6 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Yah, I figured we'd rebook if there were decent deals.  We booked late last year and got into the Hampton Inn on Race Street to the the north side of the convention center.  It's a fine hotel, but was on the wrong side of the center and not a lot of dinner food in easy walking distance.  I checked my receipt from last year vs the AAA rate I was being quoted tonight and it was in the same ballpark.  Currently we're in the Marriot, which is connected to the convention center and easy access to Reading Terminal Market.

For Reapercon, we got into the Embassy Suites where the convention is held.

Love Reading Terminal! Now I want a roast pork sandwich.

14 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

Which Marriott?  The Courtyard, or the "Downtown" hotel?

I'm booked in the Mariott Downtown currently - didn't realize it was connected.  That's great news if it is.

Yes, the Marriott Downtown is connected to the conv ctr via a hamster tube / skywalk (I did some google kung foo to confirm).  That's also where we're reserved for 2018.  I'm a Hilton points guy, so I felt a little dirty about it ... but it'll be worth it for convenience. :)

8 minutes ago, Adam said:

Omg the food there.  Pretzels.  Cheesesteaks.  Yes, yes yes.  On Saturday last year, we were trying to have a fast lunch and lines were long at the "philly" style foods.  We found 2 stools at the Greek place near "the donut entrance" (as we started calling it) on the NW corner and I could have stayed all day there. 

We're taking a cooler with us this time to take some sausage and other goodies home.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Adam said:

Reading Terminal is fantastic.  The convention center is pretty close to Philly’s Chinatown as well, with some really good hole in the wall authentic gems to be found there. Then there’s the Rittenhouse square area, Fishtown, Northern Liberties, gah so much to eat and drink in that city.  I wish I still lived in Philly!

If you like speak easy style bars there are two I recommend. Franklin Mortgage and Investment Company, and The Ranstead Room.  If you go to El Rey for Mexican food, after settling your tab ask the waiter if they have space.  If so he will lead your group through the kitchen, the basement and out into an alley to the bar.

• Like 2

Just got my ticket for PAX Unplugged!

Looked at the official hotel options, and decided to keep with my booked room.  All of the onPeak stuff is just 'standard' rooms, while I've booked one of the executive rooms in the Marriott.  I'll pay a little extra for the extra space, thank you.

Looks like a meetup at PAX unplugged would be a good idea. It is Lindsey's hometown as well. I, personally, won't be going to Origins this year although Cameron, Lindsey, Puzz, and Zoe will be there. I am staying being to watch over the shop...and Sawdust.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Konas said:

Looks like a meetup at PAX unplugged would be a good idea. It is Lindsey's hometown as well. I, personally, won't be going to Origins this year although Cameron, Lindsey, Puzz, and Zoe will be there. I am staying being to watch over the shop...and Sawdust.

So what does Sawdust do when no one is watching?

I suspect some of my cats are plotting to take over the world...are at least all local cafes. 

3 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

Just got my ticket for PAX Unplugged!

Looked at the official hotel options, and decided to keep with my booked room.  All of the onPeak stuff is just 'standard' rooms, while I've booked one of the executive rooms in the Marriott.  I'll pay a little extra for the extra space, thank you.

I just bought our tix as well.  Just looked at the hotel list and kind of came to the same conclusion.  There are some nice hotels on there for cheaper than the rates I was seeing, but the "larger king room" we have at the Marriott is still the best value for us.  Like you, we prefer to upgrade when we're able.  The Hilton Garden Inn was tempting, though.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Konas said:

You’re not going???   Nnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooo

Edited by tgpumpkin

I pax unplugged in philly?  Hmmm.....I miss Philly sometimes.  Amazing food out there.  A lot to do.  Don’t miss the traffic.  East coast drivers terrible (Chicago...though bad...is better). 

14 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

You’re not going???   Nnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooo

Some one has to watch the shop.

1 minute ago, Konas said:

Some one has to watch the shop.

Well, One could argue once Cam, Puzz, Lindsey, and Zoe were gone, there would be less to have to watch over. 😉

• Like 1

Just a heads up I am out of the shop today at a business seminar so I won't be responsive today.

14 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

I pax unplugged in philly?  Hmmm.....I miss Philly sometimes.  Amazing food out there.  A lot to do.  Don’t miss the traffic.  East coast drivers terrible (Chicago...though bad...is better). 

See, I'll take my Pennsylvania and New York drivers any day over the drivers here in Michigan. At least PA & NY are predictable and let me know when they're about to be aggressive and I can kindly get out of the way. I dunno what the heck anybody's trying to do here in Michigan, and I don't think they want anybody to know, either. If they even know themselves.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Zoe said:

See, I'll take my Pennsylvania and New York drivers any day over the drivers here in Michigan. At least PA & NY are predictable and let me know when they're about to be aggressive and I can kindly get out of the way. I dunno what the heck anybody's trying to do here in Michigan, and I don't think they want anybody to know, either. If they even know themselves.

If you don't like Michigan drivers, you will absolutely hate driving in Minnesota.  They are predictable, but in a bad way.  Most (those that have learned how to drive in other states are exempt) have no clue how to merge.  I've seen people stop at the end of the entrance ramp, turn their head around, and watch traffic that's going at least 60 mph for an opening.  I've seen drivers on the highway either slow down (as the guy entering is also slowing down so they both keep slowing down) or speed up so you can't merge in front of them.  Then my big bugaboo, slow drivers parking themselves in the left lane so no one can get around them.  Then aggressive people doing whatever they feel they must to get around the slow guys.  Tailgating, cutting over when there is barely 1 car length separation.  Uh oh, a gentle curve so I better go 10-15 mph slower just in case.  Then there are the immigrants from Africa or where ever they've never seen snow in person.  Uh oh, a snow flake, so I better go 35 mph on the freeway.  Whoops someone cut me off so I better slow down to 30.  Whoops someone cut me off again so I better slow down to 25.  smh

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

If you don't like Michigan drivers, you will absolutely hate driving in Minnesota.  They are predictable, but in a bad way.  Most (those that have learned how to drive in other states) have no clue how to merge.  I've seen people stop at the end of the entrance ramp, turn their head around, and watch traffic that's going at least 60 mph for an opening.  I've seen drivers on the highway either slow down (as the guy entering is also slowing down so they both keep slowing down) or speed up so you can't merge in front of them.  Then my big bugaboo, slow drivers parking themselves in the left lane so no one can get around them.  Then aggressive people doing whatever they feel they must to get around the slow guys.  Tailgating, cutting over when there is barely 1 car length separation.  Uh oh, a gentle curve so I better got 10-15 mph slower just in case.  Then there are the immigrants from Africa or where ever they've never seen snow in person.  Uh oh, a snow flake, so I better go 35 mph on the freeway.  Whoops someone cut me off so I better slow down to 30.  Whoops someone cut me off again so I better slow down to 25.  smh

This sounds a lot like Michigan.

At least in PA & NY, they just keep going 70mph when you're trying to get on the highway!! And you can count on them to just keep going or move over!! NOT SLOWING DOWN??? why would you do that. why do they do that here. it absolutely boggles my mind. it physically hurts me.

I'll never get over any of these places being able to handle rain, though. Snow is fine, but a ton of rain? Suddenly, tons of traffic because tons of crashes.

1 minute ago, Zoe said:

This sounds a lot like Michigan.

At least in PA & NY, they just keep going 70mph when you're trying to get on the highway!! And you can count on them to just keep going or move over!! NOT SLOWING DOWN??? why would you do that. why do they do that here. it absolutely boggles my mind. it physically hurts me.

I'll never get over any of these places being able to handle rain, though. Snow is fine, but a ton of rain? Suddenly, tons of traffic because tons of crashes.

They think they are being polite.  Four way stops are brutal.  It's my turn but you go first or I don't know who's supposed to go, so I'll just sit here until someone else goes.  Parallel traffic doesn't collide people!!! 

It's ironic.  "Minnesota Nice" is really a slur (nice to your face, but that's it, what with all the Germans and Swedes that live here), but most now think it's a complement, and many try to drive like we still all have model T's.  I can easily tell which neighbors are native to MN and who grew up in Michigan or Wisconsin

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

They think they are being polite.  Four way stops are brutal.  It's my turn but you go first or I don't know who's supposed to go, so I'll just sit here until someone else goes.  Parallel traffic doesn't collide people!!! 

It's ironic.  "Minnesota Nice" is really a slur (nice to your face, but that's it, what with all the Germans and Swedes that live here), but most now think it's a complement, and many try to drive like we still all have model T's.  I can easily tell which neighbors are native to MN and who grew up in Michigan or Wisconsin

Roundabouts are the worst thing imaginable and were one of the most annoying things driving in Minnesota if not the most annoying thing.  

Hate roundabouts.

Jersey jughandles aren't a picnic either....

2 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Roundabouts are the worst thing imaginable and were one of the most annoying things driving in Minnesota if not the most annoying thing.  

Hate roundabouts.

Jersey jughandles aren't a picnic either....

The roundabouts are getting more popular because they are cheaper for the cities than the traffic signals.  If people know how to actually use one, they wouldn't be nearly the problem they are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheAuthorOfOZ said:

I can't afford conventions.

I hear ya.  I've shied away from conventions due to cost myself.  I'm trying Origins out this year since it's RELATIVELY close and driveable.  Still going to pinch the wallet.  I went to a regional convention in Grandcon and that was more manageable on the wallet.  I probably can't do more than 1 convention a year tbh unless its close by.  

5 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

If you don't like Michigan drivers, you will absolutely hate driving in Minnesota.  They are predictable, but in a bad way.  Most (those that have learned how to drive in other states are exempt) have no clue how to merge.  I've seen people stop at the end of the entrance ramp, turn their head around, and watch traffic that's going at least 60 mph for an opening.  I've seen drivers on the highway either slow down (as the guy entering is also slowing down so they both keep slowing down) or speed up so you can't merge in front of them.  Then my big bugaboo, slow drivers parking themselves in the left lane so no one can get around them.  Then aggressive people doing whatever they feel they must to get around the slow guys.  Tailgating, cutting over when there is barely 1 car length separation.  Uh oh, a gentle curve so I better go 10-15 mph slower just in case.  Then there are the immigrants from Africa or where ever they've never seen snow in person.  Uh oh, a snow flake, so I better go 35 mph on the freeway.  Whoops someone cut me off so I better slow down to 30.  Whoops someone cut me off again so I better slow down to 25.  smh

https://www.wired.com/2016/06/nice-minnesotans-dont-get-cruelly-efficient-zipper-merge/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I just bought our tix as well.  Just looked at the hotel list and kind of came to the same conclusion.  There are some nice hotels on there for cheaper than the rates I was seeing, but the "larger king room" we have at the Marriott is still the best value for us.  Like you, we prefer to upgrade when we're able.  The Hilton Garden Inn was tempting, though.  

Glad I booked the room I did.  While tix for Pax are still available.. rooms are quickly disappearing.

The most surprising thing to me is that the day that is sold out in most places is Sunday!  (effectively after the con).

I would have expected Friday night or Saturday night to be the days that sold out quickest.

2 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

Glad I booked the room I did.  While tix for Pax are still available.. rooms are quickly disappearing.

The most surprising thing to me is that the day that is sold out in most places is Sunday!  (effectively after the con).

I would have expected Friday night or Saturday night to be the days that sold out quickest.

We expected similar, but found last year that Friday was pretty quiet.  Saturday was PACKED.  Vendor hall was gridlocked in areas where we could walk freely on Friday. 

We got in the car Sunday morning for a cannonball run back across multiple states to get home, so wasn't able to compare Sunday attendance with the other 2 days - maybe DMG can comment since I know they were there.