Zoxe

What's on your Table?

15 hours ago, WxCougar said:

Playing the Royal Game of Ur at Les Schwab. We got a flat and had to get the tire replaced. Good thing we have something to do with us :).

20190429_133144.jpg

Oh no! Hope you guys had a nice enough time playing while your car got fixed. 😂 Glad nobody got hurt or anything! Flats suck.

1 hour ago, Zoe said:

Oh no! Hope you guys had a nice enough time playing while your car got fixed. 😂 Glad nobody got hurt or anything! Flats suck.

I prefer them to high heels.

10 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I prefer them to high heels.

Oh my gracious, I'm laughing but also groaning. 😂

Just now, Zoe said:

Oh my gracious, I'm laughing but also groaning. 😂

Uh oh.  I better tread lightly.  I don't want @Konas to fire you because you are making so much noise.

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

Uh oh.  I better tread lightly.  I don't want @Konas to fire you because you are making so much noise.

This use of puns tires me...

25 minutes ago, Konas said:

This use of puns tires me...

I've been waiting for @tgpumpkin to talk about the waffle pattern.  Oh well, I guess I just have an inflated sense of his punishment.

23 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I've been waiting for @tgpumpkin to talk about the waffle pattern.  Oh well, I guess I just have an inflated sense of his punishment.

Reading that was worse then getting spanked with a steel belt...

1 hour ago, Konas said:

Reading that was worse then getting spanked with a steel belt...

Coming up with new puns is getting tiresome.  Chain me up.

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

Coming up with new puns is getting tiresome.  Chain me up.

you could always try retreading old puns instead.

The worse that could happen is that they blow out.

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

wow.  Way to run me over there.  

We had a great weekend of gaming. It was cold and rainy here so stayed indoors and played some oldies bit goodies. Memoir 44, Camel Up, and Evolution. Also, smoked some St. Louis Style Spare Ribs. My best work yet. I think I am getting it down.

I wanted to play Gugong, but got outvoted.  We "played" Arabian Nights.  You basically were at the whim of the cards.  No strategy really.  Relatively boring for me.  On the plus side, the rain missed us on Saturday night, so I was out in the yard yesterday in perfect gardening weather.

I had a game night with a co worker and her husband on Friday and we played A Feast for Odin. It was my first crack at it, but I liked it a lot. 

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I had a game night with a co worker and her husband on Friday and we played A Feast for Odin. It was my first crack at it, but I liked it a lot. 

That is definitely one of my current favorite games.  Did you play base game, or with the expansion?

33 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

That is definitely one of my current favorite games.  Did you play base game, or with the expansion?

Just the base. They did not have the expansion. Which was probably a good thing since I was pretty overwhelmed at the start with just the base.

12 minutes ago, Adam said:

Just the base. They did not have the expansion. Which was probably a good thing since I was pretty overwhelmed at the start with just the base.

It can be - there are a lot of options.

The expansion is interesting in that it doesn't really add much more in terms of rules/complexity to the game (each player gets a special hut that only they can build at the start of the game) - but that's about it.

What it does do is replace the action board and add a few more types of goods - which actually makes the game more balanced we find.  Sometimes in the base game you can get the situation of 'I have no good options for what to do with these last X guys' -- the expansion does a good job so that is rarely the case any more.  Plan A may not be available, but Plans B and C are not necessarily as 'useless' as they used to be.

36 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

It can be - there are a lot of options.

The expansion is interesting in that it doesn't really add much more in terms of rules/complexity to the game (each player gets a special hut that only they can build at the start of the game) - but that's about it.

What it does do is replace the action board and add a few more types of goods - which actually makes the game more balanced we find.  Sometimes in the base game you can get the situation of 'I have no good options for what to do with these last X guys' -- the expansion does a good job so that is rarely the case any more.  Plan A may not be available, but Plans B and C are not necessarily as 'useless' as they used to be.

The idea of more choices sounds crazy at first, but your explanation for the last guys does seem to make some sense. I know in our game, the last couple rounds were all about a race to the upgrade spots. 

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

The idea of more choices sounds crazy at first, but your explanation for the last guys does seem to make some sense. I know in our game, the last couple rounds were all about a race to the upgrade spots. 

That tends to be the case (racing for upgrades at endgame)

I'm not so much talking about end-game.. as mid-game and situations of  "I have two guys left, but there is nothing useful/nothing I can do with two guys"

That rarely happens on the new boards because there is a column that takes 1 or 2 guys that also "ends your turn" if you place there.  The rewards are good, so there is almost always something to do with just 1 or 2 guys, other than just "I guess I'll take a fish"

I finally got a copy of Wingspan yesterday. It's sitting on my table, punched and sorted, and ready for me to give it a try tonight.

8 minutes ago, Adam said:

I finally got a copy of Wingspan yesterday. It's sitting on my table, punched and sorted, and ready for me to give it a try tonight.

I have several games in this state: Gugong, Photosynthesis, and Escape Plan come to mind.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

I have several games in this state: Gugong, Photosynthesis, and Escape Plan come to mind.

I do as well, but I've been waiting awhile for this one, so it's jumping to the top of the queue.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

I do as well, but I've been waiting awhile for this one, so it's jumping to the top of the queue.

I was hoping to play one of them on Sunday, but on short notice, all 5 people rsvp'ed they are coming on Sunday, so we'll have 6 people.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

I was hoping to play one of them on Sunday, but on short notice, all 5 people rsvp'ed they are coming on Sunday, so we'll have 6 people.

That's enough for multiple tables!

1 minute ago, Adam said:

That's enough for multiple tables!

We usually don't split up, so I'm guessing either 6 person co-op Nemesis or Massive Darkness.

I just picked up the Dunwich Legacy expansion for the Arkham Horror card game at the local FLGS last night. We also picked up a second core set. They didn't have any of the Mythos packs so I went online and did some ordering.  We also picked up one of the standalone scenarios (forget the name but it had a sphinx on it).  I did oversee that they have Legend of the Five Rings Living Card Game as well, anyone have experience with it? I really liked the RPG when I got to try it at a local con.