sunday with handshakes and hugs.  It all happened in a blur, but looking back at how the weekend evolved, it couldn't have happened any other way - and could have never been planned or premeditated.  

So, we had a great time; already talking about next year.

• Like 3

@Zoxe, glad you had a blast. I like how it feels like a close community. People getting to know each other. Sounds like a great con to visit.

PAX Unplugged is a week from today!!  Good gravy where has the year gone??

We have nothing specific planned.  No events, no 3rd party RPG signups, no master plans.  Totally winging it.  Our priorities consist of Christmas shopping, eating like mad at the Reading Terminal Market, and of course copious amounts of lurking at the DMG booth.

Edit:  Our plans are a little nuts next week.  I'll be on a whirlwind trip to Washington DC for work, flying back home on Wednesday (if I could stay in place, I totally would).  Working nearly a full day on Thursday, then we'll start driving back to the east coast after work.  Should get to the show floor sometime around lunch on Friday.  We're staying in the Marriott this time, which will make logistics a LOT easier.  We'll start driving home Sunday afternoon, or perhaps Monday morning if we choose to cannonball run it. 

Edited by Zoxe
  • Like 2

Just arrived on the PAX U show floor. Wiped out by traffic and general dumbassery around the Marriott.  If @Thomas Browne is around and wants to shake hands, ping me here!

• Haha 1

Standing in line for the start of paint and take.  Here are some initial thoughts on year #2.

1. The footprint got a little bigger. That's a good indicator of growth.  The vendor hall is 50 to 100% bigger, with wider aisles and bigger booths.  Even then, Friday felt busier than last year and I'm a little scared to see the vendor hall today.

2. The vendor hall swapped ends with the free play area. The main stage moved downstairs.  While an improvement, that hall is really really noisy. 

3. Enforcer staff seem better informed.  I'm good at playing dumb and asking repeat questions to check for consistent answers. This is an improvement over last year where some of the volunteers weren't as informed as they could have been. (I don't blame the volunteers, but can blame the con mgmt for inducing confusion last year).

4. Event signups still stink. All of the events and classes are either signup the morning of, or via 3rd party.  Its impossible to get to all the signups at the same time and expect to get into much of anything.  We're approaching this casually, but if I were inclined to min/max our weekend, it would induce much nerd stress.

5. The map is improved but us still nonsensical in a few areas. Thankfully the informed staff got us straightened out.

6. LOOT!  I should buy stock in Broken Token. Found some good stuff for KDM.  Mrs. Zoxe found some terrain and bases at the Wyrd booth.  We'll peruse more today.  I'm hoping to demo the new Warhammet Quest board game.

More later!

• Like 2

Sounds like you had a blast, @Zoxe, even when fining your way around was sometimes confusing. Do you buy any new games?

Did anybody get in on the giant version of ROOT?!

16 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Sounds like you had a blast, @Zoxe, even when fining your way around was sometimes confusing. Do you buy any new games?

We are now home safely.  Originally, I had planned to leave Philly after lunch Sunday and then make it part-way, and scheduled today as a vacation day. 

We actually departed a little early yesterday and didn't actually attend any of the Sunday 'con.  Instead, we made one last pass at Reading Terminal Market and then did a Cannonball Run across several states to arrive home late last night.  We slept in today, got some errands ran, put the Christmas tree up, and I spent a couple hours in the garage/shop cleaning stuff and preparing for some major lumberjacking this winter.

Games:  We did a learn2play of Arcadia Quest Riders with CMON and got some cool schwag.  We also played Tiny Epic Zombies in the hotel room and some weird dice-rolling sheep collecting game that Mrs. Zoxe brought along.  

Loot: 

• Arcadia Quest Inferno (Christmas present for the Mrs.). 
  • Organizers for KDM at Broken Token
  • Generic card stack organizers from Broken Token
  • Some new colors of paint at the Reaper booth
  • Malifaux bases and landscape pieces from Wyrd
  • Figure holder for painting

I checked out the new Warhammer Quest but stayed strong and didn't procure.  We demo'd Cat Lady and enjoyed it; I bought a copy this morning from Amazon for Mrs. Zoxe's Christmas.

@Konas  The Root booth was very much front and center, and I would say was a major focal point of the show floor.  We found Root last PAX-U and I backed their KS on the spot; makes me proud to see them getting such good attention.  On the downside, tho - I tried to get in and demo Vast but kept getting elbow'd out.  I didn't see the giant version of Root. :(  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zoxe said:

We are now home safely.  Originally, I had planned to leave Philly after lunch Sunday and then make it part-way, and scheduled today as a vacation day. 

We actually departed a little early yesterday and didn't actually attend any of the Sunday 'con.  Instead, we made one last pass at Reading Terminal Market and then did a Cannonball Run across several states to arrive home late last night.  We slept in today, got some errands ran, put the Christmas tree up, and I spent a couple hours in the garage/shop cleaning stuff and preparing for some major lumberjacking this winter.

Games:  We did a learn2play of Arcadia Quest Riders with CMON and got some cool schwag.  We also played Tiny Epic Zombies in the hotel room and some weird dice-rolling sheep collecting game that Mrs. Zoxe brought along.  

Loot: 

I checked out the new Warhammer Quest but stayed strong and didn't procure.  We demo'd Cat Lady and enjoyed it; I bought a copy this morning from Amazon for Mrs. Zoxe's Christmas.

@Konas  The Root booth was very much front and center, and I would say was a major focal point of the show floor.  We found Root last PAX-U and I backed their KS on the spot; makes me proud to see them getting such good attention.  On the downside, tho - I tried to get in and demo Vast but kept getting elbow'd out.  I didn't see the giant version of Root. :(  

Sounds like a good time. Hearing about the specs of what you saw made me miss it more. Wish we could have gone but, in hindsight, we clearly made the right decision. Missed seeing you and Mrs. Zoxe. Tell her I said hello. I really wanted to walk around the Con with you and check out some new stuff. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Loot: 

PS. The Reading Terminal Market is amazing. @Lindsey grew up in Philly. I believe I won't hear the end of her disappointing moans about not going to PAXU for some time....

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 1:58 PM, Zoxe said:

Just arrived on the PAX U show floor. Wiped out by traffic and general dumbassery around the Marriott.  If @Thomas Browne is around and wants to shake hands, ping me here!

Sorry @Zoxe - I wasn't checking forums over PAX - so missed this.  Sorry about not thinking of trying to meet up.