Zoxe

What's on your Table?

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2018 at 8:11 AM, Lindsey said:

I once declared that I didn't like Euro games but then we played Alien Frontier and Viticulture next and I had to immediately declare that I was an idiot. 

I'm sorry that you were an idiot.  The good news is that you've been healed!

Tuscany is a MUST OWN in my opinion.  I'm not certain about how the essential editions of the game are separated, but in the original, the Mamas and the Papas, the mortgaging farmland and the extended seasons board were all packaged with Tuscany.  I enjoy playing with the buildings cards as well.  I've also got the Moor visitors expansion and its pretty great.

Definitely a wonderful worker placement game for people that are not into fantasy (and hence would give Lords of Waterdeep the stink eye).

Edited by Doc Rissel
grammar boo boo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Barkers Row:  I won the first game in crushing fashion and got crushed the second game.  Note: all the drunk rubes were in the pink elephant coco tile.

Review: The game was cute (especially the rubes and the attractions), but not Grimm Forest cute.  

image.png.0b9c8b62703b7c460f4350bb15086dfb.png

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I just got in a game of Yamatai, carcassone, and a weird word matching association game. Dragged my redheart CoCo to the meetup and showed it off/shared some tiles out for play. The houses from Yamatai were awkwardly bulky for the round wells and sculpts. I’m not sure how well they’d do in a square either.

Edited by ElysianPeace
Typing

About to play Harry Potter Trivia Pursuit. I’m prepared to loss.....again. After that going to try out Monoply Gamer. Normally I stay far away from Monoply, but this version plays far different than the original. I’ve heard good reviews about it and wanted to give it a shot.

On 3/18/2018 at 6:02 PM, Barb Bliss said:

Barkers Row:  I won the first game in crushing fashion and got crushed the second game.  Note: all the drunk rubes were in the pink elephant coco tile.

Review: The game was cute (especially the rubes and the attractions), but not Grimm Forest cute.  

image.png.0b9c8b62703b7c460f4350bb15086dfb.png

You have such a cool room for gaming.  I love your little table showing off your DMG stuff.  I hope to do the same soon.  Would love to play games at your place!  ps...beautiful Bolivian Rosewood coco.

On 3/22/2018 at 12:25 AM, ElysianPeace said:

I just got in a game of Yamatai, carcassone, and a weird word matching association game. Dragged my redheart CoCo to the meetup and showed it off/shared some tiles out for play. The houses from Yamatai were awkwardly bulky for the round wells and sculpts. I’m not sure how well they’d do in a square either.

How do you like Yamatai Elysian?  I really love Five Tribes.

13 hours ago, RomyCat said:

About to play Harry Potter Trivia Pursuit. I’m prepared to loss.....again. After that going to try out Monoply Gamer. Normally I stay far away from Monoply, but this version plays far different than the original. I’ve heard good reviews about it and wanted to give it a shot.

Good thing you were prepared to lose, Romycat. Cause you did. But so did I. My daughter won. She has never lost Harry Potter Trivia Pursuit. I didn't mind Monopoly Gamer as much as I thought I would. It was kinda fun getting hit by lots of red and green turtles and losing my coins. I even had to sell some of my properties to cover my turtle sell coin loss. I would play it again. Congrats to Romycat on winning Monopoly Gamer.

• Haha 1

I'm ready to take you on in Monopoly Gamer.  Tempting to buy a few more characters to increase the fun.

15 hours ago, yatescory said:

You have such a cool room for gaming.  I love your little table showing off your DMG stuff.  I hope to do the same soon.  Would love to play games at your place!  ps...beautiful Bolivian Rosewood coco.

It's my dining room.  :)  Unfortunately we've got a Ash borer infestation in my neighborhood, and the city cut down one of my ash trees.  I'm getting sunshine in there that I never got before.  I'm going to have to find another place to display my DMG booty.  

I played my first "game" of Gloomhaven on Saturday.  Jaemus, Will, and Keith have played the tutorial a few times before, but graciously agreed to do it again so I could try playing it with people that sort of know what's going on.  It was pretty fun. 

On 3/24/2018 at 6:05 PM, yatescory said:

How do you like Yamatai Elysian?  I really love Five Tribes.

I haven’t played five tribes! My brain was a little dead that night, but it was definitely a nice game. I like being able to do back to back turns if you choose your turns correctly and there’s also something to be said for the various powers you can purchase! Setup is pretty simple and play made sense quickly. It’s very easy to get in your own way with stupid mistakes, but you also have a lot of possible strategies for victory. Overall would play again, holding back on buying while I think about how often I could get it to the table. Also in case it matter visually very pretty. 

35 minutes ago, ElysianPeace said:

I haven’t played five tribes! My brain was a little dead that night, but it was definitely a nice game. I like being able to do back to back turns if you choose your turns correctly and there’s also something to be said for the various powers you can purchase! Setup is pretty simple and play made sense quickly. It’s very easy to get in your own way with stupid mistakes, but you also have a lot of possible strategies for victory. Overall would play again, holding back on buying while I think about how often I could get it to the table. Also in case it matter visually very pretty. 

Thanks for the heads up!  I think I'll just stick with playing Five Tribes since you weren't blow away.  Too many great games to be playing middle of the road stuff.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Rise of Moloch arrived yesterday.  I was really hoping I would have been done painting Massive Darkness before this arrived.  Not to mention Darkness Sabotage is probably not too far off.  I'm kind of wondering why I pledged this game as it's similar to others I have.  I think it was the killer clowns that got me.

Edited by Barb Bliss

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Rise of Muloch arrived yesterday.  I was really hoping I would have been done painting Massive Darkness before this arrived.  Not to mention Darkness Sabotage is probably not too far off.  I'm kind of wondering why I pledged this game as it's similar to others I have.  I think it was the killer clowns that got me.

I went back and forth a ton on whether to back this one or not. I passed, and ended up with some regret on that decision. I'll probably pick up the retail version at some point though.

19 minutes ago, Adam said:

I went back and forth a ton on whether to back this one or not. I passed, and ended up with some regret on that decision. I'll probably pick up the retail version at some point though.

I found the whole "Gentlemen!" thing annoying.  Especially when their club was half women characters.

Posted (edited)

On my table are Legendary creatures and Scott Pilgrims precious little card game. The KS fulfilled quite recently for Legendary and it’s a cute interesting game that I’ve ran through the rules and basic actions of, but was to tired for a whole game. Scott Pilgrims is a really irritating game that is a wonderful example of how even a grammatically correct rulebook can  be terrible and trying to do more in one game then you should. The artwork is very true to the IP, but I ended up kind of just yelling at the game and calling it Scott a lot. I’m going to run through a solo play or two acting as more then one person to see if I can’t figure out how to make it better. 

Edited by ElysianPeace
So I can add do not buy Scott Pilgrim Precious Little Card Game

11 minutes ago, ElysianPeace said:

On my table are Legendary creatures and Scott Pilgrims precious little card game. The KS fulfilled quite recently for Legendary and it’s a cute interesting game that I’ve ran through the rules and basic actions of, but was to tired for a whole game. Scott Pilgrims is a really irritating game that is a wonderful example of how even a grammatically correct rulebook can  be terrible and trying to do more in one game then you should. The artwork is very true to the IP, but I ended up kind of just yelling at the game and calling it Scott a lot. I’m going to run through a solo play or two acting as more then one person to see if I can’t figure out how to make it better. 

Really glad you posted this since I was thinking about picking up the game at our next con.

I played Rise of Moloch twice on Saturday.  Doug wanted to be the nemesis, so we let him do that.  We played the first chapter twice.  The first time Doug killed us.  The second time, after knowing more, we killed him.  I think I need to dig more into how to play the nemesis, maybe add some house rules, so the play is a little more even.  We did play the "one shot" vs the campaign, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Note: forecast changed from 5-10" to 6-12" over the next 2 days :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lindsey said:

Really glad you posted this since I was thinking about picking up the game at our next con.

Realistically it could just be me and another friend or two going though  and getting ourselves messed up, but I don’t think so. Which is why I’m giving it a more chances personally, but definitely warning off new buyers. 

Posted (edited)

On Friday I got to try out Sekigahara, a really interesting two-player game by GMT, for those who like strategy/war games.  It is set during the reunification of Japan at the hands of Tokugawa in 1600.

It incorporated really interesting hand management, unique combat mechanics, and hidden unit composition, all of which combined for a really fun, dynamic experience.  There are loyalty cards that can be played at strategic times to bring your opponent’s played unit to your side of the battle, which fit nicely with the theme as some of the parties involved in the conflict were prone to switching sides.

The game takes place over a seven-week time period, so while you do muster a few more units, as your troops start getting worn down it becomes hard to replace losses. I liked this as it struck a balance between the single battle archetype and the massive, strategic axis and allies type game with lots of unit building.  This game was very tight in its conception, and has an almost crisp feel, and doesn’t get bogged down in too many little rules and exceptions.

The board is a nice sepia map of central Japan, and the unit components are nice chunky rectangular pieces that you stack.  My only quibbles for components were the back of the card graphics are weak, and the castles on the map are often hard to find.  Some 3d castles, something like the fortresses from Rising Sun, would look great. 

We played twice and the Tokugawa side won both times.  I think we’ll give it another go this coming Friday, now that we’ve got the learning games under our belts.

Turn one after initial movement, from Tokugawa perspective:

2BA87104-2B80-4B43-A978-B7167C0D43F2.thumb.jpeg.21c8e1f48171e49f84854b93babe5d65.jpeg

And yes, much sake was consumed during the course of the  evening.

Edited by LuckyIke
  • Like 2

Saloon Tycoon: Learning the rules on a simulated 4 players.

Some mistakes at the beginning, but the rulebooks are easy to understand and the reference cards are usefull. Nice mechanic to buid your saloon and your ranch. Each step give points and they have some for unfinish tile. Cardstands are usefull too :):) 

30443074_1671891889533462_1078791292495855616_n.thumb.jpg.cd189b66b1a9f7870c7929646618ca83.jpg30516115_1671891729533478_6100770704871915520_n.thumb.jpg.a14d9d64d9e46bc0cfc4bc19ab054ed1.jpg30415322_1671891616200156_4016559862241558528_n.jpg.3bd3430252b6bdecb0727fbb32900e9e.jpg

• Like 3

Roll Player and Monsters and Minions expansion showed up on Friday afternoon.  Was all set to give it a spin on Sunday, but got a call an hour before post time that Tracy took his partner to the ER on Sunday morning.  I don't have details yet, but word was Brad was responding to Nitro, which leads me to believe it was a heart episode of some kind.  I hope he's going to be OK.  Brad used to work over a half wall from me for about 6 months.  Booming laugh which is fun when you are not at work, but pretty annoying when you are trying to work.

I got Scythe onto my table over the weekend, but I'm still watching videos and reading and re-reading the rules. It's seems like it makes sense, but every time I go to start I feel intimidated and hold off to do more research. It's weird, I've never had a game affect me in this way before.

From September through this past Tuesday, some friends and I played Legends of Andor each week, going from beginning to end across all 3 main games (17 total missions).  We had a repeat a few due to losing, so we played roughly 20 games.  There were weeks i simply didn't bother putting it away.

We are about to start Pandemic Legacy as our next co-op continuity excursion.  Wish us luck!