Zoxe

What's on your Table?

Nice game, take a little time to understand the mechanic, and come easier after. Simulated 3 players game, final score 100-88-95. Many ways to make points, probably one better than the others. Also lot of colors lol :) 

40236471_528212887622882_8769726149258379264_n.thumb.jpg.9d208e19e800119931384d0a9a1041c9.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Serge Darveau said:

Nice game, take a little time to understand the mechanic, and come easier after. Simulated 3 players game, final score 100-88-95. Many ways to make points, probably one better than the others. Also lot of colors lol :) 

40236471_528212887622882_8769726149258379264_n.thumb.jpg.9d208e19e800119931384d0a9a1041c9.jpg

I don't remember getting the expansion.  Fallen Angel was a little like that.  You had to stumble around a little to figure out the game, but then I went "OK, I like this game."

Scythe-Box-e1519782751659-940x1024.png

My sister and I finished all eight episodes of Scythe: The Rise of Fenris. We both loved it. Had many wow moments. Intriguing story line.  Lots of excitement like  in Pandemic Legacy. Well worth playing. I already want to start the whole campaign over, this time making better decisions as I know what is coming.  I "won" the final game, but as the very final scoring is impacted by how you played throughout the whole campaign, my sister pulled off the overall win.  She is going down next time as I led Fenris to ultimate victory. Ha, ha, mwhahaha.

• Like 1

Okay, finally posting my Scythe update!!!

A few weekends ago, we had a six player game with two newbies who don't play much. This went terribly for me because I focused wayyyy too much on my objective, was really stubborn about my plans, and.. well, I probably had too much hard cider, honestly.

Me (Olga & Changa, making this even more embarrassing, because yes, I ended on the factory): 20 points...
Newbie 1 (Gunter & Nacht): 30 points
R (Connor & Max, from the expansion): 30 points
Newbie 2 (Anna & Woitek): 45 points
A (Akiko & Jiro, from the expansion): 47 points
Isaac (Zehra & Kar): 65 points because of course

Then we played the weekend after, back to our original four, and all of the stars aligned, finally... I think this was the best game we've had so far and it's clear we all figured out wtf to do now.

Isaac (Connor & Max): 58 points
A (I forget who she was playing??): 81 points
Me (Gunter & Nacht): 96 points
R (Akiko & Jiro): 110 points

would have won if R hadn't been ballsy and gone into combat with Isaac at the end, I think. Isaac also made a mistake getting into combat with me at the very end there. He thought I wouldn't put all my power into it (I was almost at max), but I'm an all or nothing kinda gal, especially because I wanted another star on the board. So, even though I only had one piece and he had three, I crushed him. He had nearly zero power, because he was focusing a bit too much on the objective he had, which required him to be at zero. It was an awesome game, though. It felt like all four of us were playing, instead of Isaac & A and R & me playing our own games within one, hahaha. I also didn't partake in any alcohol for that one, so... this lightweight may keep that habit up for Scythe.

• Like 1

@Zoe, sounds like your group may soon be ready for  Scythe: The Rise of Fenris. I would pick up The Wind Gambit first which adds awesome airships. You can play Rise of Fenris without Wind Gambit, but several of the scenarios allow you to use the airships, if you have them.  I love using airships. They enhance, but don't change the game dramatically. And they look COOL!

11 hours ago, RomyCat said:

@Zoe, sounds like your group may soon be ready for  Scythe: The Rise of Fenris. I would pick up The Wind Gambit first which adds awesome airships. You can play Rise of Fenris without Wind Gambit, but several of the scenarios allow you to use the airships, if you have them.  I love using airships. They enhance, but don't change the game dramatically. And they look COOL!

Oh yes. We have all the expansions!!! We're definitely doing the airships next, do that a few times, and then eventually do Rise of Fenris, haha. I'm really pumped about the airships!!! I'm happy to hear they don't change things too much.

We also still need to learn Root, though!

I saw that Root became #1 on the Hotness List for last month on BGG, finally knocking Gloomhaven to #2. (but not for top game overall). I'm now curious about Root. Does it work well for 2 players?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I saw that Root became #1 on the Hotness List for last month on BGG, finally knocking Gloomhaven to #2. (but not for top game overall). I'm now curious about Root. Does it work well for 2 players?

I saw that!

And it does have a lot of 2 player options. There's also a co-op option if you have the expansion. I haven't tried it yet at all but I'll let you know! We'll probably be doing a 4 player game this weekend, but that might give us a rough idea on how it would be for 2 players. I imagine it's pretty different, though.

• Like 1

PLAYED ROOT THIS WEEKEND FINALLY.

I love it just as much as I thought I would. I played the Vagabond and won, but I was initially taking both rewards for my quests (I'm supposed to pick one). We made me get rid of an item, some VP, and some cards to make up for it, but idk how things still would have gone if I had been paying attention. We also think our friend that was playing the cat maybe was doing recruiting incorrectly - we have to check. It was a great first game, but I think it'll be better next time. They also all completely left me alone as the Vagabond. Nobody attacked me, I never had to hide in the woods, etc., and that definitely made my life way too easy. I REALLY love the Vagabond, it's very much my style (and I'm super pumped to use the opossum character card from the expansion at some point), but I'll play a different faction next time to be fair.

I really like how long the game is, as well. I'm not sure if it was just playing the Vagabond, but I felt like we all had enough time to follow through on our various plans. Things build quickly. May be different as the Woodland Alliance, not sure.

Anyway, looking forward to playing it 100% correct next time!

• Like 2

I spent a day playing (mostly) solo games. 

Shakespeare(with expansion Backstage) ~ One of my favorite games (with the expansion). I enjoy getting my play ready for the queen.

Roll Player(with expansion Monsters & Minions) ~ I have never played this game without the expansion and think I would like it way less without it. The expansion gives me the opportunity to fight with the character I am creating. Who doesn't like to kill a few monsters and minions?

One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows (3 Plays) ~ I had the original ODD for some time when I received Forest of Shadows for Mother's Day earlier this year. I like the added challenge of poison.

Ex Libris (2 Plays) ~ This game caught my attention because I like reading and I was not disappointed. I can't decide if I like this game better solo or with friends.

Sagrada (2 Plays) ~ I pull this one out a lot for solo because it is quick and fun.....though most of the time I lose.

Cottage Garden ~ A nice stroll through the garden after a day of gaming

7 Wonders Duel (two plays with sister) ~ The only game of the day that was not solo. Romycat and I needed to work on our 10 x 10 challenge.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zenithsplendor said:

I spent a day playing (mostly) solo games. 
Roll Player(with expansion Monsters & Minions) ~ I have never played this game without the expansion and think I would like it way less without it. The expansion gives me the opportunity to fight with the character I am creating. Who doesn't like to kill a few monsters and minions?

I think Monsters and Minions did for Roll Player what Skullport did for Lords of Waterdeep.  i.e. I wouldn't play the game without the expansion(s).

• Like 2

I got several games because there was a solo component, but I've yet to play them solo.  I get distracted by other things like painting and TV and well gin.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I think Monsters and Minions did for Roll Player what Skullport did for Lords of Waterdeep.  i.e. I wouldn't play the game without the expansion(s).

I have to agree. I liked Lords of Waterdeep but when we added Skullport there was a whole new level to the game.

6 minutes ago, Zenithsplendor said:

I have to agree. I liked Lords of Waterdeep but when we added Skullport there was a whole new level to the game.

I agree with this for both games.  Not that my group gets Waterdeep out that often any more.  Just so many other games to play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

I agree with this for both games.  Not that my group gets Waterdeep out that often any more.  Just so many other games to play.

Yeah.  I need to retire sooner so I can play games more often, but I keep buying wood products.  Sigh.

• Haha 3

We plan to soon play Battle Con Trials of Indines . I noticed a new version is on Kickstarter now. I was given my copy by my Secret Santa last Christmas. Zenith and I both read the rules in December but never got around to playing the game. Now we planning to very, very soon. Rarely does a new  game set around for months unplayed, but that one has. I guess its because we were uncertain if we would like a straight out fight your opponent game.  We're more into Euro, cooperatives, story-telling, and thematic games.  Actually, that covers a huge amount of various games. Just not battle games.  We do like Star Realm so maybe we will like Battle Con.

Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RomyCat said:

We plan to soon play Battle Con Trials of Indines . I noticed a new version is on Kickstarter now. I was given my copy by my Secret Santa last Christmas. Zenith and iI both read the rules in December but never got around to playing the game. Now we planning to very, very soon. Rarely does a new  game set around for months unplayed, but that one has. I guess its because we were uncertain if we would like a straight out fight your opponent game.  We're more into Euro, cooperatives, story-telling, and thematic games.  Actually, that covers a huge amount of various games. Just not battle games.  We do like Star Realm so maybe we will like Battle Con.

I'm with you.  I don't like games where I feel like I'm being picked on and the rules encourage people to pick on each other.  If I wanted to feel picked on, I could just see my siblings.  There was that suite of games where you're at the bar after a campaign.  People are trying to get you drunk and steal from you etc.  Blech.

• Like 1

We played Root again! The game was incredibly close again, although at least half of us felt like the faction we played was really not suited to our play styles. I have a better idea of how to play the Woodland Alliance now, but it's like the Vagabond was MADE for me. My friend had the Vagabond this time and she did great still, but she didn't enjoy it as much as I did, and it didn't come to her quite as easily as it came to me, I guess. We all feel that way about the factions, I think.

I'm curious if my boyfriend would handle the Vagabond well or not. He played the cat this time and won, which was no surprise. We figured any time he got the cat he'd probably win. I want to see him play the Vagabond or the Alliance next time.

Maybe the wrong forum bit here's this....

Game time has admittedly been slow at our place, except for a few hands of MTG. We've been far more inclined to pick up the paintbrush and hack on a painted figure because we can break that into 20 or 40 minute chunks and make some slow but steady headway.

We have some staycation time pending over fall break in a couple weeks, and I've been pondering what we should pick up and play.  It's been over a year since we've delved into Shadows of Brimstone, and I've always wanted to do a mini-campaign for that.  The individual missions are self contained and have some "story" to them, but there isn't any written narrative to tie missions together no story arcs.

So, over the next week or two, I'm going to sift thru the missions I have and write a campaign. Right now I think it will be a linear series (i.e. no "If mission fails, then do X mission next") ... probably a dumpster dive to gather some key fragments and fight a big bad at the end.  But will see what I can come up with.

For bonus points, I may create my own mission. In the original SoB kickstarter there was a stretch goal for a Hell Train expansion that wasn't funded.  Old west cowboys fighting hell demons on a speeding train sounds like fun, and the community has always mourned the absence of this map pack. As it turns out, she bought  Rail Raiders (Ninja Division), which has train tiles that will work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoxe said:

Maybe the wrong forum bit here's this....

Game time has admittedly been slow at our place, except for a few hands of MTG. We've been far more inclined to pick up the paintbrush and hack on a painted figure because we can break that into 20 or 40 minute chunks and make some slow but steady headway.

We have some staycation time pending over fall break in a couple weeks, and I've been pondering what we should pick up and play.  It's been over a year since we've delved into Shadows of Brimstone, and I've always wanted to do a mini-campaign for that.  The individual missions are self contained and have some "story" to them, but there isn't any written narrative to tie missions together no story arcs.

So, over the next week or two, I'm going to sift thru the missions I have and write a campaign. Right now I think it will be a linear series (i.e. no "If mission fails, then do X mission next") ... probably a dumpster dive to gather some key fragments and fight a big bad at the end.  But will see what I can come up with.

For bonus points, I may create my own mission. In the original SoB kickstarter there was a stretch goal for a Hell Train expansion that wasn't funded.  Old west cowboys fighting hell demons on a speeding train sounds like fun, and the community has always mourned the absence of this map pack. As it turns out, she bought  Rail Raiders (Ninja Division), which has train tiles that will work!

Yippie Ki-yay Mother f*

Edited by Barb Bliss
thank goodness for google and finding spelling solutions.