So I’ve been noticing wood way more with regards to furniture, collectibles, art. It’s been driving me crazy. I can’t really identify things with some degree of certainty. So this is the official place to put wood inquiries of that nature and maybe have more eyes take a guess. 

To that end here are three items that I stare at every time I go to my grandmothers house. The table is heavy but the underside of the top has a base of some other wood. The top is definitely wood as I can feel the grain. I do not know if it was stained. The foxes are smoother and the darker wood is heavier then the lighter one. I can supply more photos to help with deductions. 

4EB0B4A7-6570-4615-A136-B4FF1A60BD3A.jpeg

9ACAE3BE-01DE-4104-BF92-0ADB32E0754D.jpeg

Posted (edited)

The table seems to be made from at least 4 different woods and looks cool. I’m not even going to try to guess what kind and leave it to the wood experts.

(Okay, I’m going to say Walnut is one, just because if feels right. Maybe Oak is another.)

Edited by RomyCat

So part of the reason it looks like four and not the two I’m considering (aside from the underside reinforcing third wood) is the way They photographed. I’ll take another shot for reference!

So I think in the front we have two different woods. The one to the right is what photographed very darkly at the ends of the first photo. It seems to match the board you can see in the back which is the wood that looks super reflective in the first photo. And in person it is super reflective. In person the very dark and super reflective woods are the same. I think the grainier woods are just showcasing a very linear grain and a broader grain in the same wood type. 

For my foxy friends walnut and oak are good guesses. I’m going to go look them up and stare! Thanks for taking a look Romycat!

image.jpg

10 hours ago, ElysianPeace said:

So part of the reason it looks like four and not the two I’m considering (aside from the underside reinforcing third wood) is the way They photographed. I’ll take another shot for reference!

So I think in the front we have two different woods. The one to the right is what photographed very darkly at the ends of the first photo. It seems to match the board you can see in the back which is the wood that looks super reflective in the first photo. And in person it is super reflective. In person the very dark and super reflective woods are the same. I think the grainier woods are just showcasing a very linear grain and a broader grain in the same wood type. 

For my foxy friends walnut and oak are good guesses. I’m going to go look them up and stare! Thanks for taking a look Romycat!

Dude, your avatar is rotting my brain.  Is it a parade picture at a 90% rotation?  And what is the character on the right?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

Dude, your avatar is rotting my brain.  Is it a parade picture at a 90% rotation?  And what is the character on the right?

Yup! When I used a site to shrink the file it rotated the picture and I didn’t mind it. I’ve always just heard them called fu dogs or lion dogs. Wikipedia tells me they are Chinese lion guardians and that only westerners call them fuu dogs. I was being funny. (I know I’m bad at it.) It’s just a placeholder till I find something I like more. 

Edited by ElysianPeace
full disclosure

I want to say some portions of the table are White Ash, but @Konas is probably the best one to ask. I can only kind of identify woods when they're not directly in our shop. But.. I'd guess that, looking at the table picture, starting on the right side, the third slat down looks very much like White Ash to me. I'd say a few of those slats with similar, wide, spread-out grain are probably also Ash, but I'm not certain. The slat directly touching the third one down on the right (so third down on the left, and all the others looking like it, every other slat on the left) might be Black Walnut.. Then there's a sort of holographic-ish wood going on in there, especially on the right side, and I'm not sure what that is at all. I can think of some possibilities, but I dunno!

I ADORE those little fox figurines!!!

White ash does make sense! It didn’t really occur to me since I don’t see it as often as your other woods, but yeah the grain pattern makes sense for it. Good one Zoe! The dark wood and the holographic wood are the same. They just photographed differently from the lighting. 

Me too! I asked and apparently we have a third one hidden around the house somewhere. So I have to find that one too. 

• Like 1

Well this is pretty tough without seeing them in person but I believe White Ash and Red Oak with a stain on them. I am almost positive about that but wouldn't be surprised to find out that its white and red oak.

As for the figures, the one on the left appears to be genuine mahogany. The one on the right could be so many things. Cherry with a stain. Maple. Old old yellowheart. Not much grain to see there. Let me know what you find out.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheAuthorOfOZ said:

Sorry, but I just had to :D

wood.jpg

I think we have that book in the shop