Zoxe

What's on your Table?

Sadly, I ended up not playing this weekend.  I happily started driving to Jaemus' house when I realized that the ONLY decent route from where I was at that time was completely shut down.  Imagine a town with 3 major freeways and the one in the middle (that is basically a really long interchange to get from the freeway I was on to where I wanted to get) was shut down.  Saturday 6 pm, lots of people out, half of them are looking at their phone more than the road trying to figure out how to get the h* out of there.  Ubers never getting over 20 mph.  I spent 30 minutes trying to get 2 miles west.  I took a right on a major road that, in theory, would give me a outlet to get farther west and north.  No dice.  I could only turn right which, unfortunately forced me to head east around a lake/park.  Then I'm downtown with Saturday evening traffic.  And of course it starts to thunderstorm.  More ubers and people looking at their phones.  So now I decide to just go home.  There are only 3 bridges to get across the river.  I decided on bridge 3.  Only to find out once the traffic grinds to a halt that the road goes from 4 lanes to 1 because of more construction.  Some people were peeling off onto what I thought was just an island.  Well they must know something, so I took a flyer.  I could get around the stop light jam up, but I had to take more obscure back roads.  I didn't get over 30 mph until the last mile back to my house.  By this time, my 18 minute drive had bloomed to 80 minutes to get back to where I started.  If I went to the plan b route to Jaemus' house it would take another 25 minutes.  Bzzzz  I decided to just drive into the garage and pour myself a cocktail instead.

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, yatescory said:

I honestly don't know how some of you(looking at you @tgpumpkin too) haven't played this game.  It is pretty darn easy to grasp and an incredibly fun, engaging experience.  I've played it around 25 times and honestly, every single time the game unfolds differently and new strategies blossom.  Its one of those games that once you play it, it makes you want to reevaluate how you rank/rate your game collection.  Honestly, its one of those games for me that I look at my collection and say, "I don't really need all of these games as long as I have TM."    After about 3 plays, I knew it was easily my #2 game of all time (with potential to number one)...hands down.  I have always been more of a euro gamer but the thing that draws me to RPG style games is the conversations that I can imagine that happen at the table.  With eurogames, that does happen to some extent but not in the same way.  However with Mars, Brian and I are constantly in a dialogue about how the game state shifts in interesting ways.  After the game we will spend 20 minutes or so just discussing how the game evolved and how certain decisions caused shifts in the game that had big time domino effects.  

I played it once, and my only thought was "big whoop".

5 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I played it once, and my only thought was "big whoop".

Well, thats how I felt about Scythe so I can relate to the feeling of a very popular game not really doing anything for you.   I think Scythe is ok and all just don't see the big hoopla.   I'm surprised though Barb!  Anything particular that you don't like about it?

11 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

I bought my copy at grandcon and sadly feel terrible not having played t yet.  I need to find a group that plays and jump in.  I’ve been trying to play the same couple of games last couple of months so I don’t have to keep relearning them.  It will get to the table eventually.

I almost sent you a message on Friday saying you should drive down to Peoria to play with us but I thought that might be asking a bit much...haha.  It would be worth it though!  

10 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

Played more Gloomhaven this weekend.

Retired my Cragheart and unlocked "Music Note" -- definitely think that one is going to be fun based on the one scenario I've gone through with it.

New Goal - Win four boss scenarios to unlock "Angry Face".  That may take a while :)

I got a good bit of Gloomhaven in myself. Krom the Brute’s treasure hoard grows!

I just did a thing. I’ve never put together minis, painted them, and then I kind of just wandered in. Hopefully this goes well. 

A5A0785C-6863-488A-94DE-EB8CAA75A97E.jpeg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, ElysianPeace said:

I just did a thing. I’ve never put together minis, painted them, and then I kind of just wandered in. Hopefully this goes well. 

I believe in you!! Excited to see you post your first finished mini.

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, ElysianPeace said:

Oh nice you play the same army as @Konas !!!!

Got these delivered yesterday! Found out our local FLGS has tournaments and a league so I'm dusting off my cards and joining them!

IMG_0381.jpg

14 minutes ago, Lindsey said:

Got these delivered yesterday! Found out our local FLGS has tournaments and a league so I'm dusting off my cards and joining them!

IMG_0381.jpg

Nice.  Glad to see someone can be a master of gravity.  Now when I trip, I just go down like a sack of wet flour.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I gave High Society a go last night. It’s an auction game by Reiner Knizia where the players are all competing to be the fanciest member of the social circle.  The art has a fun French Art Nouveau look to it.  The mechanics are simple but enjoyable.  I lost both times, because while I had amassed the fanciest cool stuff, the player with the least amount of money at the end is disqualified, because now they are poor and no one wants to go to their parties.  Hmmm, as I look at my dragon’s hoard of DMG gear, I’m understanding why I was bad at this game..

Edited by LuckyIke
  • Haha 3

Finally got Castell out at the FLGS yesterday.  The theme and presentation are certainly unique on this one: you are a team of castellers in Catalonia traveling around to local competitions making human towers, training, and recruiting more people to your team.  It is quite puzzle-y, and there is a high amount of replayability due to the variable set ups and draws.  It is a bit point-salady, but with a good balance (yes, pun intended).  Also the draw bag is the most giant draw bag in the history of draw bags.  It’s velvet, loud and takes charge of the room!

Inaugural game set up:

E7A08407-DB0E-48AE-8112-B188BBB1FAB6.thumb.jpeg.551e00fecc5f19efe06a2060283dde70.jpeg

95140FEC-714C-4F63-A1DB-6EDE3E32DD81.png.6cab1a8d5c10776c005e390db6df7756.png

Here are some real-world examples:

0EEA1C1D-E132-4E20-8B81-47335A1B1AC5.jpeg.ab4eb0c112b684365cc8a70170aface3.jpeg

E1EDD0A5-6CB4-429D-A61C-A4F1E1D942EC.jpeg.3410e4ca50bab09cd328485ace606a37.jpeg

• Like 2

I saw this on TV for the first time a few months ago. I thought, “Wow, those people are crazy.” It was fun to watch. I did’t know someone made it into a board game.  I would give it a go if someone brought it to a gaming meet-up

10 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

Finally got Castell out at the FLGS yesterday.  The theme and presentation are certainly unique on this one: you are a team of castellers in Catalonia traveling around to local competitions making human towers, training, and recruiting more people to your team.  It is quite puzzle-y, and there is a high amount of replayability due to the variable set ups and draws.  It is a bit point-salady, but with a good balance (yes, pun intended).  Also the draw bag is the most giant draw bag in the history of draw bags.  It’s velvet, loud and takes charge of the room!

Inaugural game set up:

E7A08407-DB0E-48AE-8112-B188BBB1FAB6.thumb.jpeg.551e00fecc5f19efe06a2060283dde70.jpeg

I knew nothing about any of this and I am astounded.

12 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

Inaugural game set up:

We Castell at the shop every Thursday...around 3pm. With beers.

• Haha 2

We played DnD at the shop for the crew with a guest GM from DnD Adventurer's League. He was amazing. At home we played Arkham Horror LCG. Love that game although we are deciding if it is too hard or if it just because we are beginners. Anyone play it out there?

• Like 1

Finally got Gloomhaven back out of the broken token organizer.  Took a bit to wrap my brain around the setup and then we were off on the first mission.  We'll play the starter again as part of a 'formal' kickoff of our Campaign tomorrow.

• Like 1

Nice!  I got two good scenarios in with my group on Saturday.  Without getting into scenario specifics, we decided to try to see if we could race through a long dungeon as fast as we could, leaving several monsters chasing after us.  It made for a tense, exciting set of rounds; we pulled it off by the skin of our teeth.  It reminded me a bit of pulling a train of baddies through a zone in the old Everquest game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Finally got Gloomhaven back out of the broken token organizer.  Took a bit to wrap my brain around the setup and then we were off on the first mission.  We'll play the starter again as part of a 'formal' kickoff of our Campaign tomorrow.

Nice.  I’m not letting myself start gloomhaven until I finish pandemic legacy and Charterstone first.

i still debate if I should buy the reusable stickers or just go all in and jack up my board with the standard ones :) 

2 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

Nice.  I’m not letting myself start gloomhaven until I finish pandemic legacy and Charterstone first.

i still debate if I should buy the reusable stickers or just go all in and jack up my board with the standard ones :) 

We're just going for it. Stickers and all!

I recall reading that there is an expansion planned for it. We'll be lucky to complete the first box of content in this lifetime, let alone an expac. 😉😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zoxe said:

We're just going for it. Stickers and all!

I recall reading that there is an expansion planned for it. We'll be lucky to complete the first box of content in this lifetime, let alone an expac. 😉😉

Hmmm.  I got the solo scenarios when I backed it last summer.  I’m sure that’ll extend things a little bit.  

17 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

I got reusable stickers in case I every wanted to restart. But with so many scenarios, I don’t know if I will ever make it through the first time.  I did like the layout map thing that came with the reusable stickers.